PDA

View Full Version : New to SH3-Questions

dajini92
10-15-2005, 03:10 PM
Bought SH3 a while ago, and never really got serious about playing it until yesterday. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

I did a few of the tutorials, then started my campaign. I chose the flotilla that starts out in Williamshaven... or something like than. I was told to go patrol AN81. I set up my course, and when I got there, I made some more waypoints inside the zone, looking for ships. My problem starts here. All the ships go faster than my sub. I can see a ship, and I'll try to catch up to it, but it practically always makes it away. I try ahead flank speed, surfaced, and still can't catch up to it. Which brings me to my next question... if a red "dot" appears on my map and is heading towards me, how do I set up an intercept course for it? Right now all I really do is bring my sub into the area where I think it will come through. So...

1) I need some tips on how to catch up to ships I spot, and how to set up intercept courses.

2) Right now all my patrols consist of is setting waypoints to the zone, and once I get there I just make a bunch of random waypoints in the zone, kind of patrolling it. I feel like this is too simple, and I'm leaving something out, such as the radar/sonar. I haven't even touched these stations yet. What should these be doing?

4) I let the computer do all the torpedo solutions for me since I just got the game... but... I've noticed that sometimes if I "lock" onto a target and fire the torpedos will be waaaaaaaay off. Why is this?

5) During my patrol, should I make regular breaks to go under water, turn everything off, and activate sonar/radio/whatever they're called?

If I think of any more questions I'll post them here... I really need to get more kills. So far I've only gotten one. It was night, and I was sneaking up on a merchant, but from a distance of 3km I think he saw me because he started to go away from me. At about 2500 meters, I was frustrated that he was getting away from me (still have the crappy sub) so I locked on to him and fired two torpedoes. The first one missed by a couple meters, and the 2nd one hit him right next to the proppelors, cleanly knocking them off. He was immobilized, so I moved into a closer posistion and finished him off with one torpedo... this was another strange thing. He was at about bearing 15 from where I was, so I locked onto him, and with my last torpedo I shot. Well, you would think that since I was stationary and so was he, it would have been a perfect center shot. Wrong. It hit near the tail... why? It still sunk him, but the innacuracy was strange. Maybe it had to due with the fact that it was storming and the seas were really rough.

Please help with my questions.

The Avon Lady
10-15-2005, 03:16 PM
Here's a tip: get acquainted with The Community Manual (http://www.communitymanuals.com/shiii/).

pmatthews83
10-15-2005, 03:28 PM
First of all, welcome aboard. Now to answer some of these questions.

1) From the sounds of it, you are running the game without any mods. Therefore, if you are starting in '39 with the 1st Flotilla, you are in a Type IIA uboat. These are the smallest of the uboats available in the game and not overly fast. Whether I detect the ship visually or via sonar, I use the same technique. First, I determine the speed, either using UZO or periscope, or your sonar man will give you a general idea (ie Merchant bearing 010, medium speed). Then I go to the nav map, zoom in, and time compress to get an idea of which way the ship is heading. Using this I plot a course to intercept.

2) This never changes. You are always sent to patrol a grid. I travel to my patrol grid, complete my patrol (sinking every enemy ship I encounter there, since that is my mission) then plot a course for more abundant hunting grounds. A good place if you are in a IIA would be east of Southend in the northern part of the english channel. Plenty of Merchantmen travelling there.

3) I let the computer calculate torpedo solutions as well because I like "managing" my boat as opposed to doing everything myself. When you have the target ship in your sights, there will be a little triangle. Ideally you want this to be green when you shoot. You will still hit periodically when it is yellow, but don't even try if it is red or orange. Also, I don't fire unless I am within 2000m. And then only if I have to (ie. Firing on a destroy on a clear day)

4) This is completely up to you. I run almost completely on the surface with a few exceptions. 1-I submerge while making a torpedo attack during the day. 2-I always run submerged while travelling through the English Channel during daylight hours (too many warships to run on the surface). Historically, Uboats performed periodic trim dives and would do sonar checks while pursuing their prey or when visibility is minimal, which happens all too often around England.

I hope this is helpful. Good hunting.

vanjast
10-15-2005, 03:52 PM
From your (AKA) name it looks like you were born in 1992.
Boy! You have a lot of reading to do...
Don't play the game for the next few days, and browse the net, library for anything on UBoats, Subs, etc. and read the whole lot.
A lot of us here are 'Old Toppies' and have spent millenia with our noses in these books, etc. and provide some good advice.

Welcome, and enjoy the ride.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Gunnersman
10-15-2005, 07:57 PM
Muahahaha!
Fresh mea...*ahem*...I mean...HI dajini92! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

SH3 is a WW2 U-boat simulator. Its not an arcade game. Like vanjast said this "game" has a bit of a learning curve. But it can be made easier with certain settings.
Many people who buy SH3 usually have some technical understanding and knowledge of the history behind SH3.

That being said. If you want to get the most out of the game,(which is very rich and deep, no pun intended) you will want to read, alot.

Welcome aboard. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

dajini92
10-16-2005, 12:32 AM
I think I'm finally getting the hang on all this. One thing though: on the navigation map, blue means friendly, green means neutral, and red means enemy; correct? Because from a far distance, British ports were green but when I got closer they turned red... I'm not really sure how that happened.

Earlier today, hydrophone found a ship about 60 KM SW of me. I set up an intercept, and I actually got it right! Not much later, we got visual contact of it, so I dived and moved into posistion. I fired two torpedoes, with the computer figuring out calculations, and something strange happened. I fired when I had the lock thing pushed down, and the arrow was green. Shortly after I fired, the arrows turned yellow... and the torpedoes almost missed. They both hit in the very rear of the ship, and I was afraid they were going to miss for a second. The ship still sunk though, but why did they hit so far back? This is a diagram of what the situation was like, blue line being me and red line being the merchant. Of course, we weren't this close, but you get the idea. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

http://img424.imageshack.us/img424/9953/10uk.jpg

Oh yeah, this is also where I discovered just how important it is to use the hydrophone yourself every once in a while. I never would have been able to find this ship if I had just left my sonarman to do the hydrophone.

Gunnersman
10-16-2005, 01:08 AM
Press "Q" to open your torpedo tubes before you fire your torpedoes. Then your torps wont hit so far back. I had that same problem when I first started.

The green arrow lets you know you are at the best angle in relation to the target to fire your torps. Your torpedoes will not have to turn as far to travel on the proper line to reach the impact point. You can get away with a yellow and orange arrow. Red arrows are not so good. A red arrow means your torp will have to turn more than 90 degrees to reach its target. Messes up the timing.

Yes, the hyrdrophone operator sucks in the unmoded version. Its a bug. There is a mod that fixes that. Do a search on the forum here. Or maybe someone else knows better.

The Avon Lady
10-16-2005, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by Gunnersman:
Press "Q" to open your torpedo tubes before you fire your torpedoes. Then your torps wont hit so far back. I had that same problem when I first started.
Better yet, right click on your Weapons Officer to go to his station, use the mouse to look up a little. You should see the torp door toggle switches under the tube status lights.

Click just below each switch to open the doors. Unlike the "Q" command, this will keep them open until you fire a tube. With "Q", they will automatically close after a while.

VikingGrandad
10-16-2005, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by Gunnersman:
The green arrow lets you know you are at the best angle in relation to the target to fire your torps. Your torpedoes will not have to turn as far to travel on the proper line to reach the impact point. You can get away with a yellow and orange arrow. Red arrows are not so good. A red arrow means your torp will have to turn more than 90 degrees to reach its target. Messes up the timing.

Yes, it is possible to hit a target when the arrow is yellow or orange (actually, I've never tried it on orange). However, you are very unlikely to hit it if your torpedo is set with an 'impact' trigger. Impact is only reliable if the torpedo hits the target at a perfect (or near-perfect) 90° angle (green triangle). Magnetic triggers are much more capable of detonating the torpedo at less perfect angles (i.e. when the triangle is yellow, or maybe organge)

If you're at the beginning of the war, you'd better read this:

From the Community Manual (http://www.communitymanuals.com/shiii/index.php?title=Torpedoes#Pistol_types):
In general magnetic triggering will provide better results, especially for attacks where a close-to-90? angle is not possible. Note though, that early in the war the magnetic pistols were notoriously unreliably and in fact for a period U-Boats were directed to use Impact triggering at all times. Later in the war reliability improved.

Even though I don't do manual targetting (yet), I do use the Torpedo Data Computer (TDC) (http://www.communitymanuals.com/shiii/index.php?title=TDC#The_TDC_screen) screen to do the following tasks:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>Set up a salvo (http://www.communitymanuals.com/shiii/index.php?title=Salvo) for big targets e.g. an ocean liner or aircraft carrier
<LI>Change the pistol type (http://www.communitymanuals.com/shiii/index.php?title=Torpedoes#Pistol_types)
<LI>Change the torpedo depth (http://www.communitymanuals.com/shiii/index.php?title=Torpedoes#Torpedo_depth)
<LI>Change the torpedo speed
<LI>Keep an eye on the torpedo gyro angle (http://www.communitymanuals.com/shiii/index.php?title=Gyro_angle) as the target approaches. After you've locked onto the target, this green line shows the path the torpedo will take when you launch it. Ideally this should be as straight as possible which is when you see the green triangle in the periscope or UZO view. The more 'bent' the line is, the more the torpedo has to turn to hit the target which is when you see the yellow, orange or red triangles. This means that the chance of the torp missing the target is higher and, even if it does hit, the chance of the torpedo not detonating is higher too because it is striking the ship's hull at an angle.
[/list]
As for the hydrophone, yes it's a good idea to use it yourself sometimes. When you start to get more renown you will be able to recruit a good radio operator then, if you do well in your patrols, give him medals and promotions so that he becomes more reliable/useful on the hydrophone.

Cpt.Thorne
10-16-2005, 04:57 AM
Originally posted by dajini92:
I think I'm finally getting the hang on all this. One thing though: on the navigation map, blue means friendly, green means neutral, and red means enemy; correct? Because from a far distance, British ports were green but when I got closer they turned red... I'm not really sure how that happened.

You started your first career September 1 1939 from Wilhemshaven. September 3 approximately 13.31 you have gotten a radio message (click M to see messages when your Radio operator tell you have gotten one)telling that Germany and Britain are at war and hostilities agains Brittish shipping must be commited. So before this moment you have had Brittish ports as neutral but after receiving that message they turn red. And stay that way untill the war ends. Same thing will happen to US ports Dec1941 after the Attack on Pearl harbour and allowing you to sink US shipping without getting a dent to your renown as with neutral shipping.

Like vanjast said recommend reading and exploring the net. For starters unless you have already found this uboat.net (http://www.uboat.net)

Happy hunting and Welcome to the forum!

Ice Alex
10-16-2005, 05:33 AM
I do not have much time online, so I usually copy pages to read at home. Is there a way to download that community manual?

Thanks

ILikePortillos
10-16-2005, 06:55 AM
Here's a really simple method that I use that works fairly well.

You get a contact, you take out your ruler tool. Left-click once at the "tail" of the contact marker (I think this signifies the wake and let's you know what direction the ship is coming from), then drag the line some way off in the distance, being careful to line the ruler line up with the "tail" line on the ship. This should give a general line the ship is travelling. Depending on their speed and your proximity, I go to a point along that line, come to a stop, wait a couple of hours (depending on your proximity [time compressed, obviously]) and wait for the "Ship spotted!" alert. If I don't hear it, I move on.

I might run a search pattern if I'm not worried about running out of fuel. I'd say my technique works 8 times out of 10. I've been using it ever since the beginning of the war.

Good luck!

dajini92
10-16-2005, 04:16 PM
Another question: how do I assign qualifications? I want a sonarman (or something like that) so I click on it, and it highlights all the officers that can take the job. However when I click on the officers, nothing happens. Why?

Another thing: How much renown do I need to get a sub with a deckgun? Right now I have enough for a sub (forget the name) with 4 front torpedoes and 1 back, but no deck gun. Do I buy the sub and THEN the deck gun, or will it come with the sub?

Cpt.Thorne
10-16-2005, 04:46 PM
Your boat is type II U-boat. You cannot mount a deck gun into it. You need to buy a bigger one IIRC the VIIB being the cheapes was something like 1500 or so and the bigger and more advanced the boat is more it costs. But you cannot buy it unless its listed on the U-boat upgrade list on the side. Different boats were available in different ports so you have to check here (http://www.communitymanuals.com/shiii/index.php?title=Submarines) to see whats in and where. Though there are no renown prizes listed. Maybe somebody can list them to you. Hope this helps.

VikingGrandad
10-16-2005, 04:54 PM
How about showing some acknowledgement for the help you've been given so far, before expecting people to answer more questions?

You've had lots of useful feedback here - have you even read it all and considered that people have to put time and effort into trying to help you out??? You don't have to agree with the advice, but at least show some appreciation.

This isn't Ubisoft's technical support service, it's supposed to be a community! (one that's sadly losing some of its shine, in my opinion)

Kaleun1961
10-16-2005, 04:59 PM
What bothers me is how often the same basic questions are repeatedly asked, necessitating having to recapitulate the same advice ad nauseum. I've almost given up, since I see no change in the pattern: new person comes onto board after doing one patrol, does not have Playstation instant gratification experience and then does not take the time to read the sticky threads and basic advice threads, posts comments about how the game sucks, etc.

VikingGrandad
10-16-2005, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Kaleun1961:
What bothers me is how often the same basic questions are repeatedly asked, necessitating having to recapitulate the same advice ad nauseum. I've almost given up, since I see no change in the pattern: new person comes onto board after doing one patrol, does not have Playstation instant gratification experience and then does not take the time to read the sticky threads and basic advice threads, posts comments about how the game sucks, etc.

I agree. I read/post a lot less than I used to in these forums because a) I'm bored of seeing the same newbie questions and b) Anything I need to ask is nearly always answered in a couple of minutes by using the 'Find' tool, or in the Community Manual.

Look at the first response by Avon Lady in this thread:

Originally posted by The Avon Lady:
Here's a tip: get acquainted with The Community Manual (http://www.communitymanuals.com/shiii/).
Two clicks to get to some excellent information such as 'Intercepting Targets' that more or less cover off all the questions dajini92 asked. I can fairly assume that from his lack of his response, he ignored Avon Lady's tip. Yet some of us still tried to help him out. Need I say more?

Cpt.Thorne
10-16-2005, 06:46 PM
Well atleast people don´t get trashed and called names when asking stupid questions. I had the click M problem and that´s why joined this forum so I could click find and type radio message into it finding the needed answer in few clicks. I have ben very happy about answers to some of my wierd(dumb) newbie question and have tried to always thank everyone helpink me. K-61 and Chrystine being the firstones to help me out in the beginning.

Now I am trying to give something back by answering these neverending questions advertising the community manual etc. I don´t want anyone to thank and praise any answers I might give but I think it would be polite just to let the one helping the other out know that he atleast red the post and is trying to work things out or sumfink.

Coudl be also as answers help out the new kaleuns they get so drawn into the game they forget to thank the people who helped them but will return later with screenshots of successful patrols thanks to their helper or something. But sometimes that don´t happen and the threads are buried into the deep pits of the Atlantic.

I myself have found this forum a great place with great people around the world...but as am not one of the veterans here cannot really compare it to the good ole days. Just my 2cents on this matter
Cheers and Good hunting to you all new and old Kaleuns in this forum.
Cheers

dajini92
10-17-2005, 12:17 AM
Erm... well, where I come from, we don't acknowledge every single thing someone says to us. Conversations would end up being an endless stream of "Ya's" and "OK's". I'm not going to respond to each and every post with an OK, as that would be spamming. If you don't like these questions, well, there's always that wonderful "back" button. And kaelun, when did I say the game sucked? Hell, I love this game. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif And I did read avon lady's post, like I said before, I'm not responding with an "OK" to every single post on here.

JU88
10-17-2005, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by dajini92:
Erm... well, where I come from, we don't acknowledge every single thing someone says to us. Conversations would end up being an endless stream of "Ya's" and "OK's". I'm not going to respond to each and every post with an OK, as that would be spamming. If you don't like these questions, well, there's always that wonderful "back" button. And kaelun, when did I say the game sucked? Hell, I love this game. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif And I did read avon lady's post, like I said before, I'm not responding with an "OK" to every single post on here.

Dude, no ones asking you to respond to individuals, just a general "thanks guys" aimed at all those who helped you would be nice.... Jesus! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

CRSutton
10-17-2005, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Kaleun1961:

You are being a bit too harsh. You have to remember that not only might he be new to the game but new to using a forum as well. It takes a little time to get your sea legs and learn the rules and customs. I find nothing offensive in newbie posts and repeated questions. You don't need to read them or respond. It is not mandatory.

I have seen many forums where the hardcore have run off the newbies and that does not bode well for the game.

Oh yeah, I by the way did I mention that it is just a game. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Kaleun1961
10-17-2005, 01:54 PM
Dajini, I didn't say that you said the game sucked. I was making a general reference, as a careful reading of my post would show. I harbour no ill will to you at all, just venting some steam.

Sutton, point taken. The last thing we want is to make new people feel unwelcome.

Ice Alex
10-18-2005, 03:19 AM
You are being a bit too harsh. You have to remember that not only might he be new to the game but new to using a forum as well. It takes a little time to get your sea legs and learn the rules and customs. I find nothing offensive in newbie posts and repeated questions. You don't need to read them or respond. It is not mandatory.

I have seen many forums where the hardcore have run off the newbies and that does not bode well for the game.

Sutton, point taken. The last thing we want is to make new people feel unwelcome.

I'm glad that some people of this forum feel this way. I, for one, am a "wanderer" of sorts. I frequent forums of the games I currently play, but eventually fade as I finish or lose interest in the game (I can be picky sometimes).

Also, I don't spend much time online. I often "copy" posts to read at home and then draft replies, go back to the cafe and then post my replies. Sometimes, searching threads would take too long.

At first I was worried when reading the "rebuke-newbies" post in this thread, but I'm glad some people are willing to guide us "newbies" through this game.

Just my 2 cents.

Kaleun1961
10-18-2005, 12:32 PM
Ice, your 2 cents is as valid as anybody else's. Most of the new people come in with the right attitude. Once in a while, and I am not pointing fingers at any particular person, I will read posts from someone who is obviously not pleased with the game and who then go off and slam it. This is a complicated game, but it becomes simple if given enough time and practice. It is not the type of game that somebody unfamiliar with WW2 subs may easily get into, unlike a lot of those cloned versions of first person shooters.

There are a good number of resources available to the new player, which I think, at least, are easy to find. I'm not averse to helping newcomers, as a search of my forum activity will confirm. However, it does tend to get monotonous after a time answering the same questions. An example in point is a thread I made a little while back, listing every available internet site that I knew of which featured tips and mods. And the very next day the same questions pop up, where can I get mods? All we are asking is please try to at least do a rudimentary search first. In at least 90% of the time you will most likely find your answer. Like I said, I don't mind helping, but it does get to me when somebody slams the game and storms off in a huff and flurry of insults.

Ice Alex
10-18-2005, 05:15 PM
Once in a while, and I am not pointing fingers at any particular person, I will read posts from someone who is obviously not pleased with the game and who then go off and slam it.

WTF? This baby costs millions of $$$ (or whatever currency Germans use at WWII time), and cannot strafe right or left??? This game sux! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif

Hahahahaha!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif Sorry, I just couldn't resist...

On a more serious note, I have noticed (spend too much time in gaming centers) that there are basically two types of players - FPS-types (also called twitch gamers, arcade gamers, RTS gamers, etc) and strategy-types (loves turn-based games like Civ3, Heroes, and simulations). And it seems that when the FPS-types wander into strategy-types games, they end up "slamming" it for not meeting their expectations.

Let's just say I once challenged an "Empire Earth" pro (I used to consider Empire Earth to be RTS with little or no strategy) and we played starting the stone age. I was in Future Age later on, he was stuck around WWII - I had discovered a "strategy" to get the most out of the game/units/whatever.

Anyway, I digress... The point I wish to make is that when somebody slams a game (I would much rather use the word "sim" for SH3) for not being what they expect but that the game is what it aimed to be, well, let's just say his points don't really count.

An example in point is a thread I made a little while back, listing every available internet site that I knew of which featured tips and mods. And the very next day the same questions pop up, where can I get mods?

Ah, I am guilty of this. But I would still rather ask, than search. I learned this from Microsoft Flight Sim 2004. That had so many mods and so much stuff, most of which turned out to be doing something that I was not looking for or not interested in the first place. I do believe I've started a "please recommend mods to me" thread not because I have trouble SEARCHING for mods, but because I just want to get the mods the "experts of the game" think I need, and just skip the rest.

While I do agree that searching and reading posts might help out, well, there are just some of us (me in particular) that can only spend an hour or two at the internet cafe at most during a day, and with emails, school research and other stuff, well, not much is left for "searching."

Again, just my 2 cents.

Kaleun1961
10-18-2005, 05:27 PM
Ice, you're pretty perceptive in your observation about gamers and sim players. I am definitely a strategy style player. Mods can be a tough thing to track down, especially if you have limited time in an internet cafe.

Have you got a good idea of the mods you want? I think the majority of the hardcore Kaleuns in here would recommend these mods: Real U-boat, Harbour Traffic, SH3 Commander, Wolfie's Tweak Pack. Those are my main favourites. Not everybody likes all of the Real U-boat mods, so you can customize it using UnChange Real U-boat.

Then there are mods which really bring life to the visual side of the game. Pascal's mods, which you can get individually or all in one bundle, are about the best there are, in my opinion. Still, I don't quite like his gauges, so I borrow those from UnChange RUb. There are a good number of sound mods as well. I find it is best to download them and then listen to the files individually to see what you like.

Anyhow, I hope you get what you are looking for and enjoy your time here.

K-61

WilhelmSchulz.-
10-18-2005, 05:38 PM
Halo mein freund. And welcome this should answer all your problems. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
U-Boat manual (http://hometown.aol.co.uk/dominicobaggio/SilentHunterIII.html)

Ice Alex
10-18-2005, 05:55 PM
Wilhelm, will give your site a look when I can.

K61, thanks for the recommendations and the complement. I have learned recently that even some FPR/RTS-style games can benefit from strategy, but not all (I wonder how you can strategize stuff in Counterstrike or other twitch games or horde games like Warcraft). I'm a strategy guy at heart too, so the bite of the "SH3 bug" really isn't much of a surprise.

I am asking for mods for the time if and when I buy the game. I'm not sure when (I'll see if it becomes available again) or maybe just order online, but I'm still recovering from a few international purchases last month. Regardless, thanks for the recommendations.

Ice Alex
10-18-2005, 05:57 PM
Wilhelm, it seems that I have already gone through that site (downloaded the pages and read at home). It has very interesting stuff, and I definitely have to review the stuff on intercepts.

Though I can intercept what I want most of the time, 1 out of 5 still eludes me, so I have some honing to do.

WilhelmSchulz.-
10-18-2005, 06:05 PM
Yea I got that stuf and made a impromptu U-Boat manual out of it. Works pritty well, I plan to expand it as I learn more through trial and eror.