PDA

View Full Version : My first online kill with 4.00, 109F2 vs yak1b

Jumoschwanz
06-09-2005, 10:20 AM
Well I shot down a yak1b last night with the 109f2.

The kill had nothing to do with the performance of the two planes at all.

I was approaching the area of Reds airbase, I looked behind me and there were two aircraft swooping down to intercept me. I turned into them in time to take a head-on shot at the leader. Good thing I missed as it turned out to be another 109 being pursued by a yak1b.

They went up and the yak got the other 109 smoking as I got on the yaks tail. These two planes had a good amount of E on me and were a bit ahead of me, but I fired some shots in between the yak and the other 109 and scared the yak off his tail.

Now the yak came after me. I thought I was toast, as usually the yaks are much better at the low altitude we were at. But I did what I was supposed to do, I did not try and beat the yak at his game. As soon as I would see the Yak initiate a turn, I would turn with him at the same time in the same direction instead of trying to follow him. This would put us first on a parallel path, then as he out-turned me he would have to cross my path and give me a shot, which I took.
I got him into a scissors this way and was able to line up three 90 degree deflection shots on him as he flew across my path back and forth. I saw bits of Yak wood or something fly off him a few times, but I did not see any cannon hits that made a characteristic flash as they hit or exploded. The hits I did land must have did something to his plane though, as on one of his next manuevers he flew into the ground and I got the "enemy aircraft credit" thing flash up on the screen.

So that was it. I did not have any trouble with the new flight model. Sure it was different, but not so much different that my tactics did not work as usual.

I do think the trajectory of the german cannons is flatter, and this will affect straight or lead shots, but not the close in and deflection shots I like to use.

I don't think the german mg151cannons are enough stronger in 4.0m to even mention. IN some of the betas they were twice as powerful as in 3.04, but not now, maybe they got 5% more power or something like that. And the cannon in the 109F2 is still a peashooter, as are the machine guns. As always, once you are out of cannon shells with the early 109 you might as well be throwing food at the other craft. Not that the machine guns will not do damage, but in a combat situation you do not have the time to empty the whole belt on the foe, and he is not going to stand still for you either.

I don't think the new patches will affect the status quo in online servers. The ones who do well will as usual be the smart ones, and the dummies and newbs will get wasted.
S!

Jumoschwanz

NorrisMcWhirter
06-09-2005, 03:36 PM
I don't think the german mg151cannons are enough stronger in 4.0m to even mention. IN some of the betas they were twice as powerful as in 3.04, but not now, maybe they got 5% more power or something like that

I entirely agree with that opinion on the 151/20 strength. They were perhaps a tad too powerful in beta7 (relative to the hispano) but now they're only marginally better than 3.04. God knows what 4.01 will bring after the whines about them as they are.

Ta,
Norris

CUJO_1970
06-09-2005, 03:57 PM
The 109F-2 doesn't have a 20mm cannon, it's a 15mm.

MrOblongo
06-09-2005, 03:57 PM
Didnt the F2 had a 151/15 ?

NorrisMcWhirter
06-09-2005, 04:43 PM
I interpreted what he said as making a _distinction_ between the 151/20 _and_ the 15mm in the F2. Perhaps , Jumo, you can clarify?

Ta,
Norris

Jumoschwanz
06-09-2005, 06:42 PM
Yea, I never said the F2 had a 20mm, I know it has a 15mm version of the mg151 cannon. I was just mentioning the fact that the 20mm mg151 cannon in 4.0 is nothing much different than before. I was testing it again today making zooming deflection passes on some spit9s with a FW190A9 and it even seemed like I had less damage to them than with 3.04!

S!

Jumoschwanz

Papa_K
06-09-2005, 07:37 PM
For me, it was in a G2 against an La-5. Not a head-on pass, but fairly high aspect. Popped off a few rounds that got hits. In the older version, it would have been slight damage. As we passed, he blew up post-merge, behind me...cursing. Weapons effects have definitely changed.

Papa_K

Grue_
06-10-2005, 03:21 AM
Tried some QMB briefly last night with a F4 and a D9 against some drone spits (no ammo).

Lots of explosions and structural failures after quick bursts - 151/20 seem to be very similar to the Hispano now.

JG54_Arnie
06-10-2005, 03:29 AM
151/20 are defenitely quite a bit stronger than in 3.04, aim is a bit harder now as there is more sway if you manouvre. Which is good. But they guns themselves are lethal when they hit a part of the plane that holds something vulnerable. Aiming for wingroots, fueltanks and engines more precisely will give you your wanted results. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

For those that flew the beta's, in 05 they were way too strong, 06 was a bit better than they are now and I dont think they changed from 07 to 4.00
I think its a question of DM's now. The Lagg is still has its wooden armour. But most other planes go down fine. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

sapre
06-10-2005, 03:31 AM
I tested in 190 against a B-17G, and 2 sec burst was enough to rip the wing off.

AerialTarget
06-10-2005, 03:39 AM
That's good news for me in the Me-109 G-2, and very bad news for me in my P-38 Lightning.

OldMan____
06-10-2005, 05:47 AM
Srry but my impression is that 151/20 dmage is quite improved. A dora has about same firepower as a Spitfire, maybe only slightly less. As long as you are lucky enough to hit the MG shells. Remember these shels were made to bring bombers down..test it against taregts where you can hit for 1 full seconds.

Waldo.Pepper
06-10-2005, 04:07 PM
I am very happy with the punch of hte 20mm.

I don't want a thing changed.