PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic campaign generator and other stuff

redhornet07
01-12-2010, 09:12 PM
So I was poking around my IL2 game folder and went here:IL-2 Stumovik > DGen and I stumbled upon a readme file called "DGen_Readme" and in it is some information about tuning the dynamic campaign generator. I wasn't aware IL2 had a campaign generator, so if there is one how do I access it? I've only found 2 campaigns that came with the game, one for Germans on eastern front and one for Brits in the Pacific. Where's the dynamic campaign generator the readme tells of?

Also, after I installed the "you know which" mods, the campaigns went to Russian text, is there a way to have the text English again? (and before anyone says to uninstall mods, the whole point of the qusetion is because I'd like to play the campaigns with the mods.)

Lastly, I've never been able to access/find where to view my pilots awards/medals for the campaigns. I press the "awards" button in the pilot roster area but it doesn't do anything. I must be in the wrong screen yes?

Okay that's all thanks for any answers you could give!

AndyJWest
01-12-2010, 10:01 PM
Sorry to state the obvious here but:

I've only found 2 campaigns that came with the game, one for Germans on eastern front and one for Brits in the Pacific.

.... after I installed the "you know which" mods, the campaigns went to Russian text, is there a way to have the text English again? (and before anyone says to uninstall mods, the whole point of the qusetion is because I'd like to play the campaigns with the mods.

If you are only finding 2 campaigns, it sounds like a problem with the mods, I've never heard of either problem with unmodded IL-2. I'd go back to 'you know where' for answers.

Personally, I've got no problem with mods, if they work.

thefruitbat
01-13-2010, 03:59 AM
ignoring andys unhelpful post, are you saying that you only had 2 campaigns available before you installed the mods?

If so, then you have a bad install to start with, as loads of dgen campaigns come as stock.

2nd, It is a documented problem that some mod ativators will turn the briefings in to russian, but this can easily be fixed by backing up your dgen folder before 'modding', and then copying it back in after modding.

If you want, i can upload my dgen folder for stock 4.09, and you should be able to just copy it in, although if you haven't got battle of europe, you won't be able to play some of the western front dgen campaigns anyway.

fruitbat

jamesblonde1979
01-13-2010, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by thefruitbat:
ignoring andys unhelpful post, are you saying that you only had 2 campaigns available before you installed the mods?

What Andy was trying to say is that mod specific discussion (mod specific I mean, please be as witty as you can otherwise) isn't allowed here, his dry British wit obscures his meaning for some I guess.

It's best to take this kind of discussion to private messaging as this is an ubi forum and we are stuck with their rules.

thefruitbat
01-13-2010, 06:53 AM
If he only had 2 dgen campaigns working before he installed mods, its not a mod issue, no matter how dry and wity you want to be.

the russian bit yes. 2 campaigns before no...

redhornet07
01-13-2010, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. Yes I saw only 2 campaigns before I installed the mods, which I didn't install until about a year after I started playing IL2 (which was early 2008). I don't know how it could have been a bad install, I bought and installed "IL2 Sturmovik 1946 The Signature Collection" version, which had all the games on 1 DVD. I'll definately do the Dgen folder re-copy over, as I saved my original IL2 install on my drive in a separate folder.

Just to clarify, by campaigns I mean the stock series of missions tied together for one pilot, in the pilot career section. Not the single missions in the game.

Thanks again for the suggestions, keep them coming!

thefruitbat
01-13-2010, 09:41 AM
Hi redhornet,

dgen campaigns are started through this menu,

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y290/thefruitbat1/grab0000-16.jpg

This screenshot is from my 4.09 stock install, as you can see there are many options. Now, my dgen folder is not stock, as i have applied Enjoyr's excelent dgen update which adds several more user made dgen campaigns, which can be found here, at simhq, Oh, and before the mod hating crowd jump in before reading properly, this is not a 'mod'

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthre...opics/2936451/1.html (http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2936451/1.html)

Could you check the size of your dgen folder, mine as it stands is 151 mb.

also check you have the Dgen app in your il2 root directory,

fruitbat

AndyJWest
01-13-2010, 10:12 AM
Sorry, RedHornet, I misunderstood your post. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blush.gif As thefruitbat says, the DGEN is used for most campaigns. I think it always tells you, but the <STRIKE>static (non-DGEN)</STRIKE> DGEN campaigns are marked with an '*' normally (TFB's seem to use a 'x' to indicate static instead, I suspect that is the Enjoyr update).

EDIT ----
Corrected how stock campaigns are marked.

thefruitbat
01-13-2010, 10:19 AM
i just checked a clean install straight of the dvd for you,

dgen folder is 39.3 meg, 42.3 on disk, and the dgen app is 1.33meg,

what do you have?

thefruitbat
01-13-2010, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by AndyJWest:
Sorry, RedHornet, I misunderstood your post. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blush.gif As thefruitbat says, the DGEN is used for most campaigns. I think it always tells you, but the <STRIKE>static (non-DGEN)</STRIKE> DGEN campaigns are marked with an '*' normally (TFB's seem to use a 'x' to indicate static instead, I suspect that is the Enjoyr update).

EDIT ----
Corrected how stock campaigns are marked.

yeah the ones with 'x' were among those added by enjoyr's patch, but there not static, they are dgen. the static campaigns have nothing in front of them, as shown here,

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y290/thefruitbat1/gr.jpg

The bottom three campaigns shown are static.

jamesblonde1979
01-13-2010, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by thefruitbat:
If he only had 2 dgen campaigns working before he installed mods, its not a mod issue, no matter how dry and wity you want to be.

the russian bit yes. 2 campaigns before no...

Yeah that is weird, probably some corruption in the dgen folder.

Was this copy of the game downloaded via direct to drive?

If so and if it is a 'paid for' copy then maybe a torrent might be a reasonable alternative.

redhornet07
01-13-2010, 08:23 PM
Guys, thank you very much for the help. I tried copying the Dgen folder from my backup version to the modded one and the campaign text is still in Russian, so not sure what to do next. I'm probably not doing something corectly. I do see a lot of campaign choices but it's all in Russian.

The size of the DGen folder in the unmodded backup is 39.3mg size/42.2mg size on disk. I do have the DGen app in the root directory.

AndyJWest
01-13-2010, 08:36 PM
I think there are two things that may cause the 'Russian text' problem:

(a) Using a 'Russian' patch for 4.09m.

(b) Using some mods.

I've seen references to both issues in various forums. The patch issue can only be fixed as far as I know by reinstalling using the correct one. Where did you get the patch?

jamesblonde1979
01-13-2010, 08:48 PM
Ensure that the default language is 'english'.

thefruitbat
01-14-2010, 05:44 AM
Hi red hornet,

actually delete the dgen folder in your 'mod' install, and then copy in the dgen folder from your unmodded backup, rather than copying straight over, should solve your problem.

if this doesn't work, pm me.

fruitbat

redhornet07
01-14-2010, 07:31 AM
thefruitbat, I'll give that a try and let you know.

Thanks!