PDA

View Full Version : Things showing up on the map on realistic?

VoidChoice
03-28-2005, 10:08 PM
Hi,
I had my settings at 82% realistic, which included showing no map markers but when i play sometimes i get markers show up. What is doing this? i figure its the radar or the sonar maybe but i dont get a message in the msg window so maybe its a bug?

CaptainRadish
03-28-2005, 10:11 PM
Official response is it's radio reports from headquarters.

Teddy Bar
03-28-2005, 10:54 PM
There are way too many and way way too many show up at night.

Aside from that, remove your radio operator and they still show up.

I think that some of the easy options are still enabled at the higher realism levels.

Pr0metheus 1962
03-28-2005, 11:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Teddy Bar:
There are way too many and way way too many show up at night. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ships and other U-Boats radio in contacts to BdU, and BdU radios them on to the rest of the U-Boat fleet. Ships and U-Boats both sail at night, so I'm not sure why this would be a problem.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Aside from that, remove your radio operator and they still show up. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think the developers considered that players would remove the radio operator. They assumed we'd all want to play realistically.

Charos
03-28-2005, 11:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Beeryus:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Teddy Bar:

Ships and other U-Boats radio in contacts to BdU, and BdU radios them on to the rest of the U-Boat fleet. Ships and U-Boats both sail at night, so I'm not sure why this would be a problem.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Aside from that, remove your radio operator and they still show up. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think the developers considered that players would remove the radio operator. They assumed we'd all want to play realistically. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why would anybody bother to Radio in a contact without stateing its BEARING, SPEED and TYPE?

Why is our radio contacts saying:

" Hey Capt'n there is a ship over about here, heading roughly in this direction, not really shore at what speed" and I didnt bother to tell you weather is a Battleship or a Trawler. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

If someone radio'd that **** back to BDU they would be sent to the russian front for cluttering up air time with useless information.

In the Game The contact was made by someone close enough to observe the Flag (Green, Blue or Red Icon)or make a visual ID on a particual countries warship but cant tell you anything else about it.

Pr0metheus 1962
03-29-2005, 12:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Charos:
Why would anybody bother to Radio in a contact without stateing its BEARING, SPEED and TYPE? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They tell you speed and heading as precisely as can be expected (just click on it and it tells you the direction and speed), and probably more precisely than they could in reality. Whenever I've estimated a course from such a contact, it has never been more than a couple of thousand yards away from the line when I've caught up with it, even after a chase of up to 50km. As for type, well if real-life U-Boat commanders could mistake a small freighter for a cruise liner (as happened on occasion), then I think we should be able to forgive this omission as an example of fog of war. Anyway, not knowing what it is adds to the tension.

Lost_Lamb
03-29-2005, 03:10 AM
What I find slightly amusing is that whoever radioed the contact did not sink the thing. I get the impression that they are just there for gameplay reasons.

I, for all intents and purposes, ignore them unless their course and speed brings them close to my patrol plot and a three hourly hydrophone check. Convoys would be a different story though.

Johnny_JG2
03-29-2005, 03:40 AM
I always remove my sonar and radio operators when I am transitting submerged thru the narrow part in the channel with no torpedos left. I like to just cruise along on 1024x to get back to base at Kiel. I was amazed to see that I was getting updates still when doing this. I actually thought that having a good radio operator would do this for me, but I guess it doesn't matter.

Cdr_Furia
03-29-2005, 04:01 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

Why would anybody bother to Radio in a contact without stateing its BEARING, SPEED and TYPE?

Why is our radio contacts saying:

" Hey Capt'n there is a ship over about here, heading roughly in this direction, not really shore at what speed" and I didnt bother to tell you weather is a Battleship or a Trawler. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

If someone radio'd that **** back to BDU they would be sent to the russian front for cluttering up air time with useless information.

In the Game The contact was made by someone close enough to observe the Flag (Green, Blue or Red Icon)or make a visual ID on a particual countries warship but cant tell you anything else about it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
In those years contacts were basically smoke on the horizont or the tip of some mast.
to get a rough estimate of the contact course and speed you needed many hours of plotting.
A contact report on such grid would help to other units to proceed towards that AREA whil a more refined TRak and speed solution was found although usually knowing that there was a contact on such grid with eastbound course was enough for most captains to initiate a search.

Dominicrigg
03-29-2005, 04:58 AM
They have been put in to make the game more "target rich" I think they are not realistic.

I dont know of occasions when single targets were radiod in, except maybe a battleship ect. If another military ship has seen it why not attack. It cannot be you seeing it since i have had contacts 150km away. Its also bugged because i picked one up while 180 metres under water avoiding depth charges...

They need the option to turn it off i think, it should be "Extra targets Mode" and lower realism 10% lol

Frederf220
03-29-2005, 05:32 AM
Agreed, 90% of my kills are from these divine interventions. I selected 100% for a reason.

The data is never wrong down to the degree.

Teddy Bar
03-29-2005, 05:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Beeryus:
Ships and other U-Boats radio in contacts to BdU, and BdU radios them on to the rest of the U-Boat fleet. Ships and U-Boats both sail at night, so I'm not sure why this would be a problem. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I understand what you are saying but lets look at how the game actually represents this to you.

All the contacts are always within your Grid or the adjacent grid or are coming into your area.

They do not have radio messages reporting enemy ships for grids outside where you are patrolling.

With that amount of friendly ships sailing around me it sure would start getting cozy. And as for other u-boats......

U81
03-29-2005, 06:02 AM
I always thought that these contacts are sightings from air, intel from spies etc.

Pr0metheus 1962
03-29-2005, 08:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lost_Lamb:
What I find slightly amusing is that whoever radioed the contact did not sink the thing. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why is it amusing? The vast majority of contacts that subs made were not sunk. If you see two ships sailing together and you sink one, but the other starts running away at full speed, you're not going to be able to catch it, and you'd send a message to BdU for any sub in its path. Same with a convoy - you can't sink all ships in a convoy, so you send a message regarding its position, heading and speed. What if you're returning from patrol with no torpedoes left? There are lots of ships that I see or hear that I don't go after because I'm too far away - I can't tell the type of ship for most of them because I only hear them on my hydrophones. I would report these to BdU if I was a real U-Boat commander.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I get the impression that they are just there for gameplay reasons. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They're there for both gameplay and realism reasons. How do you think BdU figured out what ships were out there unless it was from U-Boats which couldn't attack for one reason or another?

Pr0metheus 1962
03-29-2005, 08:49 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Johnny_JG2:
I always remove my sonar and radio operators when I am transitting submerged thru the narrow part in the channel with no torpedos left. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hehe, okay, let me get this straight. You're at your most vulnerable, with no torpedoes left and going through the English Channel which is literally crawling with people who are trying to kill you. You're also blind except when you put your periscope up (which places you at higher risk whenever you do it). Yet at this critical juncture you choose to shut down the best senses you have available to you.

Do you survive many channel passages?

Pr0metheus 1962
03-29-2005, 08:56 AM
All the contacts are always within your Grid or the adjacent grid or are coming into your area. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've seen contacts thousands of miles away. Anyway, surely it's not so odd that they're coming into your area. There could be U-Boats close to where you're patrolling.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>They do not have radio messages reporting enemy ships for grids outside where you are patrolling. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But I've seen such contacts. They don't appear as messages, but you see them on the map. The message is not sent for gameplay reasons - because it's too far for you to reach, so the game doesn't bother giving you a message update. In reality though, BdU was constantly sending messages of convoy or ship contacts.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>With that amount of friendly ships sailing around me it sure would start getting cozy. And as for other u-boats...... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Even for very close contacts we're talking thousands of square miles of sea. There had to be over 20 U-Boats in the Atlantic at any one time, and all these boats would be calling in unreachable (for them) contacts all the time. The Atlantic is a big place, but the convoy routes (where you're likely to be going) is also precisely where other U-Boats are going. You're bound to get a bunch of contacts reported that are on your route. This is not strange - it's completely reasonable.

Having said that, I do agree that there are probably too many contacts. I wish we had to work a bit harder to use up our torpedoes. I often find that by the time I reach my patrol area I'm nearly out of torpedoes.

A.K.Davis
03-29-2005, 09:01 AM
These "opportunity contacts" can easily be eliminated by adjusting the default 300km radius for the reports in one of the config files (I'm at work, not sure which one). Set this value at 0, and you should cease to receive them. At the same time, you can increase the range for actual radio messages about convoy spottings and task force spottings.

Ideally, there would also be a variable to adjust the frequency of contacts tied to different areas of the map. I don't believe we have this.

Pr0metheus 1962
03-29-2005, 09:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by A.K.Davis:
These "opportunity contacts" can easily be eliminated by adjusting the default 300km radius for the reports in one of the config files (I'm at work, not sure which one). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

contacts.cfg. Thanks! I'll be doing a little tweaking here.

quillan
03-29-2005, 09:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Hehe, okay, let me get this straight. You're at your most vulnerable, with no torpedoes left and going through the English Channel which is literally crawling with people who are trying to kill you. You're also blind except when you put your periscope up (which places you at higher risk whenever you do it). Yet at this critical juncture you choose to shut down the best senses you have available to you.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hehe. Actually, I did that once when I was slipping through the Straits of Gibraltar. I had made it successfully to the western entrance, and submerged (the overcast, heavy rain and heavy fog helped a lot here), dove to 50 meters, and proceeded on through at 3 knots. Since I had made it there without being detected, I wanted to go on time compression, but my super-efficient sonar operator kept pulling me out of it with another sonar contact. I eventually pulled him out of the office and went on through to the other side at 128x, then put him back in to search for a safe place to surface.

WFLZ
03-29-2005, 09:50 AM

I understand what you are saying but lets look at how the game actually represents this to you.

All the contacts are always within your Grid or the adjacent grid or are coming into your area.

They do not have radio messages reporting enemy ships for grids outside where you are patrolling.

With that amount of friendly ships sailing around me it sure would start getting cozy. And as for other u-boats...... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't want to get into the realism arguement, but the statement about them being only near your grid square or adjacent square, and only coming toward you is wrong. I've gotten plenty of reports of contacts 4 and 5 grids away and moving away. Like I'll be on patrol near the SE coast of England and recieve single ship contacts heading away near Scapa Flow.

MC_Cudden
03-29-2005, 11:39 AM

I don't think the developers considered that players would remove the radio operator. They assumed we'd all want to play realistically. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I play with 100%

Im at 63 m depth since 4 hours because i try to break trough the Street of Gibraltar.
I look at my nav map and what i can see ?
Yes a contact from BDU !
How is that possible ?
I can not received radio reports from headquarters if im at 63+ meters.

Pr0metheus 1962
03-29-2005, 03:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MC_Cudden:
I can not received radio reports from headquarters if im at 63+ meters. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, yeah. That definitely is a bug, or just wrong.

VoidChoice
03-29-2005, 03:55 PM
Is anybody denying that this should be fixed?

I think that we should not be able to switch it off as in real life they would of had it but i think the following things should be fixed...

1. you dont receive contacts when you are submerged because the radio doesnt work.

2. you shouldnt receive contacts whent here is no radio man

3. you should receive all contacts no matter where they are.

4. The radio man should tell us that he has received a msg because he doesnt with me

5. MAYBE, on realistic maybe we should just get a message with position and bearing and we have to plot it ourselves.

If, however it is just to make the game "target rich" we should be able to switch it off.
I love the realism of this game, i dunno how they missed this.

Your thoughts please...

HeibgesU999
03-29-2005, 04:03 PM
Under certain circumstances, Uboats could receive messages at PD. BdU built a super powerful transmitter to make this possible.

The US Navy modelled thier Ubertransmitter,decades later, on this procedure.

Yurin_
03-29-2005, 04:12 PM
These contact reports should be removed at higher realism settings. I prefer finding my own contacts and trying to work out the course myself.

Yurin_
03-29-2005, 04:16 PM
Just read back through all the posts....if editing the contacts.cfg works then problem solved... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Johnny_JG2
03-29-2005, 05:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Johnny_JG2:
I always remove my sonar and radio operators when I am transitting submerged thru the narrow part in the channel with no torpedos left. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hehe, okay, let me get this straight. You're at your most vulnerable, with no torpedoes left and going through the English Channel which is literally crawling with people who are trying to kill you. You're also blind except when you put your periscope up (which places you at higher risk whenever you do it). Yet at this critical juncture you choose to shut down the best senses you have available to you.

Do you survive many channel passages? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uhhh.. yeah.

I just cruise along silently and even if I heard a contact close, I would just keep on cruising by. No big deal. I submerge and go silent running and stay under for 100km. I hate having to keep pressing + when the compression slows down every single contact. If they ever did hear me and were close by, the game would slow my compression down and not let me increase it then. Why in the world would I want to track a bunch of contacts who can't hear me, when I am just wanting to pass by and go home? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Darnitz
03-29-2005, 05:22 PM
I always remove the sonar man when I'm headed home as well. I figure at high time compression the watch will tell me when danger approaches- so far I haven't been caught with my knickers down.

I did however change the .cfg so it slows to 1x compression when anything is near.