PDA

View Full Version : The splinter cell series is ruined.

SamFisher_271
07-22-2007, 05:58 PM
TFS_Jackie edit: Making this in the off topic forum was one strike against you. Bypassing the word filter was two. You are on a very quick road to ban city if this keeps up.

CovertKi11
07-22-2007, 06:09 PM
Yeah man, this is the right forum for where to put it, not the offtopic.

MKCC14
07-22-2007, 06:26 PM
Yep, its ruined, celebration anyone? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

stavros_27
07-22-2007, 06:29 PM
"I want Stealth action not grand theft auto"
"Did he loose everything?"

I guess you looked at a picture of Sam and the environment and made your close-minded opinion right away.

qwerty_36
07-22-2007, 07:30 PM
I remember people said the same thing about Double agent for Day time missions. "Day time missions won't ruin the game they will make it more challengeing". In the end Double agent sucked.

Conviction looks like it is going to be alot of action and not as much stealth that we really want. Conviction will NOT be much of a stealth game.

RedemptionX
07-22-2007, 07:40 PM
And how exactly is this not going to be not that much of a'stealth game'..?

stavros_27
07-22-2007, 08:07 PM
"Day time missions won't ruin the game they will
make it more challengeing"

I thought that the daytime missions were great fun, added to the game and were a good challenge.

SPROGGY
07-22-2007, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by stavros_27:
"Day time missions won't ruin the game they will
make it more challengeing"

I thought that the daytime missions were great fun, added to the game and were a good challenge.

I agree, Kinshasa was excellent!

Knot3D
07-22-2007, 08:21 PM
Xbox Kinshasha > Xbox360 Kinshasha, imo.

SPROGGY
07-22-2007, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Knot3D:

Really? I havent played it yet. How do they differ?

MKCC14
07-22-2007, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by deepego3:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Knot3D:

Really? I havent played it yet. How do they differ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Greatly, totally different missions. On the xbox its mostly indoors, with lots of lights on, which go out when the constant "earthquakes" kicks in. Plus, you dont overhear any meeting like in the 360 version. There is a lot more.

stavros_27
07-22-2007, 08:46 PM
After playing through the 360 version a 2nd and 3rd time, most of my favourite levels from the entire series seem to be from the 360 version. Kinshasha and the Cruise Ship are awesome levels. I love when Enrica fills the fountain/pool with water so you can swim from one end of the large room to the other, with 3-4 guards around the area patrolling.

SPROGGY
07-22-2007, 08:55 PM
There were quite a few great levels in that game. Kinshasa is probably my favorite. I love the fact that it takes place outdoors and you have to rely on cover instead of shadows. The final JBA mission was good basic L&S gameplay, but well designed. Shanghai and Cozumel were both good as well.

MKCC14
07-22-2007, 08:58 PM
Shanghai wasnt as good as it could have been, the NYC Subway Train mission on the xbox was a much better exclusive. Though the train part was not as nearly as good as in SCPT.

SPROGGY
07-22-2007, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by MKCC14:
Shanghai wasnt as good as it could have been, the NYC Subway Train mission on the xbox was a much better exclusive. Though the train part was not as nearly as good as in SCPT.

I like the part that took place outdoors in Shanghai. Shuffling along the side of the building was fun and the visuals were fantastic.

CoastalGirl
07-23-2007, 08:39 AM
Shanghai is actually my favorite DA mission (across both versions)... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

insanity76
07-23-2007, 10:03 AM
It's funny letting the helicopter crash in the opening cutscene. It shows the helicopter spinning and heading for the ground. You hear Emile griping at Fisher just before the chopper crashes.

osborne10
07-23-2007, 12:53 PM
Kinshasa was one of my favorites.the sound/visuals were amazing.shanghai was cool when you assassinated Aswatt.the cruise ship was cool when Enrica created the diversions.also liked the last jba mission.but what i thought was dumb was when you grab Enrica you couldn't just let here go or knock here out.and get the pistol instead of s2ck.

and what is your opinions of which version is better xbox & xbox 360.what is all the differences,plannig on renting the xbox version.

insanity76
07-23-2007, 02:47 PM
The Xbox version is very similar to Chaos Theory in gameplay mechanics & features. No undercover walking around in the JBA, as the entire mission takes place in the restricted area. Many of the locations are the same, but the map layouts are all vastly different from the 360 version. The story is similar, but different and 'better told.' No daytime missions, and no Shanghai mission (there's a train level).

I like the 360 version a lot better though, but I'm in the minority. However, I think the Xbox version's prison level totally owns the 360's.

MKCC14
07-23-2007, 02:53 PM
The missions on the xbox were at least 5X longer than on the 360...maybe even more. Every mission was basically done better on the xbox.

AgentXVII
07-26-2007, 05:45 PM
The only thing that really disappointed me about the Kinshasa mission on the XBox was the way it suggested that it would be possible to fake Hiram's death to convince the JBA...

I remember as soon as they meet up, Sam says something along the lines of "any of these guys around your size", but I spent hours looking and never found a body that would let me fake his death properly. I still suspect there is a way to do it, so if anyone managed it, please let me know!

More on topic, I think that SC:C will continue the freedom that has grown from game to game since CT. You can still play CT and DA stealthily, and for the majority of the time, have to, but with end of "three alarms and it's mission over" suddenly a few alerts wouldn't mean the end of the mission. I think that SC:C will finish this process, making stealth optional in many places, but I'm certain that using stealth will always work better than an all out action approach.

So, Splinter Cell is ruined? Not a chance.

MKCC14
07-26-2007, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by AgentXVII:
The only thing that really disappointed me about the Kinshasa mission on the XBox was the way it suggested that it would be possible to fake Hiram's death to convince the JBA...

I remember as soon as they meet up, Sam says something along the lines of "any of these guys around your size", but I spent hours looking and never found a body that would let me fake his death properly. I still suspect there is a way to do it, so if anyone managed it, please let me know!

More on topic, I think that SC:C will continue the freedom that has grown from game to game since CT. You can still play CT and DA stealthily, and for the majority of the time, have to, but with end of "three alarms and it's mission over" suddenly a few alerts wouldn't mean the end of the mission. I think that SC:C will finish this process, making stealth optional in many places, but I'm certain that using stealth will always work better than an all out action approach.

So, Splinter Cell is ruined? Not a chance.
You have to use one of the bodies in the parking lot, pick 1 up and put it in the back of the car and then blow it up. Thats how you fake his death.

AgentXVII
07-26-2007, 07:22 PM
That works?

*Runs off to try it*

soron
11-19-2007, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by qwerty_36:
I remember people said the same thing about Double agent for Day time missions. "Day time missions won't ruin the game they will make it more challengeing". In the end Double agent sucked.

Conviction looks like it is going to be alot of action and not as much stealth that we really want. Conviction will NOT be much of a stealth game. I agree

Chinese_Bookey
11-19-2007, 04:42 AM
Originally posted by MKCC14:
Yep, its ruined, celebration anyone? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif
Where's the cake? It ain't a party if there ain't a cake.

chess9132000
11-19-2007, 06:53 AM
Yep...
The stealth is what made the series what it is.
now social stealth, It might be good, but why play a splinter cell social stealth when we can play assassin's creed social stealth. that would be funner at the least with the building climbing.

jockdiesel
11-19-2007, 06:54 AM
Conviction will be a great game, but give the devs hell about the next game not this one, wheels have turned too far on this one to do anything about it

mattborges
11-19-2007, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by chess9132000:
Yep...
now social stealth, It might be good, but why play a splinter cell social stealth when we can play assassin's creed social stealth. that would be funner at the least with the building climbing.

I forgot the part that ALTAIR takes his GPS Jammer to infiltrate the castle withou being spotted and shoots his target's head with a Customized Shotgun!!!

C'mon I think they're doing good inovating the way we'll play Splinter Cell's games!!!

Wanna play in the shadows, go buy THIEF!!!

Keep up the good work GUYS!!!!

AzureAssassin
11-19-2007, 12:32 PM
I vote ruined.

soron
11-20-2007, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by mattborges:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chess9132000:
C'mon I think they're doing good inovating the way we'll play Splinter Cell's games!!!

Wanna play in the shadows, go buy THIEF!!!

Keep up the good work GUYS!!!!

now social stealth, It might be good, but why play a splinter cell social stealth when we can play assassin's creed social stealth. that would be funner at the least with the building climbing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Thief is not even near the same level CT was, not even close. I guess you have not been paying attention to any of the PRO-L/S post on this forum. Splinter Cell is L/S game play or have you not been paying attention to that either?

SC 1-3 and a quarter of 4... had it right. That is how L/S is done. Any thing ells is just not the same. I for one wanted to see what they would do with it next. I did not think they would have completely screwed the whole series by throwing the whole concept away.

If you want social stealth go play AC!
IF they keep "innovating" like this we will see Splinter Cell copy every other new game that comes out. Besides this active/social stealth is only stealth until you actually have to do something and then it turns into running away or just a martial arts show down with the guards... or throwing things at them... wow what a crappy concept.

If this was used in conjunction with L/S I bet no one would be upset. I know I would be all for it being ADDED as a new concept. However this game play cannot stand on its own. I think the Devs are realizing this now and will try and fix this or keep it in mind for the next installation in the series.

A-Sh4dow-Splint
11-20-2007, 10:18 PM
I don't think people have realized honestly, how much back lash this game has gotten. If you take a look at the forums, you'll quickly notice that about half of the topics are about how the series is ruined (the title of this topic is one, lol)or how they need to tweak this or that. I think that alone this should have triggered something development wise. I'm very surprised nothing officially has been said about the game (other than the demo vid).

I've watched the demo (on youtube) of the game, and it just looks like Assassin's Creed in more Modern times. One of the only cool parts in the demo was when Sam threw down the bookshelf to create a barricade. But it's also just one level and from that stand point alone, I don't think anyone should take a side yet.

I wouldn't bash over how the series is ruined, yet. It's way too early to tell. Especially since Ubisoft just delayed SC:C and Haze to 2008-2009 (check out IGN). That could be a good sign.

soron
11-20-2007, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by A-Sh4dow-Splint:
I don't think people have realized honestly, how much back lash this game has gotten. If you take a look at the forums, you'll quickly notice that about half of the topics are about how the series is ruined (the title of this topic is one, lol)or how they need to tweak this or that. I think that alone this should have triggered something development wise. I'm very surprised nothing officially has been said about the game (other than the demo vid).

I've watched the demo (on youtube) of the game, and it just looks like Assassin's Creed in more Modern times. One of the only cool parts in the demo was when Sam threw down the bookshelf to create a barricade. But it's also just one level and from that stand point alone, I don't think anyone should take a side yet.

I wouldn't bash over how the series is ruined, yet. It's way too early to tell. Especially since Ubisoft just delayed SC:C and Haze to 2008-2009 (check out IGN). That could be a good sign.

Well maybe it will change and be better due to the "back lash," and in that case then the constructive criticism will have not gone in vain. I would agree with you if it was just bashing the game but I for 1 have not only criticized what I have seen so far but have also said what could fix it.

It seems a a lot of ppl agree and I hope that UBI and the Devs agree too. I really don't want to see conviction fail, I really want it to be a great game. I also want to see it look like a Splinter Cell game and not a modern AC.

I am not saying they should get rid of the crowd stealth just that it should be used with other types of stealth to include L/S being that is the premise for SC and should be the focus of the game design.