PDA

View Full Version : to tracer or not to tracer....

shadowtooth
12-21-2004, 01:20 PM
well, there may not be a choice in IL2, but historically, this was a question with many answers. In WWII, those units who flew without tracers scored more kills and hits and fewer losses than those that flew tracers. Firing tracers is like having your cell phone go off in the quietest part of a movie. Everyone knows you are there. Tracers were more important as a distraction than as a reliable aiming guide; the trajectories are hopelessly different from AP and API. Incendiares will clearly show hits by the bright flashes upon impact which can be seen in vintage gun cam footage. It was felt that tracer was most effective in Bomber defense and ground attack. In fact the allies came up with a 'headlight round' the M21, designed to be as bright as possible from the front by boring holes near the bullet tail for the trace to flare outwards. Any attacking fighter would see what he was flying into and many would turn away for another try.

In air to air combat tracers are more a danger than a help. But man are they pretty at sunset! Use the sight.
{ref; Flying Guns World War II by Williams and Gustin.}

LStarosta
12-21-2004, 01:53 PM
Agreed. I wish Oleg implemented an option to let us turn off tracers on an individual or server wide basis.

RepublicofTexas
12-21-2004, 03:11 PM
exactly. il2 is the best flight sim going with all the stats, fms, etc and yet we the pilots can not customize our tracers? i cant believe this was an oversight on 1c's part. the light show is done on purpose but why i ask? this would be a simple fix i.e tracers=0. this aspect of the sim is poorly done imo

Capt.LoneRanger
12-21-2004, 04:22 PM
I miss the B17 II-tracers. They were way better than our StarWars-lasers. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

TangmerePhilipp
12-21-2004, 11:28 PM
Yeah...

The best thing would be for it to be a difficulty setting so that online servers can exercise some control over it when needed. The best way top control this would be throught the armament screen where you'd set how many tracers per bullet. If you put in 0 you'd get none, if you put in 3, you'd get every third, etc.

shadowtooth
12-22-2004, 12:52 AM
good idea, these are the type of value added options that will really make a difference. We are , after all, flying guns through the air. It will be fun to load them for different missions...ap api, tracer, dimtrace (Luftwafe = Glimmspur).
Heavy machine guns are fun! A well flown fighter without tracers will be a fighter without a trace.
My kinda day!

THIS SIM ROCKS.

joeap
12-22-2004, 07:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Capt.LoneRanger:
I miss the B17 II-tracers. They were way better than our StarWars-lasers. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No you're wrong there...the WWII guncam films show camera shake tracers were pretty straight. Being able to turn them off would rock though.