PDA

View Full Version : Help with Navigation

scottsheehan
08-24-2007, 02:55 PM
So I decided because of the many great review that Maddox Games has gotten from mags I read to try a sim.
One complaint I don't see how anything can be called a sim when your view is so small. There is noway anyone can tell me that when flying a real plane all they can see without turning their head is from 11 to 1. I can see at all times from 9:30 to 2:30. Without moving my head or eyes.
But anyway so I have found out how to land, take-off, and fight. What I can't fig out for the life of me is the game Navigation.
I get a mission it says I am to go protect a city. So I look at the maps and can't find the city I am to go to anywere. Then I start mission and follow the check points thinking they will lead me to were I need to go negative I fly the whole circle and land nothing. So then I ask ground control for whatecver to target and I get back something like "Vector 220 to Target". What does that mean? It doesn't seam to be degrees to go for the direction I hit 220 and fly forever. I also notice little numbers on the grid of my map but none of them say 220. Some help here please.

Skunk_438RCAF
08-24-2007, 03:03 PM
The Delete, End and Page Down keys control the field of view. Fiddle with them. Also this is a computer simulation, played on a computer screen. There is no way you can tell me that having a view from 9 to 3 on a computer screen is possible without some form of distortion. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Ok...navigation. A vector is always given in degrees, and a circle has a whole 360 of them.
The numbers and letters that you see on the maps are grid locations, handy when you want to give your location to a squad mate and vice-versa.

The AI ground control will usually give you the vector to the mission objective, not to any enemies that may be flying. Bug or limitation? I dont know I havent found out yet.

When in map view, you can zoom in and out with the mouse buttons. Most of the time when zoomed in you will see the names of the cities.

Hope some of this helps.

slipBall
08-24-2007, 03:11 PM
I like to study the map while the engine is warming up. Just pay attention to landmarks along the way to the target, and the general heading that you should follow, then look at the map often in route, city's, river's, forest areas, small lakes, islands, airports.....it is all there, you only need practise to identify each landmark along the way....good luck!

-HH-Quazi
08-24-2007, 03:29 PM
Right mouse click on the map to zoom in & out. As you zoom in you will notice the names of small towns & cities start showing up.

A good way to learn the basics of this flight sim with an opportunity to participate in more advanced courses is to sign up for the next Basic Flight School session at www.joint-ops.com (http://www.joint-ops.com) BFS touches on proper ATC communications, navigation, flight teamwork tactics, formation flying, wingman tactics, flight manevors, ground pounding, etc. Allot of fun more than anything.

Welcome to the community!

willyvic
08-24-2007, 04:38 PM
All good advice. I would add that you read the nuggets guide thread http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/9121094645 and pay a visit to M4T here http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Knowledge_Base&cat=8

Welcome.

WV

Chris0382
08-24-2007, 06:30 PM
What I do find lacking is missios rarely tell you what is exactly needed to complete the mission for you to be able to Apply it.

Also, you complete a mission without touching waypoints and are about to land and you hit auto pilot; guess what, the planes going back around to touch the points you missed.

It can be confusing. I suggest you have the complete mission and go on to the next one enabled what ever that is.

Lurch1962
08-24-2007, 06:43 PM
Scott,
When using a standard monitor to play games, there will always be a certain visual disconnect because you're looking through a rather constrictive "window." And displaying hyper-wide fields of view won't really ameliorate that either. Sure, you can see in one glance a larger view of the virtual world, but the price is HUGE distortion, as must happen when displaying a large solid angle on a flat screen.

The widest field of view offered in this game is 90 degrees horizontally. That's 10:30 to 1:30 when looking forward to 12:00. If you successively hit the front, right, back and left view direction keys, in the horizontal plane you will just fully cover the full range range of azimuth, but without any overlap between view directions. That's why I like using the view panning option instead.

Now, your monitor will almost certainly be located far enough from your eyes so as to subtend an apparent view angle of only some 25-30 degrees in width. Therefore a more-or-less true scale view would be obtained when you zoom fully in to the 30 degree wide FOV setting. In spite of what your eyes might say, this is NOT a higher magnification view than you would see in real life.

The obvious conclusion from this... When you use the wider or widest FOVs, you're viewing a de-magnified scene. In other words, at a FOV of 90 degrees, the on-screen view is about 1/3 real life size.

Here's what I did to get around this:

Over a year ago I mounted a cheap flexible 7" x 10" page magnifier (fresnel lens) about 8" in front of my flat screen 19" monitor. Worked great, and in use the apparent field of view of the screen was 90-100 degrees (like IMAX), closely matching the in-game 90 degree FOV setting, for a true-to-life image scale! But there was a fair amount of chromatic aberration and loss of contrast due to the plastic lens construction.

A few months ago I got hold of a pair of 3.5 diopter reading glasses in a Dollar store. The view is MUCH sharper than that delivered with the fresnel, and the colour aberration is virtually non-existent, too. The apparent view angle of the screen as seen from a comfortable distance (about a foot) is around 80 degrees, which is also close to the game's widest FOV. Altogether a better choice.

You should look into something like this. With more of your peripheral vision being used, you'll really feel like you're in the cockpit!

--Lurch--

Bearcat99
08-24-2007, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Chris0382:
What I do find lacking is missios rarely tell you what is exactly needed to complete the mission for you to be able to Apply it.

I have maps printed out for most missions I fly. AS for the brief.. that is the pervue of the mission builder. A brief can make a good mission even better.