PDA

View Full Version : What up with the p51 gunsight?

XyZspineZyX
07-10-2003, 11:46 PM
I herd(read) rumors that the p51 gunsight would have something diffenrent that a normal gunsight.
please what is it

Thanks

XyZspineZyX
07-10-2003, 11:46 PM
I herd(read) rumors that the p51 gunsight would have something diffenrent that a normal gunsight.
please what is it

Thanks

XyZspineZyX
07-10-2003, 11:53 PM
Later P-51 had a K-14, a Gyro stabilized gunsight, which "calculated" the deflection and projected the needed defelction angle on the gunsight display.

http://www.geocities.com/kimurakai/SIG/262_01011.jpg

"Kimura, tu es une tĂÂȘte carĂ©e comme un sale boche!"

XyZspineZyX
07-11-2003, 12:33 AM
OOOOO that would be interesting......

"Anytime you have an opportunity to make things better and you don't, then you are wasting your time on this earth." -Roberto Clemente

XyZspineZyX
07-11-2003, 12:38 AM
it won't be modelled in FB.

XyZspineZyX
07-11-2003, 12:49 AM
Why not?
That suck

How do you know?

XyZspineZyX
07-11-2003, 12:53 AM
oleg told it some time ago. cant find the thread sorry

actually he said that it won't be modelled when the P51 will first come out flyable. if it will be included it will be in a (far) later patch,

XyZspineZyX
07-11-2003, 01:05 AM
Haven't we got to that (far) later patch by now?

Da Buzz
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<center>
This Won The War
<center>
http://www.elknet.pl/acestory/foto1/anderson3.jpg

XyZspineZyX
07-11-2003, 01:23 AM
I would imagine that it takes quite a bit of work to code something like that, into the sim. I don't believe any other a/c has that type of gun site. It would have to calculate the speed, distance, etc. of every shot you might make. I don't know for sure, I'm just speculating.

I think we're lucky to just get the plane put in this sim at all.....one thing at a time /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif .

Seriously, I doubt it will ever happen...in this sim. Maybe in the future. I believe WWII Fighters had it, and CFSIII might too, I don't recall. I'm betting Oleg's future sim will model it.

"Murphy's Law"

XyZspineZyX
07-11-2003, 01:51 AM
That tiny gunsight "screen" ? I don't think it'll help a lot.

XyZspineZyX
07-11-2003, 01:57 AM
Is this the gunsight?

http://www.il2sturmovik.com/forgotten_battles/devupdate/12may/P-51_cockp9.jpg

XyZspineZyX
07-11-2003, 01:57 AM
RJMurphy wrote:
- I would imagine that it takes quite a bit of work to
- code something like that, into the sim. I don't
- believe any other a/c has that type of gun site. It
- would have to calculate the speed, distance, etc. of
- every shot you might make. I don't know for sure,
- I'm just speculating.
-
-

iirc, the K-14 was developed from a British gunsight. That means any late war British a/c could have a lead computing gunsight.

http://www.stenbergaa.com/stenberg/crandall-stormclouds2.jpg

XyZspineZyX
07-11-2003, 06:10 AM
CFS-3's gunsights don't move on the screen, so if the K-whatever sight is 'modelled' in that game (aesthetically) it wouldn't be functional. WWII Fighters's P-51 has a reflector sight that moves counter to the forces placed on the pilot, but I don't think it is a true lead computing sight, just simply bullseyes where the guns are aimed as your virtual head is moved around -- provided your seat position is centered on the gunsight when the plane is static. CFS has an alternate P-51 gunsight you can bring up that is the dot with encircling diamonds design ... but again I don't think it works as a lead computing sight.

I believe for what is being attempted, the IL-2 version would be ground-breaking for a sim.

RJMurphy wrote:
- I would imagine that it takes quite a bit of work to
- code something like that, into the sim. I don't
- believe any other a/c has that type of gun site. It
- would have to calculate the speed, distance, etc. of
- every shot you might make. I don't know for sure,
- I'm just speculating.
-
- I think we're lucky to just get the plane put in
- this sim at all.....one thing at a time /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif .
-
- Seriously, I doubt it will ever happen...in this
- sim. Maybe in the future. I believe WWII Fighters
- had it, and CFSIII might too, I don't recall. I'm
- betting Oleg's future sim will model it.
-
- "Murphy's Law"