PDA

View Full Version : Bombers

9th_Bloodfist
12-08-2004, 11:32 AM
Just curious if anyone knows wheter or not were going to get some real bombers like the B-17,24 and 29 whenever the addon is released. They did a great job with the b-25, but I would love to these babys flyable!

CaptJodan
12-08-2004, 11:50 AM
My guess would be no. While I do know that we'll be getting the Betty for sure, the others you mentioned seem less likely. I know a bit back there was someone posting picture of his cockpit of a B-29 which looked pretty far along, but I doubt it'll make it into the first (only?) addon.

The B-17 has been tossed about quite a bit in the past, but again, I doubt we'll see it. Certainly not with the first batch. Haven't heard a thing about the B-24.

Would love to see them, though. Especially the 17. Good for both ETO and PTO.

Atomic_Marten
12-08-2004, 11:53 AM
I wanna Kate. Badly. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

And also I have sympathies for B24. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Also, I think they are used in Euro theatre too. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

goshikisen
12-08-2004, 11:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 9th_Bloodfist:
Just curious if anyone knows wheter or not were going to get some real bombers like the B-17,24 and 29 whenever the addon is released. They did a great job with the b-25, but I would love to these babys flyable! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think for sheer entertainment value (and sales for that matter) the heavy bombers aren't a priority. If you look at the reality of a WW2 bombing mission there isn't much to get excited about... especially if you're a B-29 crew member. These guys would spend 8 or 9 hours in the air for a few minutes of action. They'd have to fly through AA and then maybe, just maybe, they'd run into some IJA or IJN aircraft.

Purists and hardcore enthusiasts will take exception with what I say but for the vast majority of people the B-29 will be a one or 2 flight novelty. Oleg has already said that a bomber takes about the same amount of programming and design effort as 10 fighters. With that in mind... I'll pass on the Superfortress.

Regards, Goshikisen.

CaptJodan
12-08-2004, 11:57 AM
Kate and Avengers are at the top of my list, be sure. I also would love to see a flyable Helldiver, but that's like asking for the moon or something for some reason.

9th_Bloodfist
12-08-2004, 12:12 PM
They could at least try to give us the B-17. It's been in the series as an AI forever. And with all the online servers running mission, I'm quite sure having this plane in it would just add to an extra level of fun, not only for the bomber lovers, but for the attacking enemy.

CaptJodan
12-08-2004, 12:22 PM
The biggest problem with planes like the B-17, B-24, B-29, or B-26 (would love to see this one in game as well) are the multiple crew postions. The time it takes to do a flyable B-17 would probably be about the same time to make 5 or 6, perhaps more, cockpits for fighters. AC like the Kate, Avenger, Helldiver, etc would be easier, but still have two or three positions to model.

That's probably the main reason. The second reason being that the majority of the community enjoys fighter based combat, not mud moving.