PDA

View Full Version : Joystick woes...

Bluntage
02-14-2005, 10:14 AM
Well, trying to procure a joystick has been a real rollercoaster... one that makes you want to vomit after you ride it and never ride one again!

First, background - many moons ago I had a MS Sidewinder Precision Pro 2. Not many buttons, but it worked very well and I wasn't too bad at flying with it. As I got into IL2 more and more, I decided I was ready to graduate to a more immersive controller, ie. HOTAS, so I bought an X45 and sold my Sidewinder (mistake #1). I used the X45 for 6-8 months and never liked it, so much so I sold my X45 and uninstalled IL2. I needed a break.

Fastforward to now - I am ready to try my hand at flying again so I purchase PF and decide it is time for a new stick. I put a lot of thought into my choices, taking into account my financial situation and opinions from fellow IL2 pilots. So, I went and bought a Cyborg Evo Force on Friday. I spent 2 days fiddling with that thing, never got the force effects tweaked just right (they were lackluster to say the least imho) and felt it was a waste of $30 just for crappy FFB. Unhappy with the whole thing, I returned it and traded up for the X52. Out of the box, the X52 had the "deadzone" problem that everybody has been up in arms about, but I was able to tweak the input settings enough for it to respond to my satisfaction. However, inexplicably it began having right rudder input spikes, ie. I would get right rudder input sporadically and without provacation! I tried uninstalling/reinstalling drivers, calibration, etc etc etc. I am thoroughly disgusted with the whole affair and am on the verge of giving up my dreams of being a virtual pilot for good!

I had considered returning it and just getting a regular Evo, but I have been burned by Saitek one time too many. I don't think I can afford a CH Fighterstick or Combatstick and Pro Pedals and I dearly miss my simplistic but trustworthy Sidewinder, which are hard to find to say the least! What's a man to do?

Bluntage
02-14-2005, 10:14 AM
Well, trying to procure a joystick has been a real rollercoaster... one that makes you want to vomit after you ride it and never ride one again!

First, background - many moons ago I had a MS Sidewinder Precision Pro 2. Not many buttons, but it worked very well and I wasn't too bad at flying with it. As I got into IL2 more and more, I decided I was ready to graduate to a more immersive controller, ie. HOTAS, so I bought an X45 and sold my Sidewinder (mistake #1). I used the X45 for 6-8 months and never liked it, so much so I sold my X45 and uninstalled IL2. I needed a break.

Fastforward to now - I am ready to try my hand at flying again so I purchase PF and decide it is time for a new stick. I put a lot of thought into my choices, taking into account my financial situation and opinions from fellow IL2 pilots. So, I went and bought a Cyborg Evo Force on Friday. I spent 2 days fiddling with that thing, never got the force effects tweaked just right (they were lackluster to say the least imho) and felt it was a waste of $30 just for crappy FFB. Unhappy with the whole thing, I returned it and traded up for the X52. Out of the box, the X52 had the "deadzone" problem that everybody has been up in arms about, but I was able to tweak the input settings enough for it to respond to my satisfaction. However, inexplicably it began having right rudder input spikes, ie. I would get right rudder input sporadically and without provacation! I tried uninstalling/reinstalling drivers, calibration, etc etc etc. I am thoroughly disgusted with the whole affair and am on the verge of giving up my dreams of being a virtual pilot for good!

I had considered returning it and just getting a regular Evo, but I have been burned by Saitek one time too many. I don't think I can afford a CH Fighterstick or Combatstick and Pro Pedals and I dearly miss my simplistic but trustworthy Sidewinder, which are hard to find to say the least! What's a man to do?

FoolTrottel
02-14-2005, 01:34 PM
Try online at ebay....??

Papa_K
02-14-2005, 01:56 PM
I went from a Precision Pro to an Evo, about the time PF came out. It has a completely different response/sensitivity, and I had to adjust the in-game setttings...but now it's doing fine -- took a while to get used to.

For anything else someone may say about MS, I liked their sticks...BRING EM BACK!

Papa_K

Propwash
02-14-2005, 07:17 PM
Use a keyboard.

VF-29_Sandman
02-14-2005, 07:26 PM
havent tried the x52. went to the evo after the sidewinder died. ffb sticks have been problematic with some machines, and i never tried ffb again after it just wouldnt work right on a machine i once had. evo's will last roughly about a yr...and i'm a tad abusive in the twist dept. the rudder was the section that started goin fubar.

lucas_valentine
02-15-2005, 05:44 AM
I bought one of the last MS Sidewinder Precisions just over a year ago and I thought it was the best stick ever, that was until I bought an MS Sidewrinder FFB2 last month (on Ebay of course). The MS SW FFB2 is the most fantastic stick ever! It's so good that people online keep accusing me of cheating when I out-turn them in my Ki-61. I use the Profile suggested by Tully and its is so progressive and the feel is so good that you really can get the best out of any plane and when you out-turn a Zero in your FW190 it makes you feel so great when people accuse you of cheating!

TgD Thunderbolt56
02-15-2005, 08:00 AM
After you place a vakue on your wasted time and the frustration from dealing with all of this, a CH stick sounds like it would be even cheaper.

Since cost is definitely an issue, I'd say just do it in increments. First, I'd get a CH Combatstick (just as good as a fighterstick for this sim, but less money). Use the keyboard for rudder for a few weeks ( I have a flying buddy who flew without rudder input other than keyboard for almost a year...and he's a good pilot). Second, I'd get some CH Pro pedals. You can stop there if you like, but why not round out the system with a Pro throttle or Throttle quadrant at a later date.

Do this, and you'll never worry about controllers again...period.

TB

RevvinUK
02-15-2005, 09:44 AM
I agree with Thunderbolt, sometimes the cheaper option does'nt work out over the long haul. I've still got a gameport CH stick that still works as it did the day I bought it 7 or more years ago. I only switched to USB for the ease of connection and increased programmability.

Kandiru-Aku
02-15-2005, 10:20 AM
Thunderbolt u sound like a very wise man. Same CH setup here. Will never go back.

Bluntage
02-15-2005, 10:53 AM
Aye, gentlemen, I should have went CH from the start. I am extremely frustrated and have wasted a ton of time and gas money... you get what you pay for, indeed!