PDA

View Full Version : Oleg, Some ideas, easy to implement and useful

tsactuo
08-04-2005, 05:58 AM
Here are some:

1) Disable "time slowing" in high realism settings? Or just have it enabled only when viewing replays? I don't think that the ability to slow the game is realistic at all, as it really helps the virtual pilot in aiming, moving etc. Also, in high realism settings you shouldn't be able to change cameras or views when the game is paused (or make it the only way to pause the game to be the ESC menu so you can't see anything).

2) Have the ability to draw some basic lines or symbols in the in-flight map?

3) Ability to use Ctrl/Shift/Alt (or even one joystick button to be used as Shift) + Joystick button/axis for extra joystick uses. Not everyone has a X45/X52. Imagine to be able to trim by pressing SHIFT (or one joystick button)+ Hat Switch. Much easier.

4) Even in full realism settings the toggle cockpit (well without the extra HUD stuff) should be enabled when the aircraft is on the ground with wheels. That will simulate the pilot's taxiway view to see what is just in front (raising head like in some PF planes). It still keeps realism and it doesn't need any new modeling as this will apply to all planes at once. Remember this view should be available only when the aircraft is on the ground.

5) Make the engine sound volume not to be lowered when you fire guns. (that is just a bug I think)

6) Make a button that as long as you press it the viewing will go and zoom at the correct level to the instrument panel of the plane. So that you can see all the basic cockpit instruments easy without adjusting zoom and view direction while in battle with the hat/zoom buttons. I would work like that: Press the button, see what you like in the cockpit (Manifold Pressure for example) release the button and the viewing is where it was, with the zoom level you had before pressing it. I think I saw this in LOMAC. Very useful.

7) Add confirmation when you press the delete button in the dynamic campaign listing. I can't believe that you can lose a campaign that you play for a month just by accidentaly pressing one button.

Tater-SW-
08-04-2005, 07:30 AM
"Time slowing" is only available in single player mode.

In single player mode you choose the difficulty level you fly any given mission with yourself anyway.

If you don't find it realistic, just don;t hit the key http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif . Is it that tempting?

Yeesh.

tater

Brain32
08-04-2005, 08:34 AM
3) Ability to use Ctrl/Shift/Alt (or even one joystick button to be used as Shift) + Joystick button/axis for extra joystick uses. Not everyone has a X45/X52. Imagine to be able to trim by pressing SHIFT (or one joystick button)+ Hat Switch. Much easier.

Extremely good idea http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

AerialTarget
08-04-2005, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by tsactuo:
Even in full realism settings the toggle cockpit (well without the extra HUD stuff) should be enabled when the aircraft is on the ground with wheels. That will simulate the pilot's taxiway view to see what is just in front (raising head like in some PF planes). It still keeps realism and it doesn't need any new modeling as this will apply to all planes at once. Remember this view should be available only when the aircraft is on the ground.

This is a horrible idea. It might be okay as an option, but not on full realism options! I agree with you that the view is worse than real life, by a lot. However, the fact remains that some aircraft did require S turns to taxi safely.

VF-29_Sandman
08-04-2005, 09:39 AM
about the lack of x-45/52's: if u have track ir, u could go into the stick programming software, have the hat switch set up as buttons, make a macro, and there's ur elevator trim.

Gremlin181
08-04-2005, 10:52 AM
Re joystic comment
I have an old Saitek gold stick and this has 2 shift buttons.
Its possible to program both the hat switch and the joystick axis with both shifts.
So thats a possible 3 hats and 3 axis settings.

You could even have the rudder twist set the same way I guess but havnt tried that.
I do have the 8 buttons programmed that way and so have 24 functions.
If they still make it you should get it pretty cheap and could test out your theory.

David

Daiichidoku
08-04-2005, 11:13 AM
all good ideas

but for number 6, i would liek to see what is already in janes WWII fighters game...

one can toggle certain instrument "pop ups", and choose which corner of the screen to place them, and also has control over size, small or large

Tater-SW-
08-04-2005, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by AerialTarget:

This is a horrible idea. It might be okay as an option, but not on full realism options! I agree with you that the view is worse than real life, by a lot. However, the fact remains that some aircraft did require S turns to taxi safely.

Actually, thatone is a great idea, particularly on full realism settings. I suggest you look at images or movies of ww2 aircraft during actual operations. They didn't just S-turn, they frequently (usually) have ground crew riding on the wings, or walking along side.

On CV decks, the planes were manhandled by the airdales, pilots didn't taxi their planes around unaided, period. Now you can spawn in on a CV (or test runway) and have no clue at all---and no way to find out---if there is a plane on deck in front of you.

If you fly online, you appear at various spawn points, and you frequerntly have no clue which way to taxi for the runway, as if that would happen in RL (you'd have to be taken blindfolded from the briefing and dropped inot a random airplane for that).

tater

Gawwad
08-04-2005, 04:19 PM

1) Disable "time slowing" in high realism settings? Or just have it enabled only when viewing replays? I don't think that the ability to slow the game is realistic at all, as it really helps the virtual pilot in aiming, moving etc. Also, in high realism settings you shouldn't be able to change cameras or views when the game is paused (or make it the only way to pause the game to be the ESC menu so you can't see anything).

Not such a good idea!
Think about when you wanto take screenshots?

That whole idea is kinda useless since you can get the same thing just by not pausing or slowing the game.
Would just make the game worse http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

tsactuo
08-05-2005, 06:33 AM
You could take screenshots or anything in the replay

Gato__Loco
08-05-2005, 11:59 AM
1) Disable "time slowing" in high realism settings? Or just have it enabled only when viewing replays?

As already said, no need for this. If you don't want to use this option, just don't use it. Just map the "time slowing" keys to other function and its gone!