PDA

View Full Version : Crashing crashing crashing...

Zinger98
05-11-2005, 09:21 PM
Is the game just crashing at in-opportune times for all of you? I'm in the middle of a great patrol... then BAM "Silent Hunter III has had a problem and needs to close".

I had 3 coastals, a C2 and was gunning down another coastal and it crashed. Hadn't even launched a torpedo yet...

Grrr....

Simmoxx
05-11-2005, 09:56 PM
at the risk of being attacked ruthlessly by the hordes of SH3 defendershttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

welcome to the wonderful exciting world of the stable and reliable, and, lets not forget superb QA on patches etc,,,,silent hunter 3 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

i have suffered all the known problems with this game to such a point that i care not to mention them anymore,
some,on the otherhand ,
have suffered hardly at all with their copies and how i longed to belong to this club
eventually i accepted my lot in life and now am but a shadow of my former sub self.
dreams of greatness now echo but faintly against the unpleasant smell of reality,in the vain hope i may find salvation at the patch of life.
this time also it seems,is a wasted journey,and i prepare to trudge back down the mountain to await my next climb of hope.
Pray for me http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

AdEridanus
05-11-2005, 10:03 PM
The one thing I haven't had at all is crashing. Not once in 1.0 through 1.3, which is really quite odd. I must have the golden hardware combo out of luck! The jury is still out on 1.3 though. I'll have to give it a few patrols to see if I'm going back to 1.2 or not.

U-49
05-11-2005, 10:05 PM
Posted by Simmoxx:
at the risk of being attacked ruthlessly by the hordes of SH3 defenders Nah, for the most part - we're a peaceful lot, honest!

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif

jamesk9
05-11-2005, 10:39 PM
I too am yet to have a crash, been playing for about 3 weeks. I must say I noticed a big improvement in performance when I upgraded from 512meg to 1024 meg memory. I think this SHIII requires every bit of the recommended 512meg. If you haven't already done so try turning off background programs, maybe check for spyware as well.

BobV_07
05-11-2005, 11:07 PM
I had several crashes but that all stoped after patch 1.2. I have not had a crash since. But I have had several other bugs and problems with SH3 that I dont even care to go into. So, I made up this humorous SH3 pic to have a little lauph at the whole thing. Hope this will bring a smile!
I have not upgraded to patch 1.3 yet because I'm right at the end of a mission. I got 128K with 1 torp and some deck gun ammo left. I should be able to sink at least one choice target before heading home. Then I will give patch 1.3 a try.

http://img66.echo.cx/img66/1131/bugssh34kp.jpg

Mylo42
05-11-2005, 11:19 PM
I know this isn't what you want to hear but...

Not a crash yet. An "unfinished" product, perhaps but "buggy" ?? I don't get that impression. (Don't get me wrong, there are issues but nothing I consider out of the ordinary). I am running 1024 MB as well.

I do run a ton of "computer clean up" software every week like Adaware SE, Spy Sweeper, Spy Bot, Registry Cleaner ...let me see...I know I forgot some. It seems to help keep my games stable as it is bound to pick up stuff everytime. (I think Ad Aware alone has "quarantined" about 700 "things" in the 3 months I've been running it)and is a must for playing stuff online.

It is likely that SHIII is not solely to blame for all your problems.

axlshot
06-11-2005, 04:43 AM
Has anyone else's crashing problems appeared to be developing?
Its just that at first i had no problems at all, i did i think 4 patrols, and of course, i fell in love with the game. However once in the middle of a patrol it crashed.
I didnt think much of it, ya know, ithappens. But then it started crashing every other patrol, then once every patrol. Then yesterday...i couldn't load a game, as soon as it started initializing, the game would crash to desktop. This morning I try to run it...now i cant even get to the main menu, in the process of loading the main menu it crashes. I tried downloading the patches but no joy.
I cant do ****...can i? *humph*

U-268
06-11-2005, 05:42 AM
Hey Axlshot

get yourself a registry cleaner. Theres alot to be said about having a clean cupboard when running this game. Ensure nothing is running in the background too. Have you recently installed some other software or hard ware when the problems started. Something must have changed with the SH3 install and registry settings.

g8rk0k
06-11-2005, 06:24 AM
Turning off sound acceleration and upgrading to 1 GB of ram solved my problems. It won't crash on me so long as the game is not interrupted. Another thing I found that helps, keep your map clean, don't leave circles, and lines and markers all over the place. This would make my game choke for some reason so now I always clean up everything I'm done with.

snowdawg1
06-11-2005, 12:12 PM
When I first got the game I had quite a few crashes and BSOD. I thought like you It must be the game. But I lurked In here and watched what some of the others were reporting and I nailed it down to two things on my computer. The onboard sound card and the wrong chipset drivers for my mother board. It ran other games just fine the way it was so I was sure it couldn't be my machine. but there it was. Make sure you got the right updated drivers for your rig.

Sam1975_z
06-11-2005, 05:49 PM
The game is buggy, lots of people can whitness it. I don't have this kind of troubles, it's just that you're lucky or not. Lucky to have the right graphics card, lucky to have the right soundcard or lucky to have everything right or not. Just have to be lucky. You're unlucky, sorry. Blame on the devs.

lionheart112
06-11-2005, 07:48 PM
I had a crash after a long (very long) patrol with three sinkings. When heading back to base it crashed! I was a bit upset...... It was a mission that was awesome! (Took down a charging destroyer and at 290 meters, I launched my last two fish at her and it did it! Saved me royal... But on the sailing home, it crashed.......

arrghhh.....

bweiss
06-14-2005, 11:00 AM
Has anyone else's crashing problems appeared to be developing?

Same here, but a little bit different. I got one of the first copies of SH3 on the DVD. It ran flawless since it came out in what, March? Two weeks ago, with no changes to the system it began to lockup, primarily when I hit the F9 key or go to the Captains Quarters but now it will lockup anywhere in the game including when it is paused, and I attempt to save it. I thought it was heat, but after over a dozen attempts to reload the OS, and everything else, I'm not so sure. I cannot determine the cause and nothing I change seems to make a difference. Happens in all versions, 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, and 1.3. Happens with, and without mods. Happens in XP SP1, and XP SP2, and it happens with the latest VIA drivers and with the older VIA drivers, and it happens with the Creative Audigy 2 ZS, and it happens with the Realtec AC97. I've tried every possible variation of the Bios settings, updated the Bios itself from 1009, to 1013, for the Asus A8V Deluxe mobo. Nothing much left to try at this point. The problem with the heat theory is, it isn't running hotter than it was for the several months where it ran flawless without a crash.

System:
AMD Athlon 64 4000+
Asus A8V Deluxe
2048 Corsair
Win XP SP2
Audigy 2 ZS

Soulcommander
06-14-2005, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Mylo42:
I know this isn't what you want to hear but...

Not a crash yet. An "unfinished" product, perhaps but "buggy" ?? I don't get that impression. (Don't get me wrong, there are issues but nothing I consider out of the ordinary). I am running 1024 MB as well.

I do run a ton of "computer clean up" software every week like Adaware SE, Spy Sweeper, Spy Bot, Registry Cleaner ...let me see...I know I forgot some. It seems to help keep my games stable as it is bound to pick up stuff everytime. (I think Ad Aware alone has "quarantined" about 700 "things" in the 3 months I've been running it)and is a must for playing stuff online.

It is likely that SHIII is not solely to blame for all your problems.

Others here will beg to differ with you however. I have done everything you do...but never get any spyware found. I browse carefully with active x off. I have 1024 of memory too. I get crashes. Or should I say I got crashes. The game was returned.

Soulcommander
06-14-2005, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by bweiss:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Has anyone else's crashing problems appeared to be developing?

Same here, but a little bit different. I got one of the first copies of SH3 on the DVD. It ran flawless since it came out in what, March? Two weeks ago, with no changes to the system it began to lockup, primarily when I hit the F9 key or go to the Captains Quarters but now it will lockup anywhere in the game including when it is paused, and I attempt to save it. I thought it was heat, but after over a dozen attempts to reload the OS, and everything else, I'm not so sure. I cannot determine the cause and nothing I change seems to make a difference. Happens in all versions, 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, and 1.3. Happens with, and without mods. Happens in XP SP1, and XP SP2, and it happens with the latest VIA drivers and with the older VIA drivers, and it happens with the Creative Audigy 2 ZS, and it happens with the Realtec AC97. I've tried every possible variation of the Bios settings, updated the Bios itself from 1009, to 1013, for the Asus A8V Deluxe mobo. Nothing much left to try at this point. The problem with the heat theory is, it isn't running hotter than it was for the several months where it ran flawless without a crash.

System:
AMD Athlon 64 4000+
Asus A8V Deluxe
2048 Corsair
Win XP SP2
Audigy 2 ZS </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice post, good info! And nice system there too guy. The A8V is a real stable board.