PDA

View Full Version : Night Time on Pandora?

Jobosapien
12-27-2009, 09:26 PM
Hey guys,

I'm having a problem with the game I think. In the Demo, there was a fast transition into night time... the sun would set very quickly and everything would get dark and glow. I'm into the 4th or 5th big map in the game and so far I have not seen the night version of Pandora.

Is this normal?

Are there later maps where it's all during the night?

I'm a bit more suspicious now in thinking that it's a glitch -- I was stomping about in my Amp Suit a minute ago and I saw the sunlight rush across the screen (like it does when it becomes night time), but nothing changed. It was still daylight. I'm not sure what's going on here but I have the sneaking suspicion that my game is quite broken. One of the coolest aspects of Avatar is the bioluminescence, without that it's just another jungle on Earth with oddly-shaped plants.

Anyone else have this problem?

I'm running

Windows 7 64bit
Nvidia GTX 260 w/ 191.07 drivers.

Everything runs smooth and beautiful, except for the "No Nighttime" thing.

(I'm going to update my drivers right now)

Jobosapien
12-28-2009, 12:15 AM
I just tried the latest Nvidia drivers 195.xx, and it has improved the smoothness of the framerate a little, but I still get the sun shooting across the sky with hardly a change in lighting.

I probably should have mentioned, but I chose the RDA for my first run-through, and I purchased the game from Steam.

If anyone has any ideas I wouldn't mind hearing them! Do you get night scenes on Pandora?

janel5
12-30-2009, 12:00 PM
In the Na'vi campaign when you are in the location Swotulu, there is a place called Willow Glade, once you pass its entrance the whole map triggers into Night mode and everything starts to glow beautifully

killerav90
12-30-2009, 06:26 PM
ye it is light prity much all the time there are times when in the map that it will go into night but they are radom spots i noticed just walking into a area in the map some time will do it... this is for pc version on disc not steam

Jobosapien
12-31-2009, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the reply, guys!

I finished the RDA half of the game, and there was only one spot where it was night -- in a cave.

Story-wise, I guess that makes sense. As a marine you wouldn't want to be stuck/ lost in the jungle at night (if you've seen the movie you know how dangerous that is!).

Now, on to the Na'Vi campaign...

aQuila007
01-04-2010, 01:49 AM
Hi,

Well I'm nearly finished with the game (bought it on saturday) and the sad thing is I only played 2 times in night mode. The first time I was Na'Vi and the second with the RDA.

I really thought that they (the developers) would have thought for themselves and made the night time a bit more...how can you say...available in the game if you know what I mean.

Cause this is actually what makes the game unique form the others...(graphic wise) not just the daytime jungle and playing as the Na'Vi!

ronbosgra
01-04-2010, 08:07 AM
I finished the RDA Campaign and I have not played any map during night, anywhere (except the caves, but since when does sunlight glow inside caves anyway?) while in the demo it changes to night rapidly n everything becomes beautiful.

I'm now on the Na'vi campaign and so far no night time kicked in...

So what conclusion can we take from this?

WE HAVE BEEN SCAMMED BY UBISOFT, PERIOD!!!!!

(Thank god I bought this game with a big discount)

UbiGabe
01-04-2010, 09:40 AM
There are several places in the game where night is triggered, admittedly fewer in the RDA campaign than in the Na'vi campaign, but one of the later RDA levels becomes quite dark.

I think saying that you have been "scammed" is a bit reactionary... it's hard to take that seriously after having personally seen night on Pandora on several occasions.

Jobosapien
01-05-2010, 09:02 AM
I don't know if we've been 'scammed' exactly, but in the demo we clearly get to experience night as an RDA marine, and in the full game we do not (save for one little mini-level).

So, is that 'false advertising'? A demo is a form of advertisement, is it not? And this demo advertises running night missions as an RDA soldier.

Of course, one could hardly expect the final game to be exactly like the demo, but in fact I probably would not have bought the game had I known that there was virtually no night missions in the game. I can honestly say that my excitement in playing this game came from how amazing the night looks.

Knowing that the world turns to night in an awesome WHOOSH was the visual candy I most wanted to indulge in; the thing I most wanted to experience in this game. I created an account on this website just to see if my computer was broken... I fought hundreds of the same 3 adversaries (with different colors :-\) for the chance to splash around in the bioluminescent beauty of the Pandoran jungle at night.

If the Demo wasn't false advertising or a scam, it was at the very least a lie.

Pyro_Monkey
01-05-2010, 10:59 PM
yeah there really needs to be more night time in this game. There was only half a level that you play as a Na'vi when it's night, and I must say that half level was my absolute favourite part of the game, I spent hours there just running around long after I had completed all the missions and side-achievements. If every level was a night level it would certainly not be a bad thing (though maybe a little overkill, I'd rather see 1/3 of the levels converted to night, or, perhaps a toggle night on/off button).

aQuila007
01-06-2010, 01:55 AM
Right so i'm playing the RDA campaign now and have been plaing in the night 2 times... And I think i know what's what... I saw that (with both times) i staid in one place on the map and kept on fighting the Na'Vi. After a while it became dark and everything started to glow... so yea. Still testing this theory but this is what i saw.

Eccles1975
01-06-2010, 09:38 AM
Two things I think need to be made clear on this. The first is that the Pandorapedia clearly states that true 'night' rarely occurs on Pandora due to two of the three suns in the trinary system constantly bathing the moon with light. The fact that we get to see night in the game at all (given the relatively short timeframe in which the story progresses) should be counted as a rare treat, rather than an issue that we don't get to see enough of it.

The second thing is that a demo is exactly that - it is a demonstration of what may be seen in a final game given the capabilities of its engine, not a hard-and-fast 'this is what will be in the game' statement. All coders (including myself) have a little bit of fun and an ego trip by putting out demos that show just what our engines are capable of, but that doesn't mean everything we put into the final product is going to be the same, because everything in the final product has to ultimately fit within the storyline of the game.

aQuila007
01-06-2010, 09:50 AM
Great post Eccles1975, but just think from a gamer side... It was the night time function in Avatar that made me buy it because there is no game like this. (plants that glow this good anyway). But as you said the Pandorapedia explains everything...

I just hope that they can bring a patch out or something where you can choose to play in night or day...this is now after you've finished both campaigns. :-)

Eccles1975
01-06-2010, 01:33 PM
*grins* Well, purely from a gamer's perspective (which I also am) more night missions would be pretty nice, just for the aesthetic factor. I do admit, they are a little lacking, and watching the ground light up under my feet as I slaughter humans would be a nice touch. ;}

For the record, I only bought the game after watching the movie, on the advice of my local Game retailer, who said the game would be disappointing after the movie...oh he of little faith. *lol*

aQuila007
01-07-2010, 05:28 AM
Yip, also bought it after i wathced the movie (in 3D). The only thing i can say that is really not good in the game is the interface controls for the vehicles. But that's not what this side of the forum is about... so i hope the developers can come up with some kind of a solution to more night time game-play!

Jobosapien
01-07-2010, 08:07 AM
Nice post Eccles1975.

Despite what the Pandorapedia says, the game-makers themselves have a choice as to which part of the day they want any map to be. They can simply make it part of the story if they so choose.

I thought about what percentage of the game would quench my thirst for Pandoran bioluminescence -- I think I would have been happy with 30 or 40%. Or even just two ENTIRE maps that I can go back to again and again. That may seem like a lot, but the night totally gives this game a unique look and feel.

As I play through the night missions, I don't agree with how the developers did the night visuals. There is WAY too much bloom! There's a subtle balance that has to be reached when dealing with bloom -- too little and it's not very noticeable, but too much makes the player feel like their vision is blurry.

I would settle for what another poster said and just have an option to turn the map to night if we want, after we beat the game.

Is the Dunia Engine so bad that it can only render night scenes at particular areas? Why not every level? I recall fighting in the dark in "Far Cry 2" anywhere and everywhere.

I'm starting to think that Ubisoft's decision to not do night very often has more to do with how the Dunia Engine performs, and less to do with sticking to realistic Pandoran cycles.

Atkamon
01-14-2010, 09:07 AM
Okay, so I was really worried that there aren't really any night time parts in the game, but there are. I am currently playing as RDA, and I was playing for like 1,5 hours, and then nice and slowly it turned to night at one point. So there is night in the game, you just have to wait kinda long for it.

kylost1993
01-17-2010, 02:18 PM
It's not false advertising sense maybe the demo was made prior to it being put into the movie where whats her face said colonel myle said no night-ops. so its accurate to the story

Jobosapien
01-19-2010, 07:12 AM
Just wanted to follow up with my progress:

I have now beat the game as both RDA and Na'Vi -- that's over 16 hours of gameplay -- and as the RDA I played for about 15 min at night, and as the Na'Vi I played for about 10 min at night.

I feel cheated. By all accounts I enjoyed the game, but at least come out with a patch or small program so we can play at night whenever we want! I imagine it would only take one programmer a lunch-break to do it.

Neo_Gravija_ix
01-21-2010, 08:04 PM
You just have to wait it out, it can take an hour to two hours but every, and i mean EVERY stage has a night time mode. Some are more beautiful than others. IT can take up to two hours in the same stage to see it happen tho. I have done it so far for the first few stages, and even kelutrel, SOOO worth the wait to see Kelutrel at night. Aside of the intentional night time in the game its one of my favorite spots to be during the night. Try it if you have the time, tho i was dissapointed how some random Na'Vi have more intracate and dazzling patterns than Beyda'amo . . . . . *sad face*

armbrust11
01-22-2010, 09:20 PM
i get night all the time! but then again, i spend a lot of time to kill every plant. perhaps try playing more slowly?

AGENTxxxxx47
01-22-2010, 09:41 PM
Wait ? don't you get nighttime by just waiting?

I let my console idol until its nighttime, is that really happening?

I will say this game is underrated , when I first played the night time areas my jaw was on the floor.

With all the quirks with some of the combat the nighttime visuals make up for all the games shortcomings.

WOW turn off all the lights in the house and sit close to your TV is a sight to behold!

Yeah like others said just wait explore nighttime will come ON ALL MAPS!

I do wish there was a code to trigger it NIGHT TIME mode is insanely gorgeous.

i_am_me_Killer
08-05-2010, 11:04 AM
In Far Cr 2 you can sleep to advance time...thus choosing to play during night if you wanted.However in Avatar,on a general map(with no special trigger zones) night comes after 1 and a half-2 hours,and the night time IS NOT Saved.(so if i wait 2 hours for night and exit the game,when i return it will be day again).I am not judging, nor accusing but i really desire to play during the night...but i don't want to wait hours for it.I want to see every map during night time..it is beautiful and clearly show the talent of Ubsioft ;why not let it shine?So can you please help me?OR if there is no solution can you guys release a patch in which a day-night cycle lasts for about 15-30 mins instead of 1.5-2 hours?Any reply would be enormously appreciated.I hope i have not offended you in any way.Personally i love the game. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Mr_Shade
08-06-2010, 04:43 AM
There's currently no patches planed for the game - sorry http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

i_am_me_Killer
08-06-2010, 09:41 AM
So there is no solution? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Mr_Shade
08-07-2010, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by i_am_me_Killer:
So there is no solution? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif Apart from waiting? No.. sorry.

You maybe able to find someway of forcing it if you own the PC version, however those methods are not supported by Ubisoft.

i_am_me_Killer
08-08-2010, 02:43 AM
That is exactly what i am searching for.I understand the risk and take full responsibility,but i have not found anything to force it on PC.I googled a lot, but with no result.Do you have any knowledge of such ways?

Failer96
08-12-2010, 06:36 AM
There is ONE spot in the game where the night never ends. Go to Swotulu, and open the map. On the left side, in the middle of the left side, there is an area where the night never ends. You can find 3 creatures there. Viperwolves, Direhorses and that big orange thing, that RDA has names "Blue-horned cow". Exatky everything glows there.
P.S. use your 1st bow when you go there, cause your weapons will glow too

i_am_me_Killer
08-13-2010, 11:49 AM
You are missing the entire point but i don't mind,i got the answer i was looking for. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Mr_Shade
08-13-2010, 11:55 AM
In answer to your last question, I don't know of any methods http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Sorry.

muddeprived
09-09-2010, 11:02 PM
I was finally bored enough to wait for night time. I did it on the Ikran level. I forget the name of it but it's when you climb to the sky to get your Ikran. I completed most of the objectives and decided to wait it out before destroying the 3 towers. I waited 2 hours and it finally changed to night time. I can say it's pretty darn cool flying around at night. Although it's mostly a rocky region, there are some cool spots that light up and glow. I destroyed the towers and the dragons at night and that was neat. Now I'm gonna try Hometree next time I play. Sucks that you gotta wait 2 hours but I would say it's worth the views.

i_am_me_Killer
10-09-2010, 03:21 PM
Does anyone know how to open .pak files from installation folders?

i_am_me_Killer
10-10-2010, 01:27 PM
Yeah night time is worth it,but not 2 hours.I got a new objective in life:reducing the day/night cycle.

muddeprived
10-10-2010, 01:53 PM
If you play through the entire level and get all the accomplishments then it should take around 1.5-2 hours and it will be night by the time you finish.

I just got done playing the RDA campaigns and got night mode on every level after I got all the achievements for that level. I didn't use any vehicles and walked the entire way to delay it some more.

jakesuly2010
10-13-2010, 09:54 PM
i managed to get it to night after about 2 hours of the same map i got attacked by a thanator it was awesome looking but i was like aaaahhhhhh

jakesuly2010
10-13-2010, 09:59 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by muddeprived:
If you play through the entire level and get all the accomplishments then it should take around 1.5-2 hours and it will be night by the time you finish.

i think your my friend on xbl because of this game zombieapocs249

muddeprived
10-13-2010, 10:11 PM
Drop me a line if you ever want to play. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif