PDA

View Full Version : Gameplay - Special Missions

driver_madness
01-22-2008, 10:36 PM
I've play a few GTA Games here and there and I notice they do have a few fairly good gameplay elements. Well not all of their games, most of their games also sucked in this department but some did well.

GTA: Vice City Stories was my favorite. Here is a small overview of what made the gameplay last longer.

-Ability to go to a concert, sit back relax and simply watch. No gameplay involved.

-Ability to control a robot in someones home, light cigarettes, clean up rooms and destroy someones bonds.

Well those are some examples although I still think there pretty boring, we need to think of a version of these types of gameplay features which Reflections could incorporate into the upcoming driver title.

So lets think of some ideas and try to make sure it's mostly driving related.

Here is an example idea!
If your sick of driving and want to sit back and relax you could purchase a ticket to enter the derby destruction bowl!

You could walk around and get your seat and look from there but I would much prefer that you got to go anywhere via. the controls with a camera (so you could get closer to the action).

kalle90
01-23-2008, 09:54 AM
There should be bits of that everywhere.

-Realistic people discussing, going to stores and parks and homes. Criminals too. Like Oblivion

-Basketballers, skaters and such around city playing in non linear fashion.

-Radio system, hours of program, and not just music.

-All big events like matches, concerts. Baseball field in D2 would have been great with ongoing match, now people sheered to empty field. Derby would be great. Car shows with unique cars.

InsaneDriver06
01-24-2008, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by driver_madness:
I've play a few GTA Games here and there and I notice they do have a few fairly good gameplay elements. Well not all of their games, most of their games also sucked in this department but some did well.

GTA: Vice City Stories was my favorite. Here is a small overview of what made the gameplay last longer.

-Ability to go to a concert, sit back relax and simply watch. No gameplay involved.

-Ability to control a robot in someones home, light cigarettes, clean up rooms and destroy someones bonds.

Well those are some examples although I still think there pretty boring, we need to think of a version of these types of gameplay features which Reflections could incorporate into the upcoming driver title.

So lets think of some ideas and try to make sure it's mostly driving related.

Here is an example idea!
If your sick of driving and want to sit back and relax you could purchase a ticket to enter the derby destruction bowl!

You could walk around and get your seat and look from there but I would much prefer that you got to go anywhere via. the controls with a camera (so you could get closer to the action).

Driver 2 felt like it could have gone this way with it's "Non-shooting on foot", but didn't.

I'll admit I always wanted to sit on a bus, train or other public transport that allowed you to look out the window, walk the aisles at will and take you to your map indicated destination, rather than just warping you there all the time.

Beyond that, I'd like a ticket as an audience member to demolition derby's, formula one races, stock car, sportbike MotoGP and so on, all of which you could participate in as well if you like.

It wouldn't take a whole lot of programming time to open the stands for on foot (Driv3r's stadium), only this time there'd be some life to the event, which is just the AI running a constant race without a finish line. It could keep going in circles, or if it's not too much trouble, they could program starts and finishes, where you pick how many laps the race will run.

Imagine a 100 lap car race, you could enter the stands, hop onto the race track to cause wrecks (then have the cops after you), walk around the halls of the stadium, sit in someone else's seat, etc.

Great idea if Reflections has a little extra time to throw it in.

I think it needs to stay away from non-driving events however, like watching a music concert, for the sake of keeping focused on Driving.

FutureVenturer
02-02-2008, 10:15 PM
I agree, InsaneDriver06. We must see events that are mostly about the driving experience, but I suppose a few events that are for the on-foot experience wouldn't hurt. The driving experience needs to feel as realistic and unique enough to get not only those diehard Driver fans to buy this next Driver game, but even to bring in other hardcore gamers as well as casual gamers. If GT can attract a lot of casual gamers that love driving with its realistic driving experience, then why can't Driver do the same?

InsaneDriver06
02-09-2008, 10:29 AM
One feature racing games like Formula One, Nascaar should consider including is the abilitiy to be a spectator, audience member, with the freedom to walk around, looking for the best seat to view the race, looking at the concession stands and displays, walking into the pits where all the pitstops take place, etc.

A game should offer things not possible in real life; walking into the pits for example, running onto the race track midrace, causing a huge wreck. Stuff like that.

FutureVenturer
02-09-2008, 08:31 PM
No, InsaneDriver06. I've had a similar idea before for a mod that was about wrestling being added to GTA:VC (I'm not interested in it anymore), such that would allow you to do more than just wrestle, which would be to sit in the stands as a fan, but it seemed pretty dumb to my friend, and he got his point across that I believed the same, afterwards. A game should follow its genre and not go off into a different direction. Therefore, having on-foot in a racing game would be a very silly thing to do, especially if you could play as a fan. It wouldn't make any sense at all. You have to acknowledge the fact that just some realism doesn't work for a video game, while another piece of it can do the right job.

InsaneDriver06
02-09-2008, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by FutureVenturer:
No, InsaneDriver06. I've had a similar idea before for a mod that was about wrestling being added to GTA:VC (I'm not interested in it anymore), such that would allow you to do more than just wrestle, which would be to sit in the stands as a fan, but it seemed pretty dumb to my friend, and he got his point across that I believed the same, afterwards. A game should follow its genre and not go off into a different direction. Therefore, having on-foot in a racing game would be a very silly thing to do, especially if you could play as a fan. It wouldn't make any sense at all. You have to acknowledge the fact that just some realism doesn't work for a video game, while another piece of it can do the right job.

Well if you say so... Not that it couldn't be a game in and of itself. The question is, does every game element have to offer a challenge?

Take cruising aimlessly around a giant map just to look at everything with no goal. I do that a lot in games, and it's one of the main reasons I play an open world game. Pretend I'm there more or less. It serves as an escape into another world, where you can do things not possible here. Like flying jets, racing off ramps, watching races in the stands whenever I want, etc. That counts for something.

But just to give it a challenge/purpose, as a spectator, you can bet on any race for big cash, fix the race by sabatoging parts, tires behind the pit crews eyes, poke other spectators in the eyes to draw up an angry crowd, etc. Fun can be had beyond having everything laid out in advance; "go here, do this" gets old now and then.