PDA

View Full Version : The course of the war

Wannabe-Pilot
11-10-2004, 10:56 AM
I was just wondering...

By late '43 (everybody knows this) Japanese were in a world of hurt. Most importantly, regarding the war in the air. Inexperienced pilots + inferior machines = wholesale slaughter. With their best pilots dead or disabled, and still flying, for the most part, Ki-43s and Zeros, they were facing the Hellcats, Corsairs, Lightnings, and very soon Mustangs and Jugs.

And although the new Georges and Ki-84s were good planes, poor pilot quality, insufficient numbers and logistical problems greatly diminished their effectiveness.

This is just basic stuff. Everybody knows it. What I was wondering, how did this effect the actual day-to-day aerial combat in the latter part of the war, from mid '43 to the second PI campaign (after that it really was over). Did the Japanese still manage to give the Allies a bloody nose? Or was it basically a one side show, with allied planes achieving 10:1 ratio in aerial kills? How would a typical dogfight end, in favour of the Allies, Japanese (unlikely) or about even (which basically meant that, given the numbers, Allies won)? I read somewhere that Hellcats managed a 5000:270 kill ratio?!

As a side note, is there any chance of getting a flyable George in the forseable future? Maybe in the next patch?

Wannabe-Pilot
11-10-2004, 10:56 AM
I was just wondering...

By late '43 (everybody knows this) Japanese were in a world of hurt. Most importantly, regarding the war in the air. Inexperienced pilots + inferior machines = wholesale slaughter. With their best pilots dead or disabled, and still flying, for the most part, Ki-43s and Zeros, they were facing the Hellcats, Corsairs, Lightnings, and very soon Mustangs and Jugs.

And although the new Georges and Ki-84s were good planes, poor pilot quality, insufficient numbers and logistical problems greatly diminished their effectiveness.

This is just basic stuff. Everybody knows it. What I was wondering, how did this effect the actual day-to-day aerial combat in the latter part of the war, from mid '43 to the second PI campaign (after that it really was over). Did the Japanese still manage to give the Allies a bloody nose? Or was it basically a one side show, with allied planes achieving 10:1 ratio in aerial kills? How would a typical dogfight end, in favour of the Allies, Japanese (unlikely) or about even (which basically meant that, given the numbers, Allies won)? I read somewhere that Hellcats managed a 5000:270 kill ratio?!

As a side note, is there any chance of getting a flyable George in the forseable future? Maybe in the next patch?