PDA

View Full Version : OT- V1 History Question

bhunter2112
07-19-2006, 11:55 AM
I enjoy making little V1 FMB scenes in the game. Just a quick question. I am guessing that the germans had someone either german or whatever in england during the V1 attackes feeding them information. Was this so? Just basic information on targeting. Where it landed and so forth to try for some corrections. Why did the germans not switch to night launches? To make it more difficult for flac and fighters to intercept? Or did they?

bhunter2112
07-19-2006, 11:55 AM
I enjoy making little V1 FMB scenes in the game. Just a quick question. I am guessing that the germans had someone either german or whatever in england during the V1 attackes feeding them information. Was this so? Just basic information on targeting. Where it landed and so forth to try for some corrections. Why did the germans not switch to night launches? To make it more difficult for flac and fighters to intercept? Or did they?

ploughman
07-19-2006, 11:58 AM
They did change the fuel cut-out thingy that gave a warning of when the thing was heading earthwards after they became aware of it. On the other hand a lot of V weapons fell short because the British moved London a bit to the left. Seriously.

berg417448
07-19-2006, 12:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bhunter2112:
I enjoy making little V1 FMB scenes in the game. Just a quick question. I am guessing that the germans had someone either german or whatever in england during the V1 attackes feeding them information. Was this so? Just basic information on targeting. Where it landed and so forth to try for some corrections. Why did the germans not switch to night launches? To make it more difficult for flac and fighters to intercept? Or did they? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They did launch V-1s at night. I recall reading about intercepts in the Book NIGHT FIGHTER. Apparently the flame from the V-1 pulse jet allowed them to be seen for quite a distance at night.

I believe thay they also fed the Germans some disinformation (via captured spies) about where the V-1s were hitting in order to make them chage the targeting.

Bobsqueek
07-19-2006, 12:21 PM
The V1's had radio tansmitters to measure their range. But the Germans preferred to use intelligence from agents, and double agents inside England coupled with aerial recconnaisance. Double agents working for MI5 fed the Germans false information and told them they were travelling too far, which meant that most V1's fell short of the target.

I think V1's were launched in both day and night, losses being seen as not bad as there was no pilot and they were easily constructed, and also id imagine due to the disinformation they believed more were reaching london than actually were

III/KG3 (I think) were launching V1's from He111 at night and in poor wether, but that was mainly to protect the parent aircraft rather than the V1

fighter_966
07-19-2006, 12:22 PM
In real life V-1 wasnt that accurate weapon
accuracy of V1 from weapons launched from range of 125-130 miles was that 50 per cent would fall within an eight mile radius of their target
and those were fired from the ground . For air launched missile radius grew till 24 mile other 50 per cent could fall more or less anywhere along flightpath BTW they used He111 for air
launch!!

F19_Olli72
07-19-2006, 03:20 PM
I dont know the day launched statistics, but for air launched (which were mostly or all by night IIRC), according to the book "V1 Flying Bomb 1942 - 52" Of 1776 launches allied radars identified 1012. 404 were shot down (320 by flak, 11 by Royal Navy and 73 by RAF). 388 impacted in England, 66 of them in London.

77 Heinkels were lost, at least 16 to Mosquitos and the rest to weather and accidents.

woofiedog
07-20-2006, 12:37 AM
A bit of information on the V-1 bombs...

Links: http://www.flyingbombsandrockets.com/index.html
http://www.ctie.monash.edu.au/hargrave/rpav_germany_fiesler.html

http://www.ctie.monash.edu.au/hargrave/images/v1_500.jpg

fighter_966
07-20-2006, 10:39 AM
V1 range was set in before flight no transmitter there.. the aiming point was Tower
castle when they fired at London. During first phase London get 9017 rockets second phase was about1200 rockets and third phase 275 missiles in one week. Source German secret weapons of the second world war

Abbuzze
07-20-2006, 11:48 AM
At the end the V1 was more a financial weapon, to repel it cost around 5 times more than building an lunching it. It tied forces in Great Britan nevertheless - a senseless weapon in this stage at the war.

alphalvr
07-20-2006, 09:30 PM
the newspapers reported the boms fell short of london...or vice versa so the germans changed the range when the spies read it so they missed london.....so i heard anyway http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

luftluuver
07-21-2006, 06:45 AM
The Brits tried using an AWACS Wellington paired with a night fighter to intercept the He111s. The He111s would fly close to the sea but would have to climb to 1500' at 110mph to launch the V-1. This allowed ~6minutes for the interception to take place.

The first attempt was on the night of Jan 13 1945 and was a failure for the NF was sent after another British a/c. This was also the last night for KG53 launching V-1s at night due to lack of fuel and bases in Holland.

This from an article in an old FlyPast(April 1987).