PDA

View Full Version : This is why I do not get into online gaming...

DrKain
05-07-2011, 10:47 AM
I am not that big of an online gamer. That is why I do not find X-Box Live to be worth the cost even though they do give you your money's worth. Online is cool for fighting games, but other than that, I want a story and a good single player experience with my games. I do not want the majority of the game being made for online play, because online to me is a bonus feature. If it is an online only game, that is fine, but if it has a single player mode, that should take presedence over, or be equal to the online portion. I'm looking at your Activision and Call of Duty.

Anyway, so this is the first game in years I have enjoyed online, and guess what, now PSN is down. THis sucks, because when I finally get a game I am enjoying that much online, I cannot play it. I'm not going to blame Sony, or the hackers, whatever. It is what it is. However, this has severely ruined my enjoyment of the game to the point that I do not even think I'm going to play it anymore. There is just way too much else going on now to play, and when PSN does go back up, I'll be plaing Mortal Kombat online or just be playing LA Noire offline.

Which brings me to the question, has PSN going down ruined your gaming experience for this game?

persiateddy95
05-07-2011, 10:50 AM
Sure, I'm mad because I cannot play, and so I'm eager for it to be back up to do it again, so I don't really get your point. If you did enjoy it that much then you would play it again. It's not the game's fault, it's Sony's.

LadyGahan2010
05-07-2011, 11:07 AM
@OP, I have a very similar experience. I have not engaged into online gaming until 6 weeks ago, and guess what, almost 3 weeks now without it... I can't say it ruined the offline game for me though, but since I played it several times now all I had was looking forward to the online part of it.
I did notice that offline games have less importance for me now... so no, gaming is not ruined for me, just less enjoyable, both online and offline.

NORTHBOERN1
05-07-2011, 11:17 AM
Sorry I hacked Sony, and ruined your online gaming. But I had to finish remodeling my kitchen, and playing ACB MP every Saturday was taking up to much time http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif. NOTE: This is a joke.

lane42
05-07-2011, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by DrKain:
Which brings me to the question, has PSN going down ruined your gaming experience for this game?

Not at all. My anger and disappointment is directed at Sony for their irresponsibility that allowed this to happen. In the future I'm going to think more carefully about buying anything for the Playstation or from Sony for that matter.

It's not too often that a game gets under my skin (in a good way) like this one has. In fact, when it became clear that PSN was going to be down for a while, I decided to build a gaming PC and switch to the PC version of AC:B. So Ubisoft got even more money out of me because of Sony's incompetence.

Now, the biggest irritation for me about the PSN outage is that it's holding my Steam account hostage and I can't play Portal 2 online or on the PC. But that's an issue for someone else's forums. :-)

BTW, it feels so strange leveling up a second time in AC:B.

m4tt3198
05-07-2011, 11:24 AM
Not at all. It's unfortunate, but c'est la vie.

I'm with Ted, I don't really get where you're coming from.
What you're saying is akin to getting your first football and then realizing you really like playing the game. Then, when the ball goes flat, or it goes over the fence, you decide that you never really liked the game after all. Sure, it's disappointing, and you probably want to rage a bit, but it doesn't change how you feel/felt about the game when you played it. When your PS3 eventually becomes obsolete -or worse, dies- are you going to say that you don't like video games?

Reign
05-07-2011, 12:23 PM
It started to try and ruin it for me. But I am so helplessly addicted to this MP about a week after the PSN went down I went out and purchased a copy of AC:B for the PC and that has saved my sanity.

I tried playing other games offline but just couldn't get into them, I would've been fine with the AC:B SP to play seeing as I haven't finished the DLC. But because the network is down I get an error message about loading DLC and I couldn't play it either.

At my age I felt a little silly buying a copy of a game I already own just because I couldn't play it. But as the time the network stays down increases, I feel better and better about doing it. I wish I a rich man I would send you all copy to speed up the matchmaking just a tad on the PC. lol http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/metal.gif

metalgearso1971
05-09-2011, 02:48 AM
@Op: For me it's actually the other way around. I can't wait to play online. Some time ago I decided to play less ACB because I had so many other games I still needed to finish. But now, with PSN down, I noticed I actually miss ACB's MP part, so this forced break in online gaming actually makes me long back to playing online. I'm sure when PSN is back up I'll play ACB to celebrate that joy, I may obviously not play as well as I used to, but that still won't stop me from jumping back in.

GAOStarr
05-11-2011, 02:00 PM
Because of my personal disappointment with Assassinate Mode and the way it has changed the Templar Pyramid, I was actually starting to play Multiplayer a little less.

Now I am glad that the Network went down. This has given me a justified reason to take a break from Multiplayer. Not only have I been able to complete the God of War series (which I have been postponing because of Assassin's Creed's awesomeness), but everyone else is taking a break with me.

I feel that only the most dedicated Assassin's will be joining back in and trying to get back on top of their game. I am also grateful that I will not be relearning the exact tactics and mechanics of the game alone. I'm sure it won't take long to get back on top of things, but it's encouraging to me to know that when I go back to it, I won't be the only one falling in love again.

sht4brainz
05-11-2011, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by lane42:

Actually, it feels refreshing. It's quite fun (at least for the first 28 levels before the poison spammers kick in) to use "basic" techniques to play the game. I used my second playthrough to practice picking out my pursuers, and it helped immensely. I started my 3rd playthrough shortly before the network went down, and reached level 8 in about 4 matches. I even finished first with 5350 in a match with several 20s and 30s (that's without the +300 kill streak). So it shouldn't feel TOO strange http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

metalgearso1971
05-12-2011, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by GAOStarr:
Because of my personal disappointment with Assassinate Mode and the way it has changed the Templar Pyramid, I was actually starting to play Multiplayer a little less.

Now I am glad that the Network went down. This has given me a justified reason to take a break from Multiplayer. Not only have I been able to complete the God of War series (which I have been postponing because of Assassin's Creed's awesomeness), but everyone else is taking a break with me.

I feel that only the most dedicated Assassin's will be joining back in and trying to get back on top of their game. I am also grateful that I will not be relearning the exact tactics and mechanics of the game alone. I'm sure it won't take long to get back on top of things, but it's encouraging to me to know that when I go back to it, I won't be the only one falling in love again.

I agree with you there. I'm sure I'll have a totally different view on ACB when I return to it after this break. Before PSN went down I just didn't really know what would be the best way for me to play the game. Now, with this break, I had time to look back at things and I'm able to start fresh.

lane42
05-13-2011, 04:36 AM
Originally posted by sht4brainz:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lane42:

Actually, it feels refreshing. It's quite fun (at least for the first 28 levels before the poison spammers kick in) to use "basic" techniques to play the game. ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't mean to imply that it's bad. Being pulled out of your comfort zone can be disorienting at first. But on the other hand I've learned how much I depend on defensive abilities (too much) and now how easy it is to fall back on old habits. Overall it's been fun and illuminating to experience the game from the "other side" again.