PDA

View Full Version : Feature request for gunsight view

XyZspineZyX
10-25-2003, 04:54 AM
Lately Ive been hitting toggle gunsight and POV50 When I am about to fire guns on enemy.Then as soon as I fire and pass opponent I hit again the toggle gunsight and then POVwideview.I am finding that this feels way more natural since a real 190 pilot would of leaned in close and put right eye up to revi when lined up and then pulled head back to scan the skies again.Gives the 190 and actually all cockpits a better situational awareness and at the same time you get right in with gunsight for better aiming when enemy is filling windscreen.

Now my request is just to have a single button that acts as a toggle for these views.

Push button once and its like hitting toggle gunsight and POV50

Push same button again and its like toggle gunsight and POVwideview

Right now its a combination of hitting 4 buttons and it doesnt give a natural feel of just leaning foward to fire and then leaning back to scan skies.You can set the views to whatever you like and then you can just hit this one key to get your two views quickly and realistically.

XyZspineZyX
10-25-2003, 04:54 AM
Lately Ive been hitting toggle gunsight and POV50 When I am about to fire guns on enemy.Then as soon as I fire and pass opponent I hit again the toggle gunsight and then POVwideview.I am finding that this feels way more natural since a real 190 pilot would of leaned in close and put right eye up to revi when lined up and then pulled head back to scan the skies again.Gives the 190 and actually all cockpits a better situational awareness and at the same time you get right in with gunsight for better aiming when enemy is filling windscreen.

Now my request is just to have a single button that acts as a toggle for these views.

Push button once and its like hitting toggle gunsight and POV50

Push same button again and its like toggle gunsight and POVwideview

Right now its a combination of hitting 4 buttons and it doesnt give a natural feel of just leaning foward to fire and then leaning back to scan skies.You can set the views to whatever you like and then you can just hit this one key to get your two views quickly and realistically.

XyZspineZyX
10-25-2003, 06:34 AM
Hi Wolfstriked,

You can do something somewhat similar in NewView with the Button Generator function. But it works as a hold-down switch - holding down a button or key you've assigned will keep the FOV narrow, releasing it will return to the wide view.

http://home.iprimus.com.au/djgwen/fb/worker_parasite.jpg

Need help with NewView? Read this thread. (http://forums.ubi.com/messages/message_view-topic.asp?name=us_il2sturmovik_gd&id=yzbcj)

XyZspineZyX
10-25-2003, 02:45 PM
Thanks clint-ruin for that info.This is what Im looking for but with just one more catch.Could you set it so that when You hold down the button it zooms to gunsight view AND also toggles gunsight?

XyZspineZyX
10-25-2003, 03:07 PM
I don't have access to my FB playing machine right now to test it, but you should be able to get this to work as described.

The NewView button generator functions emulate a keypress on the keyboard, but will also allow the button you're using on your stick for the Button Generator to function normally as a button press. So for example:

Inside FB, set a key for FOV50 and set a key for Wide View and make sure they work. Set the control to switch between Revi/Gunsight view to say, button 3 on your joystick.

Then, inside NewView's interface, go to Buttons > Button Generator, and set the "press" key to be the same key as you told FB to use for FOV50, and the "release" key to be the same key you told FB to use for Wide View. Go to the Buttons > Assignments > Button Generator menu, and set the "press / release" function to joystick button 3.

Now inside FB, holding down joystick button 3 should flick your view over to the revi sight, and zoom to FOV50. When you release joystick button 3, it should flick back to non revi view at the Wide FOV setting.

You may also find it handy to set joystick button 3 to the control "center without return" under the Centering controls section, so that NewView will stop moving your view around with stick movement while that button is held down too.

As I said I can't test this directly right now but I use something close enough myself, so it should work.

Need help with NewView? Read this thread. (http://forums.ubi.com/messages/message_view-topic.asp?name=us_il2sturmovik_gd&id=yzbcj)

Message Edited on 10/25/0303:29PM by clint-ruin

XyZspineZyX
10-25-2003, 04:08 PM
Thanks again Clint-ruin.It almost works/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif I press down and it shows pov50 with gunsight toggled on and I let go and its pov-wideview but gunsight is still toggled on so I have to click one more time and its off.Other thing is that my rudder pedals dont only control yaw anymore and now move screen up and down and I cant use my WASD keys for views.Willl keep at it since this utility is great.Thanks again/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
10-25-2003, 05:00 PM
Ahh - sorry about that - forgot that it wouldn't toggle revi in/out with the release combo. Unfortunately you can only assign one button generator function in NewView. If you have joystick control software for your stick, you may be able to work out a press/release combo from there to handle the revi/non revi view switch.

You may also be able to manually edit your FB settings.ini file and set the control for Revi/Non Revi to be the same as your 'wide view' and 'fov 50' keys. I don't believe you can set the same key to do more than one function in FBs own controls interface, but you might be able to make it happen by directly editing the control values in your settings.ini file for the current FB pilot, outside of the game.

There should be some entries in your settings.ini file that say:

[HotKey aircraftView]

... blah ...

End=fov70
PageDown=fov90
Delete=fov40
Whatever key you have set to fov50=fov50
Shift F1=cockpitAim

So try setting:
Your fov50 key=cockpitAim

And see if it works. No promises on that though.

Back up the settings.ini file before making changes, obviously. The default FB pilots one is found under \Users\doe\settings.ini in your FB installation directory.

You should be able to get your up/left/down/right view commands working using the "POV In Original Mode" section in the Button Generator panel. This allows you to set up views like the old F9 toggle mode in FB where a POV press will move your view to an absolute view position. Using the 'scan key' function, you should be able to select say, 'up' from the drop down view list, and then set 'w' to be the key used for the 'up' view, and so on.

I can't remember offhand if you'll need to set up a binding for "block POV use" in the Buttons > Assignments > Control section, or if you need to use the "Block POV with Numpad Key" function under Buttons > Assignments > Button Generator section to switch NewView into the 'old style' POV mode. Just bind an unused key or button to both of those and see which one works :>

Your rudder pedals shouldn't be doing what they seem to be doing. I don't know what's going on there. The only thing I can think of is that you may have URGear helmet emulation enabled in NewView. See if the 'helmet present' box is ticked on the URGear helmet emulation panel in NewView and untick it.

XyZspineZyX
10-26-2003, 12:52 AM
I tried everything you said and settles on hitting 2 keys.

First one has revi/toggle and the FOV50.Second key is just FOV90.Hitting 2 keys is better than having to hit 4.

For the rudder moving the cockpit,I set shift button to turn off the "bind joystick to views feature" and its not moving it anymore.

Its guys like Clint that put a smile on my face when I come here.Thanks again./i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
10-26-2003, 05:48 AM
Hi there,

Glad you got it sort of working :>

One other thing I thought of to look at is that you may have the wrong joystick set up in the "joystick" panel in NewView, and that might be the reason your rudder pedals are moving your view.

On the joystick panel you will see a select box to choose a joystick number and a POV hat number. At the bottom of the panel there should be a row of output numbers for the selected joystick like so:

X:
Y:
Z:
R:
U:
V:

It sounds like somehow your rudder pedals might be producing movement on the wrong axis for the currently selected joystick device number. Does the Y axis output field change when you move your rudder pedals for example? You might want to try changing the device number for the joystick NewView uses. Typically people set NewView up so that their view direction changes around with ordinary flight control joystick input. So that when you pull the stick back to climb, your view moves "up" along with it slightly. You need to have 'bind joystick to views' enabled for this to work as you've already discovered. Under the additional settings > speeds tab there are a number of settings that control how the POV hat and your main joystick function to move the view around - how fast and how far around the cockpit it can travel, etc.

You should be able to see the X field change when you move your main joystick left and right, the Y field for up and down, etc. If the joystick device number is set to the one your computer uses for your rudder pedals then this might explain what's happening.

The other panel I mentioned before, URGear Helmet emulation, allows you to set up a joystick number specifically for moving your view around. I noticed you asked about doing that in another thread in ORR just now. If you set up a joystick in Windows, then tick the 'helmet present' box in the URGear panel, and choose that joystick's device number in the URGear panel, NewView will use that joystick solely for moving your view around. This panel also has various response curves, etc, that you can use to fine tune how far and fast the view will move around from that sticks input.

XyZspineZyX
10-26-2003, 09:34 PM
Well I tried Joystick as UR-gear and it works a charm.The only problem is that I dont like the way the cockpit warps out when you look around in wideview.Its just me nitpicking but it bothers me and so I will just stick with snapviews for looking around since I dont get that wierd view.Looks great when at fov50 though!This has been the deciding factor for me in not picking up an IRtrack since I like to fly in wideview mostly.

Your right about the rudder moving the Y axis so I changed the device to 1 and it now works correctly.Thank you Clint/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif