PDA

View Full Version : A few photos from Duxford and Gatow Berlin LARGE



WTE_Ibis
07-08-2008, 03:54 AM
Duxford and American Museum


http://premium1.uploadit.org/Ibissix//P1050698.JPG
http://premium1.uploadit.org/Ibissix//P1050693.JPG
http://premium1.uploadit.org/Ibissix//P1050707.JPG
http://premium1.uploadit.org/Ibissix//P1050783.JPG
http://premium1.uploadit.org/Ibissix//P1050810.JPG
http://premium1.uploadit.org/Ibissix//P1050804.JPG


Luftwaffen Museum Gatow Berlin

http://premium1.uploadit.org/Ibissix//P1040592.JPG
http://premium1.uploadit.org/Ibissix//1.4.jpg
http://premium1.uploadit.org/Ibissix//P1050762a.JPG
http://premium1.uploadit.org/Ibissix//P1050763a.JPG
http://premium1.uploadit.org/Ibissix//P1050764.JPG

Cheers
Ibis.



.

Xiolablu3
07-08-2008, 04:55 AM
WOnderful, thanks!

Could you tell me what the German Jet is please?

Is that a SPitfire XIV at the top or a later version?

Bewolf
07-08-2008, 05:03 AM
Originally posted by Xiolablu3:
WOnderful, thanks!

Could you tell me what the German Jet is please?

Is that a SPitfire XIV at the top or a later version?

The Jet is an "Alpha Jet", a close support and trainer aircraft. it was also used by the UK.

More here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_Jet

csThor
07-08-2008, 05:05 AM
It's an Alpha Jet. Basically an early light ground-attack aircraft.

@ Ibis - You were in Gatow? Too bad you didn't see the real gems - a Fw 190 A-6 and a Fw 190 D-9 in the process of reconstruction. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

stathem
07-08-2008, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by Xiolablu3:
Is that a SPitfire XIV at the top or a later version?

It looks like it's got the J-EJ code on, so it would be the FR XIVE, MV293, seen here at last years FL

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/griffnav/FL2007/FL2007m.jpg

WTE_Ibis
07-08-2008, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by csThor:
It's an Alpha Jet. Basically an early light ground-attack aircraft.

@ Ibis - You were in Gatow? Too bad you didn't see the real gems - a Fw 190 A-6 and a Fw 190 D-9 in the process of reconstruction. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

---------------------------------------------

Hi csThor ,
Yes tell me about it m8, they wouldn't allow us to see them but promised to email me a video but of course it didn't happen.
As I live in Australia it's a long way back .
Cheers,
Ibis.
The other questions have been answered correctly guys.


.

csThor
07-08-2008, 06:10 AM
That's nothing unusual, Ibis. I'm a member of the museum's "booster club" and know a number of people, but the museum as a whole is still on a military installation which raises a number of security issues. Unfortunately the Bundeswehr considers the museum not to have any priority so expecting a reply from them is ... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

The A-6 is pretty much the marriage of parts dug out from various wreck sites, FlugWerk's first fuselage and a BMW 801 found at Rhein-Main airport a few years ago. The D-9, however, is a wreck lifted from Lake Schwerin in the 1980s.

Enforcer572005
07-09-2008, 01:16 AM
I was surprised to see the swastika on the Storch. I wasnt aware the German govt started allowing that to be placed on planes in museums.

They couldnt even have them in model kits, from what I've read/heard over the yrs.

Great shots btw. Really nice. Thanx for posting those.

DaddyAck
07-09-2008, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by stathem:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Xiolablu3:
Is that a SPitfire XIV at the top or a later version?

It looks like it's got the J-EJ code on, so it would be the FR XIVE, MV293, seen here at last years FL

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/griffnav/FL2007/FL2007m.jpg </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm, I like the pic of the spitty. But good googa mooga the Bouchon in the foreground...blah. I think the mounting of anything else but a DB60X to a 109 airframe just looks wrong. I mean its not just the Bouchon but the Avia S-199 with it's Jumo too, that is a rather goofy looking bird as well.

csThor
07-09-2008, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by Enforcer572005:
I was surprised to see the swastika on the Storch. I wasnt aware the German govt started allowing that to be placed on planes in museums.

They couldnt even have them in model kits, from what I've read/heard over the yrs.

Great shots btw. Really nice. Thanx for posting those.

The law generally forbids the use of the swastika. Exceptions are granted for museums, school books, educational and documentational stuff and art. Model kits and PC games are considered toys and do not fall under the former categories.

nsteense
07-10-2008, 01:50 AM
The picture of the Fieseler is taken in Duxford.

WTE_Ibis
07-10-2008, 03:26 AM
Originally posted by nsteense:
The picture of the Fieseler is taken in Duxford.

================================================

It would appear that you are quite right sir, well spotted, I don't know how that happened .
That also means that the 190 engine is also from Duxford.
So here is the one from Gatow:

http://premium1.uploadit.org/Ibissix//P1040537.JPG

Plus a few more:

http://premium1.uploadit.org/Ibissix//P1040521.JPG


You may have to ask the German speakers to enlighten you on this one.
http://premium1.uploadit.org/Ibissix//P1040522.JPG

http://premium1.uploadit.org/Ibissix//P1040541.JPG
http://premium1.uploadit.org/Ibissix//P1040542.JPG
http://premium1.uploadit.org/Ibissix//P1040543.JPG
http://premium1.uploadit.org/Ibissix//P1040552.JPG
http://premium1.uploadit.org/Ibissix//P1040553.JPG

The only one I know for sure here is the
English electric Lightening, one of my favourite old jets.
http://premium1.uploadit.org/Ibissix//P1040595.JPG

============================================
QUOTE]Originally posted by csThor:
That's nothing unusual, Ibis. I'm a member of the museum's "booster club" and know a number of people, but the museum as a whole is still on a military installation which raises a number of security issues. Unfortunately the Bundeswehr considers the museum not to have any priority so expecting a reply from them is ... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

The A-6 is pretty much the marriage of parts dug out from various wreck sites, FlugWerk's first fuselage and a BMW 801 found at Rhein-Main airport a few years ago. The D-9, however, is a wreck lifted from Lake Schwerin in the 1980s.[/QUOTE]
============================

Thanks for that info Thor, much appreciated.



.

WTE_Ibis
07-11-2008, 01:03 AM
Can anyone translate the story on the rocket assisted F104-G jet?

woofiedog
07-11-2008, 02:02 AM
Thank's for the photos... looks like a great place to spend some time in. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

nsteense
07-11-2008, 03:37 AM
This is what the sign with starfighter says:

The ZELL procedure was a research program with the purpose of continuing to operate the F104G, even after the destruction of a runway. A Starfighther would be equipped with an additional boosterrocket and launched like a rocket from a launchpad.
The testlfights began in 1963 in California under the direction of Lockheed. The first start occured in april 1963 with airplane DA+102. From May 1966 onwards, Airplane DB+127, the first research plane built in Germany, first flew with American pilots, later on with German pilots.
Because of high cost, (one start 115000DM 57500euro ) an end was put to the test flights. The system never became operational with the Luftwaffe.
The airplane displayed, DB+127, carries besides the booster, an atomic bomb B-43 on the centerline.

Although I didn't see it on the picture...

Bremspropeller
07-11-2008, 04:31 AM
It's hidden behind the wing-tank.

Bo_Nidle
07-11-2008, 05:33 AM
The Zero Length Launcher concept was also tested out using the F100 Super Sabre. The idea was to allow fighters to be deployed without the need for an airfield to launch from or to be able to operate from a bombed out airfield. Theres a good picture on the front cover of Wings of Fame Volume 2 together with a brief article on the concept and its association to the F-104 which is dealt with in-depth.

Found these small pics of the F-104 Zell in use:
http://www.combatreform2.com/zelf104starfighter.jpg

http://www.bredow-web.de/Luftwaffenmuseum/Kampfjets/Starfighter/F-104_Geschichte/a_F-104_G_Zell_2.jpg

It was spectacular if nothing else! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif