PDA

View Full Version : will BOB will be an Hyperthreading game!??

Frenchminem
06-15-2005, 02:40 AM
Hey!!
was reading about HT processor, as dual core semms to be the future of processors...
and I read that the upcoming Unreal Engine will be optimized for HT, I was wondering by the way If the nex BoB engine of Oleg will be HT or not...
as this new graphic engine is designed to be the base of all the future games of 1c... could be nice to get It on the basic engine... or It gonna be hard to make it after...

EnGaurde
06-15-2005, 04:45 AM
without a shred of concrete evidence, looking at what those in the know are likely to... well.. know, my moneys on it.

i think that even PF can support dual processors (will that translate to dual cores...?) with an alteration to an existing config.ini setting, something about processAffinity = 1.

google it.

mebbe simhq or the like has something, Oleg often spreads the love around.

Troll2k
06-15-2005, 06:23 AM
Pf supports hyper threading now so I would assume bob will also.I would also expect 64 bit and ppu support.

Kyril1959
06-15-2005, 06:46 AM
Info on hyperthreading in PF.
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/49310655/m/5070.../930006237#930006237 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/49310655/m/507003037/r/930006237#930006237)

Frenchminem
06-16-2005, 03:34 AM
hmm... maybe...
But I read on another topic, ijn another forum that games able to use hyperthreading were really hard to program... to really have an hyperthreading optimisation, and have two data exploited in parallele, and always got a processor unit busy, and not fighting against the other processor unit to catch the datas...
so... I didn't though It was yet in PF...
the 64bit support would be nice too... in order to ontain a good base to program future games, for the upcoming years!!

WWSensei
06-16-2005, 04:20 AM
Don't confuse coding for hyperthreading with coding for multi-processing. At an abstract level they are similar but down in the details they are different. Support for hyperthreading just requires a compiler from Intel (which they will pretty much give you for free to support HT) and the other requires good, multi-threaded programming discipline.

Multi-threaded programming isn't easy, but it isn't any harder than regular programming as long as you pay attention to details. Lock your elements that need to be locked but don't go crazy with the mutex contentions or you will kill performance--not help it.

An event I/O engine thread model versus the old fashioned single thread per task can increase performance as well.

All-in-all it isn't beyond the capabilities of the average programmer to do this stuff. Maybe the hobbyist at home programmer might struggle but it's done all the time in the commercial world.