PDA

View Full Version : Will Uplay be used as an excuse to withhold content?

YurdleTheTurtle
11-28-2009, 07:39 PM
In my previous feedback, I felt that Uplay was a pretty good idea. Free rewards for playing the game? That's always a good thing. Pushing for better communities? Well, it may be cheesy, but I guess it can't be all that bad.

Here's the problem though. Is Uplay going to be used as an excuse to withhold content?

We already know the small controversy over the Uplay exclusive Auditoire Crypt. According to the other rewards for the other games, it also appears an RTS map for R.U.S.E and a multiplayer mode for Splinter Cell Conviction will also be withheld unless you join Uplay and gain the necessary points to unlock them.

Someone else on the Internet mentioned that, why should these be withhold in the first place? Why can't they just enjoy the full game, rather than being forced to join a service they don't care about to unlock another map/mode/etc.?

The map for R.U.S.E and MP mode for SCC is an even bigger deal. These two rewards are going to be playable for online, yet it feels silly that not everyone will have access to these.

Some have already voiced concerns about joining Uplay because they don't want to support something that encourages content to be held back. Some are just paranoid of joining in because it will lead to more marketing spam and the like.

Personally, I don't like the idea of bigger content being withhold. Minor things, like themes, cosmetics, etc. - I'm totally fine with that. But to go so far as to withhold major content like maps and modes...I'd like to know why.

Vozlov-3-0
11-29-2009, 09:00 AM
In order to create a sense of 'accomplishment' for the gamer.

To make the games more interactive.

To create a stronger ubisoft community.

Unlocking multiplayer modes and such needs an internet connection anyway.

Singleplayer things are abit touchy though, those without internet unable to access them. But it's a Beta, and there are only 3 games with stuff to access. So it's likely it'l be sorted out, otherwise Ubi will get backlash.

YurdleTheTurtle
11-29-2009, 08:58 PM
I don't know man. It just seems...fishy that we have to shoehorn players into a service they may or may not like just so they can have access to the full game, rather than missing out on something that they feel should be in there.

You made a good point about the internet connection requirement too. I just realized I'm missing points because my console wasn't connected when I completed an action. I'm sure there are other people out there who don't have reliable internet connections and such. Again, another unnecessary boundary.

Uplay isn't a bad idea, but really, will it just be used to withhold content? Like I said, the bigger stuff shouldn't be left out. The cosmetics and minor stuff like the themes are great, but it's still fishy with actual game content like maps/modes being left out unless you join.

NekoKera
11-29-2009, 10:02 PM
Well I would say earning something does have a bit more pride than just getting it handed to you. Then there comes the bragging rights and all that good stuff ya' know. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif I think a person can really look at this as a two-sided coin. You could see it as content withheld because it was originally in the game, or could be seen as content not apart of a game but put in for exlusive features. Most really feel withheld on Limited Edition content/Pre-Order content/Bonuses from Previous Games (buy this game and get a special feature in that game) and I'm sure others do when it comes to DLC and they don't have any internet connection. There really is no restriction in my opinion, after the Bleeding Effect it can be redeemed and the game is no where near over by this point. With Uplay in it's BETA stages, who knows if there may be more content on the way that is only made or altered after the release of the game? Some games even have achievements/trophies that can only be unlocked with an internet connection/subscription so this actually seems to be a bit better than spending US$5-uS$10 on a map pack. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif