PDA

View Full Version : How do you run your offline campaigns?

pensfan17
02-11-2009, 06:15 PM
I've recently started a German dgen campaign, starting as the lowest rank, hoping to work my way up during the campaign. My question is, since I'm starting out as a wingman, once a battle starts, do most of you stick with your wingman and cover him, or do you forgo this and go for your own kill. Seems like few kills will result covering your wingman although it would seem more realistic. Just curious how most play this.

norton1974
02-11-2009, 06:33 PM
I try to stay with the wingman the whole flight it helps me with formation flying. I dont use icons so it can be a challenge to stay with him.

Treetop64
02-11-2009, 07:19 PM
Stick with your lead like paint to a wall, or you'll hear a mouthful from him.

Ideally, if flying a fighter campaign it's good to start at the third from lowest rank - that way you still get to lead most flights and you still have room for promotions. However, if you're flying Sturmovik missions, start right from the bottom. Formation flights are much more straightforward, and you really feel a sense of progression within the squad once you build rank - if you can survive long enough, that is...

unreasonable
02-11-2009, 07:44 PM
I always try to be a good wingman, although I would say I lose contact with the leader in about 50% of missions, when visibility is poor and they start doing the bat turns I cannot follow - this is with icons off. (Playing DCG campaigns).

Actually my kill rate is often good as wingman since you will often get the chance to nail an enemy who has lined up on your leader - once they start shooting they do not seem to "see" you so quickly one you have them in your sights.

Plus being on your own is extremely dangerous!

mortoma
02-11-2009, 07:46 PM
If it were real life of course I'd stay with my element leader. But in game I kind of go on my own and try to protect any of my flight mates. Going after any enemies tailing any of my flight mates, whichever one needs the help the most. The AI are kind of dumb and my flight leader may not need the help but another AI in my flight may be in big trouble. In this way I get plenty of kills, by going after enemy tailing members of my flight and this in turn also helps to ensure their survival. It pays of if you have AI buddies that survive for a while and get kills because they will get up to veteran of ace level fairly quickly. If they are constantly getting killed and replaced by recruits, you will have most of them flying as novice and average level. Which just continues to snowball into a bad situation because they will not be a big help to you.

I have been flying mostly Dgen campaigns offline since Forgotten Battles came out in '03. In the older IL2 series the campaigns were static and were prescripted when you installed the game from the start, instead of being generated in a semi-dynamic fashion.

pensfan17
02-12-2009, 03:09 AM
Thanks for the info guys. Just started playing IL2 again and haven't played campaigns much. Good to see how others play theirs. I'm going to try to stick to my wingman and see how that goes.

Al

DKoor
02-12-2009, 05:24 AM
Go for the kill... another words, it often boils down who has better starting position and who will kill faster. When you 'jump' them it often result with 2-3 'opener' kills; another words they are decimated right from the start and it is in most cases just chasing the prey afterwards http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif . That's why if you are experienced & good shot when you fly offline should never really stick with your leader (but on the other side also try not to lurk away much from your element, group is always stronger than 1 aircraft) if your side is in control of combat, your flight loses more or less few clean&fast kills and and gains really nothing in return http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif .

mortoma said good when he says that more experienced Ai is a good help... yes they certainly fight good! In my campaign TA-152 fighter I flew 30 missions or so... (very short campaign but interesting IMO). Mainly encountered VVS, very little Americans & RAF... however believe it or not, "we" lost only 2 Ai pilots in "our" group! Sure some bailed, some were wounded... but the thing is only 2 were dead by the end of the war. Things started good from the start and the TA planes are very fast which really improved survivability a lot. But the main thing was... we had upper hand in most fights we were involved, that is why results were stellar. After few missions pilots got more experience and things just got better and better. But soon came final end, so... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif .

IRL everything is different.