PDA

View Full Version : I'm terrible @ assassinate

NORTHBOERN1
03-11-2011, 10:11 AM
And yes this deserves a thread http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

I've watched the video's (which is not how my games look at all), strategized options, used multiple sets, everything...except playing a hundred games (which is what i need to do), and still get my @#@ handed to me in almost every game.

Could somebody please explain how one player is geting 10,000 points against really good wanted players in my matches, leaving everyone in the dust?

Does it come down to your ability to lock your target fast?

What strategy are they/you using to score points?

I left assassinate and just wandered around in wanted bliss after 10 or so games of assassinate last night, haha.

xCr0wnedNorris
03-11-2011, 10:15 AM
I don't have the game mode yet but from what I've seen, most of the high scoring games are from people who are running around in "KILLKILLKILLKILLKILLKILLKILLKILLKILL" mode. 20+ low profile kills and all that.

KHRYS_24
03-11-2011, 10:18 AM
Does this really need a thread? haha j/k man.

Im still getting used to it. I played it the day the DLC came out and I did pretty good and then I didn't play for just 1 day and then I went back and all of a sudden there's all types of different strategies for this mode now and i can't even place in the top 3 anymore and all of a sudden, a whole bunch of my Assassinate games have a whole bunch of FC's in it. I still have yet to get used to using FC for myself.

Dragonfang067
03-11-2011, 10:18 AM
I generally use two abilities that allow me to defend against people who find me out, especially after a kill and rely on getting kills without needing to use abilities to get them. If someone isn't very far away and is killing someone else, you can run up to them and lock late and kill them when they finish.

Also, waiting around corners for unsuspecting people works very well in this mode.

Unholy2012
03-11-2011, 10:28 AM
I'm great with Assassinate, but was horrible on Wanted. Most games of wanted I played though was just full of roofers, and I quit multiplayer because of it until the latest DLC. Most games of wanted I would try playing stealthy and finally locate and get close enough to my target to pull off that incognito or silent poison only to be suddenly put in a chase and then have my pursuer jump on me and get 100 points costing me 600+. In Assassinate though I can regularly get 700+ kills. A lot of mine are truly stealthy, but I admit that a few of them (mostly when I see someone else getting a kill) I just sprint towards the target then lock on and get an icognito.

I love Assassinate though. Just a couple hours ago I got my highest score of all time yet, just over 11000 points, where as in wanted I struggled to get over 2000 since I would get put in a chase and killed most of the time and only manage to pull off more than a few kills. Sure, that was enough to win quite a few of my matches, but even though I was winning it just wasn't fun. I can come in last place in Assassinate for all I care, so long as I had fun doing it.

W.E.S.P
03-11-2011, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by NORTHBOERN1:
And yes this deserves a thread http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

I've watched the video's (which is not how my games look at all), strategized options, used multiple sets, everything...except playing a hundred games (which is what i need to do), and still get my @#@ handed to me in almost every game.

Could somebody please explain how one player is geting 10,000 points against really good wanted players in my matches, leaving everyone in the dust?

I left assassinate and just wandered around in wanted bliss after 10 or so games of assassinate last night, haha.

Just be aggressive and don't wait around.

Being good at locking defiantly helps. Also try tricking you pursuer into locking so you can lure him then kill him.

Assassinsyk
03-11-2011, 10:33 AM
The corner-thing is huge. Gotten more feel for the radar, so when you see (on radar) someone coming towards you, get ready by holding lock button with your aim at where they'll come out. Lock and kill before they had a chance to orientate. Also, I rock quite hard when finding spots where I can spy and find my target without being in LOS, and walk in with blend. Always walk in blend.

Mind games are great in this mode, lock on to anyone that might be your pursuer and watch if the react or even better, drop smoke. Alot of times I stand in a blend far from them and have them RUN towards me because if the lock.

Also, played quie a few games today and not one was more than 8k, since people had started figuring it out, so dont let this be your standard. Better luck this time!

Assassinsyk
03-11-2011, 10:37 AM
Sorry, no edit button and forgot to add:

When looking around corners you can hang out pretty safely, unlike in wanted, since your radar tells you if someone is coming from behind you etc. You never know who's watching, but you always know the least distance.

NerdyBashir
03-11-2011, 10:41 AM

I know exactly what you mean, im always 6th or something, im not good at that gametype and HAVE NO IDEA how people get such high points.

I'll continue dominating wanted.

DigDug510
03-11-2011, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by W.E.S.P:

Just be aggressive and don't wait around.

I've had a lot less luck in assassinate with being aggressive. Maybe I'm just a moron, but being agressive usually leads to me getting killed 8,000 times in ten minutes (not being able to stun without locking first is killing me!)

So, how do you go about being aggressive in this mode without getting your throat slit around every corner?

Note: There is absolutely no sarcasm in this post. I really want to know how to do it, because my turtle assassinate mode isn't working out so well.

Dragonfang067
03-11-2011, 10:54 AM
I also find that building up streaks is the best way to go. I have so far stuck with 3x silent kill streak and if you just aim to pick up 3 quick silent kills, you will be able to keep your score climbing quite quickly.

Unholy2012
03-11-2011, 11:01 AM
I wouldn't say being agressive is really the best idea. I usually come in the top 3 (this morning had 5 games in a row at first place) in Assassinate and what I do is just take into consideration the mistakes I made when I first started playing it.

I tryed to lock on too late and they would get the lock first, so now I know to lock on when I know we both see each other but are just far enough away I don't think he will because he doesn't want me running and start fast walking towards him. I don't know if it's lag or not, but I almost always get an incognito poison doing that.

I always tryed to make sure I got to whoever I was hunting first, which usually means I get 1 kill then I get killed immediately after. What you should do is make sure that there is just you and your target in the area, then take the kill. That's not always the case, so instead you should focus on remaining hidden then finding out how many people are nearby and where and who they are. If you can take them out one by one (I like to poison the first then stab the second) then go for it, otherwise just either wait for one to kill the other then kill the killer, or if you are positioned correctly lock onto one while hidden and hopefully manage to get your target to kill the second guy, then take your kill.

I used to try to get to my targets before they got to me, which often ended up with me just managing to be in the wrong place at the wrong time because of my haste, even though I was just walking or even in a blend group.
Instead, if you know someone is near or just around a corner but not yet in your line of sight, wait on a bench or in a blend group, or ideally a hay barrel if there is a blend group right next to it. When they start to approach your hiding spot lock on when they're close enough that you can get the kill the second your assassination button shows up over their head. Even better if you can get them to kill an NPC next to you first so you can poison them while they're stuck in the kill animation just for second.

After every kill, check around your compass to make sure your safe then move on or hide again. If you know you have a pursuer, you're likely dead all ready, but your best chance is to just run. Get on a roof and, if you can, lock onto your pursuer to initiate a chase. If you make the kill difficult, half the time they just move on to someone else and half the time they'll chase you down any way. Making them chase you for it though just earns them a small amount of points and will likely get them a few pursuers as well. If you're really lucky your pursuer will get killed and you can quickly turn around and kill your pursuers killer.

W.E.S.P
03-11-2011, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Dragonfang067:
I also find that building up streaks is the best way to go. I have so far stuck with 3x silent kill streak and if you just aim to pick up 3 quick silent kills, you will be able to keep your score climbing quite quickly.

And this^^ If you can stick the 5 kill streak on. The most kills I got in a row in Assassinate is 16.

Play mind games with the lock on

Before killing anyone make sure that the compass isnt bulging slightly in any direction. If it is someone else is there. Keep your eye on your compass and watch the way it moldes when people are coming closer together.

Play aggressive but remain stealth.

Unholy2012
03-11-2011, 11:11 AM
Oh yeah, and don't really try for stuns. I can't tell you the number of times when I first started playing it I tryed to smoke and stun and just ended up getting killed. It's too laggy to rely on, so instead focus on getting them to give up on you because you're making it too hard or leading them to other players and getting them killed first so you can prey upon their killers. That can be troublesome though because you have just as much of a chance of the other players going for you as you do of them going for your pursuer. Obviously, the best thing to do is to just be stealthy enough to avoid getting locked onto all together.

One last thing, you see somebody glowing white because of their templar vision, lock onto them then and there. They all ready know who you are and want to get close enough to lock onto then kill you quickly. Just lock on and kill them as fast as you can, it may not be the stealthiest approach but it will get you a few points and let you continue your kill streak.

Sprint-Please
03-11-2011, 11:15 AM
Perhaps I would do well in this mode if the locking mechanics actually worked. :P

W.E.S.P
03-11-2011, 11:20 AM
He wants big points m8. Im not saying you should play aggressively, that just works for me, but It sounds to me that if he follows your tatics he will be lucky to get in the top 3.

Im refering to the post above this. Sorry but it had to be said.

DigDug510
03-11-2011, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Sprint-Please:
Perhaps I would do well in this mode if the locking mechanics actually worked. :P

Seriously!!

One thing that I've found that helps is to not lock onto your target until you/they get pretty close. The folks I've played against will run as soon as they get targeted, so if you do it when they are far away, you're screwed.

Serrachio
03-11-2011, 11:22 AM
Sometimes I find it better to lock on and rush from a distance, that way they won't have time to react if they were thinking of drawing you in to stun.

W.E.S.P
03-11-2011, 11:26 AM
Do none of you walk round with your lock on held down?

Serrachio
03-11-2011, 11:30 AM

Nope, I have a method of spotting which is a Templar and which is an NPC, so I'd rather not have lock held on so it gives me away.

It allows me to lock quickly when I aim it, which is something that I'm good at.

Unholy2012
03-11-2011, 11:31 AM
He wants big points m8. Im not saying you should play aggressively, that just works for me, but It sounds to me that if he follows your tatics he will be lucky to get in the top 3.

I do get big points like this. Most games I get between 7000-9000 and my highest yet is just over 11000.

But like you said, it depends on how you play it. This works for me because after 30 seconds of waiting or so most people go crazy with boredom and expose themselves earning me kills. It may not work for everyone, but since I got the hang of it I haven't played a game without coming ATLEAST in the top 3, though most of the time I come in first.

W.E.S.P
03-11-2011, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Unholy2012:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by W.E.S.P:

I do get big points like this. Most games I get between 7000-9000 and my highest yet is just over 11000.

But like you said, it depends on how you play it. This works for me because after 30 seconds of waiting or so most people go crazy with boredom and expose themselves earning me kills. It may not work for everyone, but since I got the hang of it I haven't played a game without coming ATLEAST in the top 3, though most of the time I come in first. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your statement telling him to run at someone using TV made me think otherwise. Sorry. The TV users would or should already have he's finger on the lock button to get the priority kill. I wouldnt stick TV on without at least knowing which direction of my target and with that id have my finger on lock ready.

I guess it all depends on what plays your up against.

Unholy2012
03-11-2011, 11:37 AM
Most people don't use templar vision in this mode though, it's a dead give away. I've yet to be killed by someone with it since I always lock onto them first without hesitating and it seems like they usually want to get closer before they do because they think I didn't notice them glowing.

Serrachio
03-11-2011, 11:41 AM
Most people don't use templar vision in this mode though, it's a dead give away. I've yet to be killed by someone with it since I always lock onto them first without hesitating and it seems like they usually want to get closer before they do because they think I didn't notice them glowing.

If I played you and saw you glow like that, I'd Charge you like a bull and get a free stun off you. Then I'd proceed to kick you in your head for your obviousness.

W.E.S.P
03-11-2011, 11:41 AM

So then why use it in an example? Thats why I thought you didnt gain high points because your examples sounded like it came from someone new to the game.

El Zo1212o
03-11-2011, 11:43 AM
Considering that firecrackers are so prevalent in this mode- from what I've read, anyway- I'll ask this here: do firecrackers also panic NPCs on benches? Also, do the differences in this mode make hiding in a haystack a more feasible strategy?

Serrachio
03-11-2011, 11:45 AM
Yes, I do believe they panic Benched NPCs.

I think they stand up off the bench and then cower.

Unholy2012
03-11-2011, 11:45 AM
I think you misunderstood, I don't use templar vision in assassination.

W.E.S.P
03-11-2011, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Serrachio:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by W.E.S.P:

Nope, I have a method of spotting which is a Templar and which is an NPC, so I'd rather not have lock held on so it gives me away.

It allows me to lock quickly when I aim it, which is something that I'm good at. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How does it give you away if your not locked?

W.E.S.P
03-11-2011, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by ElZo1212o:
Also, do the differences in this mode make hiding in a haystack a more feasible strategy?

Like you wouldnt belive mate. Especially on MSM courtyard.

m4tt3198
03-11-2011, 11:57 AM
I just want to stake my claim to also being terrible at assassinate. It probably didn't help that GAOStarr, WESP, and a couple others who were obviously already good at it were in the first lobby I joined. Two hours of getting my butt kicked and I'm no closer to figuring it out than when I started. I guess that's not completely true, but I have no idea how you guys get your locks so quickly. On numerous occasions I knew exactly who you were, but always got my lock a second too late and paid the price. The timing of locking is crucial.

GAOStarr is quite good at using TV in this mode. I caught him using it once, but he used it a couple of other times to great effect. I say this because I don't think he could've picked me out so confidently otherwise.

I'm still trying to figure out which abilities and what style of play works best for me in this mode. It is a painfully frustrating process at this point. Also, the compass becomes useless for me when multiple people are around.

GFurie
03-11-2011, 11:59 AM
I'm with the OP. I think I'm approaching it wrong. I want to quietly hide out on a bench and survey the area, and murder the hell out of people when I can get away with it. It seems like a dogpile whenever one person outs themselves to go after another, but at the same time not playing aggressively enough isn't working for me.

More youtube and rage sessions for me, I suppose.

Serrachio
03-11-2011, 12:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Serrachio:

It allows me to lock quickly when I aim it, which is something that I'm good at. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How does it give you away if your not locked? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a secret http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

But if you try to lock someone, your body twists and its something a target can pick up on.

W.E.S.P
03-11-2011, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Serrachio:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Serrachio:

How does it give you away if your not locked? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a secret http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

But if you try to lock someone, your body twists and its something a target can pick up on. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not bothered about being picked out until its time for my x5. I hope they do lock me its what I want them to do http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

hoserama99
03-11-2011, 02:31 PM

I feel your pain. I saw you join our games last night with redcheetah, and man, that was a blood bath. Had you joined when he put up that 13k game with 26 kills? You're talking a kill every 23 seconds. I got tired of dying a few games before you and had to leave to save my ego. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

The key is certainly to be able to navigate the maps quickly and be great with locking, and it doesn't hurt if you've mastered the art of stunning and then counter-killing. I have mastered exactly zero of those things.

My strategy is to hold on for dear life and try to stay in moving blend groups, generally around high traffic areas so I can silently clean up if a massacre happens in front of me. I can manage anywhere from 150 points (yeah, it happened) to 5500 in Assassinate. I suspect I average around 2000 points in Assassinate, which is dragging me down pretty hard.

I can pick out other players reliably, but what typically happens is that I lock them, go in for the kill and discover that - oops! - they've locked me first somehow and I need to stun ASAP. My reaction time sucks, which means I get stunned, and then a focus poison or head kick. It's embarrassing.

On the plus side, it seemed like about half of redcheetah's kills against me last night were for 150, so I'd like to think I died with honor, albeit frequently. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Kogia
03-11-2011, 06:27 PM
Strangely enough I always played Wanted entirely defensive and stealthily and although I was never a mega high scorer I could reliably come top 2. With Assassinate I am appalling (same reasons hoserama said), but I have found I don't do anywhere near as bad if I get out and up on to the roofs, something I was always loathe to do in Wanted.

Down on the ground I'm beat to the lock almost every time. I'm just finding going up and totally changing my gamestyle I can at least pick out my targets without them seeing me.

obliviondoll
03-12-2011, 07:30 AM
I can consistently (as in about 80% of games) get a podium finish with 5000 - 7000 points in Assassinate.

I just use my knowledge of the maps from playing other modes, and move to the busy areas (near/in the big square roofable place in Florence, in front of the Church or in the square in San Donato, etc.) and join a large blend group.

Players ALWAYS pass though this area, some expose themselves by being idiots, others on purpose, and still others when killing/failing to kill the ones who were already being obvious.

When someone does this near enough to you, lock on, and dash from your blend group for the kill before they work out who you are.

If I get 12 kills in Assassinate, I also have at least 8 Hidden bonuses. You get marked after locking on, that gets you a Discreet bonus, great, one more step towards Variety.

If you have Silent Hunt, you've got a chance to get a rush kill and still keep your Incognito, which means all 3 stealth bonuses should be easy to land.

Also, poacher and Saviour are harder to miss than to get in Assassinate, so don't worry so much about aiming for them, just let them happen.

Beyond that, I advise having AT LEAST one good defensive ability (Charge/Smoke/Mute, and at least one offensive ability (TV/Firecrackers/Charge).

if you're going aggressive, TV/Strong Smoke can be a good option - identify target's blend group, drop Smoke on them and pop TV at the same time, you can pick them out, lock them, and kill before they can react. If they already locked you, then you stun them, and get the grounded kill.

Also, if you've already got one grounded kill, and there aren't any other players too close by, try for grounded focus - but remember a lot of players use resistance, so be prepared to go nuts on the kill button if they start to get up early.

CrazyShrapnel
03-12-2011, 08:00 AM
Sometimes when I'm patient it works. Other times all the action happens on the other side of the map. Sometimes when I'm aggressive it works. Other times I end up the first victim in a massacre.

Despite my best efforts this mode ends up being a luckfest for me. Sometimes I murder everyone to the point of claiming one corner of the map for myself (I want to put up signs like "trespassers will be stabbed" when that happens http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif) and other times I'm painting the map red with my own character's blood.

The freedom in this mode seems to make your experience very dependent on your opponent's playstyles.

Just Krispy
03-12-2011, 08:25 AM
I really stink at assassinate too. Playing it has ruined my wanted game too because I am playing to slow and watching my radar too closely. The defense game is gone..I have to get into the habit of watching for pursuers better again..

obliviondoll
03-12-2011, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by PMSKrispy:
I really stink at assassinate too. Playing it has ruined my wanted game too because I am playing to slow and watching my radar too closely. The defense game is gone..I have to get into the habit of watching for pursuers better again..
I've found that I'm now in the habit of locking onto players when I go into Wanted after playing Assassinate, and if it doesn't work properly I get a little nervous because I forget that I can still kill them...

A few matches running and that starts clearing up though.

Just Krispy
03-12-2011, 09:08 AM
Yes its definately good practice to lock..in a game last night on wanted I knew who my target was in a group and was fumbling with the lock and finally said "s@#w this" and just went in for the kill sans lock...it was kind of nice! On the other hand when I stun in Wanted, I really want to turn around and kill the guy..so are things I like about assassinate..I am ctippled by the fact I am not fast enough at locking...

hoserama99
03-12-2011, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by obliviondoll:
I just use my knowledge of the maps from playing other modes, and move to the busy areas (near/in the big square roofable place in Florence, in front of the Church or in the square in San Donato, etc.) and join a large blend group.

Players ALWAYS pass though this area, some expose themselves by being idiots, others on purpose, and still others when killing/failing to kill the ones who were already being obvious.

My best games in Assassinate are when I can do this, so I can vouch for it.

My worst games are on maps that don't lend themselves well to this, like the new Alhambra map. It also seems that sometimes I just can't make it to the "high traffic" areas without dying each time, so those are the games where I put up the monster 750 point efforts and wonder if everyone else is talking about me after the match. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

RoboEssk
03-12-2011, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by hoserama99:
I can pick out other players reliably, but what typically happens is that I lock them, go in for the kill and discover that - oops! - they've locked me first somehow and I need to stun ASAP. My reaction time sucks, which means I get stunned, and then a focus poison or head kick. It's embarrassing.

This sums up my experiences nicely. I've played a bunch of Assassinate now and I've had 2 wins, both with ~5500 points, which I'm aware is not a high score for this mode. However no matter how frustrated I am by my slow reactions tripping me up (or the !*$%^*^ lock system) I am having an absolute blast with the game as it is soooo satisfying when I do get those wins, or even a nice kill streak.