PDA

View Full Version : A better way to simulate joystick feel???

XyZspineZyX
09-18-2003, 10:32 PM
This is my request for next Add-on/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

I dont wanna start a war here.I know that many diehards will say that its going against what a simulation is all about.This is just an idea that I have been thinking about for awhile.It has to do with the way we have no feel when using a non-FFB joystick in relation to the tightening of the control with speed and hence causing unnecessary bobbing when trying to line up a shot.

Oleg if you could comment on this idea and if you thought about it before and its not feasible or its stupid,just say so/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Right now the way the joystick control is modeled is that you move the stick and the control surface moves exactly in synch when plane is on ground.But then FB models(Impact of the speed on the control)and here is where we lose the feel.

I dont think any sim has done this before.

**It involves making the stick work so that even at high speeds and little control surface movement you still need to deflect stick the full amount to get the full amount of control surface deflection at all speeds**

As an example take the LA5FN

Your diving and your speed is high and you pull back on stick and the stick keeps moving but the in-game control surface stops at some point depending on air speed.When control surface stops moving we tend to keep pulling back on the joystick and so fine corrections cant be made since the stick is way past the spot where it stopped controlling actual surface in-game.Now plane in front suddenly noses down and you TRY to compensate by easing off the stick but your not near the spot where you get control again and so the twitchy bobbing starts.In a real plane your pulling as far back as stick will go due to the stick being in cement feel so any releasing of pressure and the plane eases off.

Now this way instead would have you lining up for a shot and when plane noses down you ease off the stick and plane responds instantly with no bobbing trying to find the edge of control for the speed.

XyZspineZyX
09-18-2003, 10:32 PM
This is my request for next Add-on/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

I dont wanna start a war here.I know that many diehards will say that its going against what a simulation is all about.This is just an idea that I have been thinking about for awhile.It has to do with the way we have no feel when using a non-FFB joystick in relation to the tightening of the control with speed and hence causing unnecessary bobbing when trying to line up a shot.

Oleg if you could comment on this idea and if you thought about it before and its not feasible or its stupid,just say so/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Right now the way the joystick control is modeled is that you move the stick and the control surface moves exactly in synch when plane is on ground.But then FB models(Impact of the speed on the control)and here is where we lose the feel.

I dont think any sim has done this before.

**It involves making the stick work so that even at high speeds and little control surface movement you still need to deflect stick the full amount to get the full amount of control surface deflection at all speeds**

As an example take the LA5FN

Your diving and your speed is high and you pull back on stick and the stick keeps moving but the in-game control surface stops at some point depending on air speed.When control surface stops moving we tend to keep pulling back on the joystick and so fine corrections cant be made since the stick is way past the spot where it stopped controlling actual surface in-game.Now plane in front suddenly noses down and you TRY to compensate by easing off the stick but your not near the spot where you get control again and so the twitchy bobbing starts.In a real plane your pulling as far back as stick will go due to the stick being in cement feel so any releasing of pressure and the plane eases off.

Now this way instead would have you lining up for a shot and when plane noses down you ease off the stick and plane responds instantly with no bobbing trying to find the edge of control for the speed.