PDA

View Full Version : which planet have more energy the ones closer to the sun or the ones far away

raaaid
08-30-2008, 03:38 PM
this is something really confusing for me

so vote i dont know but id ike to know

though i guess equal because close planets have small potential enegy but high kinetic one and the viceversa

raaaid
08-30-2008, 03:38 PM
this is something really confusing for me

so vote i dont know but id ike to know

though i guess equal because close planets have small potential enegy but high kinetic one and the viceversa

DanceIII
08-30-2008, 03:59 PM
No theory, that's refreshing http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I can say with certainty, that I don't know, based on distance from the sun alone http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Abstained from the vote.

Wish you'd bring some closure to your previous topics, before throwing out another though.

TinyTim
08-30-2008, 04:06 PM
Raaaid, since you know where all the antimatter that balances the universe is, I'd expect you to spit an answer to this truly basic physics question out in the middle of a night after heavy drinking.

Answer:

Wpot=MGR
Wrot=JOmega^2/2 where J=MR^2

Considering G=Acentripetal=ROmega^2

it obviously follows:

<span class="ev_code_yellow">Wpot : Wrot = 2 : 1</span>

which means that planets farther out have higher specific energy.

Blindman-
08-30-2008, 04:08 PM
This question needs to be a bit clearer, stating more energy of what type? The planet with the greatest potential energy is the one with the greatest product of its mass and distance to your reference point. The planet with the greatest kinetic energy is the one with the greatest product of its mass and velocity squared as compared to your reference point. The planet with the greatest energy stored in the form of matter (E=mc^2) would be the largest planet (Jupiter). The planet with the greatest amount of collected solar energy would be the one with the greatest product of area and reciprocal distance from the sun. I believe that the planet with the highest retained solar energy would be the one with the greatest product of its surface temperature (directly related to thermal energy, but the type and density of the atmosphere are major factors as well; so getting complicated here) and atmospheric temperature. While the planet with the greatest amount of internal geologic energy would be even more difficult to define and calculate.

I am sure that one or more of this thread's respondents will come up with additional forms of energy that might belong in the original question.

Curiosity is a good thing.

BTW, the more you know, the more you realize that you don't know.

DanceIII
08-30-2008, 04:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blindman-:
This question needs to be a bit clearer, stating more energy of what type? The planet with the greatest potential energy is the one with the greatest product of its mass and distance to your reference point. The planet with the greatest kinetic energy is the one with the greatest product of its mass and velocity squared as compared to your reference point. The planet with the greatest energy stored in the form of matter (E=mc^2) would be the largest planet (Jupiter). The planet with the greatest amount of collected solar energy would be the one with the greatest product of area and reciprocal distance from the sun. I believe that the planet with the highest retained solar energy would be the one with the greatest product of its surface temperature (directly related to thermal energy, but the type and density of the atmosphere are major factors as well; so getting complicated here) and atmospheric temperature. While the planet with the greatest amount of internal geologic energy would be even more difficult to define and calculate.

I am sure that one or more of this thread's respondents will come up with additional forms of energy that might belong in the original question.

Curiosity is a good thing.

BTW, the more you know, the more you realize that you don't know. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+1

raaaid
08-30-2008, 04:33 PM
thanks all clear now http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Cajun76
08-30-2008, 04:35 PM
Whichever planet that houses the little green men who possess FTL drive?