PDA

View Full Version : Map Auto Ship Sightings, 100% real, should this be?

Frederf220
03-19-2005, 04:34 PM
http://www.squick.org/~frederf/listed/fullrealmap.gif

I'm on 100% real and these map sightings tend to pop up around me, always friendly and neutral as far as I remember, and only when I have an RO as far as my limited experimentation goes.

Is this supposed to happen?

Frederf220
03-19-2005, 04:34 PM
http://www.squick.org/~frederf/listed/fullrealmap.gif

I'm on 100% real and these map sightings tend to pop up around me, always friendly and neutral as far as I remember, and only when I have an RO as far as my limited experimentation goes.

Is this supposed to happen?

naturalhigh1985
03-19-2005, 05:25 PM
Can iask what those lines are?
I need some more tips on predicting the courses or ships etc...
How could you work out the intercect point? Any simple way? I generally just draw a straight line ( Ifigure hell Zigzag over the line, but not too far off it and generally hold the straight line) and I kinda guess the point where Ill meet him judging my speed and his (as Im not too mathsy I wont be getting into formulas hehe)

TedHealy
03-19-2005, 06:04 PM
Read the dev responses. They say those contacts that pop up are ones radioed to you. That is why you need a radio man. Sometimes you do get enemy contacts.

As far as intersecting contacts, watch the tutorials. One of them has a brief show of all the lines to draw for a good start in tracking and intersecting a target.

With a close contact on the map, I draw a rough course line the contact is taking with the ruler. I then try to guesstimate where I want to intersect him depending on his speed and distance from me. If it is close to where he presently is, I draw circle with radius of about 4 nm somewhere on his course line. I then draw two more ruler lines to on either side of the course line running tangent to the circle.

So you now have sort of a open ended box where you think you might find him. If you are trying to intersect further away, then I draw a larger circle to increase the search area. It seems like if the contact is reported as slow, it will be around 6 knots, medium around 10. You can sort of guesstimate how far the contact can get at that speed and find an intersection point somewhere ahead of him to lie in wait or begin your search in the box you drew there.

As he approaches and you pick him up on the hydrophone, I mark the end of the hydrophone bearing lines every minute or two to get a more exact idea of his course. Then draw another ruler line along all your x marks to show his course. The rest is up to you. You have his course plotted pretty well, you just need to get into position to take a shot.

Frederf220
03-19-2005, 06:41 PM
Yeah yeah, I'll figure out how to intercept later.

The point is, ok this is supposed to happen on 100% real? Good.

It wouldn't do any good to intercept any of these contacts anyway because none of them are enemy.

Xses08
03-19-2005, 07:13 PM
Have a look at your map of the oceans and patrol one of the major trade routes. You will usually get a few radio contact updates nearby, and if your really lucky, your radio officer will inform you of reports about a large convoy.

They mark that on your map as a large square, and you can also see the radio message in the message log for convoy reports.