PDA

View Full Version : A few beginner's questions about playing campaigns in Pilot Career.

rijnton1944
01-05-2005, 10:48 AM
After practicing some time with Quick Missions I wanted to start campaigns with Pilot Career. I selected a pilot, joined an airforce, choose a rank, career etc. and clicked Start. After that it's not clear to me how to proceed. Do I have to choose a squadron myself or should I leave it the way it is ? I mean: do I have to start with the default choice and am I transferred to another squadron automatically in the course of the campaigns ?
And: In the printed manual I read that I can select, amongst others, the planes I want to fly in every operation. But where do I do that ? As far as I can see I get a certain plane by default

rijnton1944
01-05-2005, 10:48 AM
After practicing some time with Quick Missions I wanted to start campaigns with Pilot Career. I selected a pilot, joined an airforce, choose a rank, career etc. and clicked Start. After that it's not clear to me how to proceed. Do I have to choose a squadron myself or should I leave it the way it is ? I mean: do I have to start with the default choice and am I transferred to another squadron automatically in the course of the campaigns ?
And: In the printed manual I read that I can select, amongst others, the planes I want to fly in every operation. But where do I do that ? As far as I can see I get a certain plane by default

Tully__
01-05-2005, 11:04 AM
There is no requirement to choose a particular squadron, however if you have a particular interest in one of the listed squadrons it may help you to feel more immersed in the game if you choose it.

In most cases the campaign will have a number of entries representing different stages of the war. When you click the "Generate" button, you will be presented after a few moments with the briefing for the first mission.

The first mission will involve the stage of the war and aircraft that is highlighted when you click the "Generate" button. If you wish to skip the early war, just click on a lower entry later in the war and the campaign will start there.

As you progress from one stage of the war to the next, you will be flying the aircraft shown corresponding to that stage of the war in the screen we're discussing.

Prior to clicking the Generate button, you can change the aircraft corresponding to each stage by clicking or double clicking the aircraft name to bring up a drop down list. Only aircraft applicable to the stage of the war and theatre will be available in the list.

After choosing aircraft for each stage of the war, make sure you highlight the time period you wish to commence the campaign at before clicking the "Generate" button.

rijnton1944
01-05-2005, 02:13 PM
Thanks Tully. Didn't know that I could double-click on the aircraft. Now it's clear.
If you don't mind I have some other questions for you, being the joystickman.
In another thread I asked about making the Saitek X45 (joystick part)smoother. You would look at it, especially about opening the Saitek. I suppose you forgot it.
Although Akronnick replied later it's still not clear to me. He said to unscrew the hex screws on top. But are that the 4 screws on each corner or the 8 screws on the ring (which are sealed as far as I can see). I already tried the 4 screws carefully, but saw a lot of wiring inside and was afraid to damage something.
Btw, is it technically possible that the stiffness of the joystick causes stutters in the game. Although I now have around 50fps average(with Fraps) in the Blackdeath track, I still have very short stutters in the game occasionally (although not very often)and sometimes I have the feeling that it has something to do with the joystick. Or is that impossible ?

Tully__
01-05-2005, 09:27 PM
Method's I've seen recommended (and some of them tried) for making the X-45 joystick smoother include:<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> A bit of candle wax on the bottom of the cone. If you have beeswax candles they'll work better than paraffin wax (beeswax is softer) but most people find that common birthday candles do a fine job.
<LI> Compressing part of the spring using nylon cable ties (aka zip ties) to reduce spring load during the initial movement from center.
<LI> Some have used a little bit (a very little bit) of silicon lube on the bottom of the cone. Using too much will attract dust.
<LI> Shiny plasticised card can be cut into a washer and inserted between the cone and the base. Cut a slot in one side to insert it, there's no need to disassemble anything for this method. When my X-45 was new I used this for a bit until it loosened up.[/list]

I currently use none of the above as mine has nicely smoothed out with use.

I've not heard of nor would I recommend disassembling the joystick to smooth it out. I looked up the other thread you referred to and it was the throttle I was going to investigate. Sorry I missed replying, I used to keep track of my posts and replies using the search engine but it's not been working for a few weeks.

To take the base apart on the throttle you need to take out 4 screws in deep holes on the bottom and the four hex head screws on the top. The base can then be eased off quite easily, being carefuly not to tug on the cord. All the vitals are mounted to the top half of the base.

rijnton1944
01-06-2005, 11:03 AM
Thanks again Tully,
But how do I reach the bottom of the cone of the joystick then, without disassembling the unit ?
I see that I can stretch the rubber that surrounds the upper part of the cone but doing that I cannot reach the bottom part.