PDA

View Full Version : Editing the conf.ini file

Mr.Warbucks
12-07-2004, 03:42 AM
I have recently purchased a new AMD 64 3200 rig and I am currently testing out it's limitations in the graphics department. The game I am testing is AEP V.2.04.

I was using an old outdated NVidea 64MB video card, but the new rig has an ATI 5500 128 MB card. Although the ATI card that I have is far more superior than the NVidea, I am still not getting all the eye candy with everything turned up in the setup utility.

The forests still look like they are right out of a comic book, and ground objects are very hard to recon from 200 meters. By the time I see AAA on the ground it is usually too late to avoid their wrath.

I tested the rig out with Pacific Fighters (Stand Alone)and found that the water textures are absolutely awesome. However, the scenery still looks really average.

I do not dare to fly at treetop level because when I fly that low the trees disappear. I know that AEP has much to offer in the eye candy department, but I have yet to see it.

I was wondering if some of you kind gentlemen & gentlemenettes could post me some copies of your tweaked conf.ini files so that I can compare notes and possibly see some kind of noted difference in my graphics.

Your help will be much appreciated.

Kind Regards,
HF Warbucks

antifreeze
12-09-2004, 03:16 PM
Hmmm... don't know what to say about this.
Probably, like me, you fell for the 'trillion mega pixels per second' krap that they put on every box regardless of how good the card is. You think, well my old card was only a billion per second, so this should be a big difference, right?

Actually, considering you can shell out $400 or more for a new card, the difference in effects and textures isn't mind blowing, unless you're a gaming/hardware buff.
I was very disappointed when I upgraded from a $60 card to a $300 GF4 ti4600. Unless you know what to look for, you could miss the improvements fairly easily. It's more about little gains in quality and speed than actually changing the way the game looks. The forest still disappears whether your using a $60 or a $800 card. All that changes really is the amount of trees you can see and still get 60 frames per second. And you still have to use zoom view to see the AAA guns.

When someone posts 'I just tried the 4.11 drivers and THEY ROCK BIG TIME... YAHOOOOOO!!!'. What they really mean is that they may have gained an imperceivable two frames per second average during playback of a five minute track.

Big excitement over very little.
That's my opinion anyway.