PDA

View Full Version : Why I love this game

XyZspineZyX
10-12-2003, 02:47 PM
I was on a dogfight server today doing a bit of 1 on 1. These of you who have read "The Blond Knight of Germany" will understand why the following battle made me so much impressed with this game.

So there I was, flying a British Hurricane - not a very capable machine by any account, against the infamous German Bf109. I had used the time since his last arrival to gain considerable altitude, circling above a point slightly east of my airfield. I was circling lazily at 4500 meters, when I spotted a single white dot moving against the watery landscape below. I kept my altitude, following him with my eyes for a few moments. It seemed he hadn't noticed me yet.
I pushed my nose down, and began a steep dive towards the enemy fighter, positioning myself at his altitude and right behind him. The distance was closing fast - 600 meters, 500, 400, 300... I held my fire, waiting for the last moment. 100 meters - Fire! My machine guns exploded into a blaze of fire and tracer rounds. I saw multiple hits on the left wingtip, and the Messerschmitt broke off to the right.
Unfortunately, I am not yet as good a marksman as Erich Hartmann, and failed to score any fatal hits.
Luckily for me, my enemy seemed a bit unadjusted to his aircraft, as he turned his bird around frantically trying to get on my tail. With my slower but more maneuverable Hurricane, I was able to quickly turn the battle in my favour, and my target had no choice but to try and run. By this time, however, it was too late. He had lost too much speed, and I was at a perfect position to cut into his line of travel and tuck myself in close behind. The opposing pilot tried frantically to shake me off as I pumped burst after burst into his plane. At my final shots, the plane seemed to hang in the air for a moment, before pushing down and beginning a steep dive towards the earth.
Convinved he was trying to escape, I began to follow, but was stopped by the sight of the canopy popping open, and the pilot's parachute blossoming before me.
The doomed Messerschmitt continued it's dive towards it's inevitable demise 3000 meters below.

I would like to point out though, that the pilot I was fighting against was in no way a bad pilot. He made for a suspensful fight even in a bird he probably wasn't fully used to yet, and he was especially a good sport - be it when I was spraying him as an enemy, or when I accidentally shot him down as a friend.
Salute!

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

XyZspineZyX
10-12-2003, 02:47 PM
I was on a dogfight server today doing a bit of 1 on 1. These of you who have read "The Blond Knight of Germany" will understand why the following battle made me so much impressed with this game.

So there I was, flying a British Hurricane - not a very capable machine by any account, against the infamous German Bf109. I had used the time since his last arrival to gain considerable altitude, circling above a point slightly east of my airfield. I was circling lazily at 4500 meters, when I spotted a single white dot moving against the watery landscape below. I kept my altitude, following him with my eyes for a few moments. It seemed he hadn't noticed me yet.
I pushed my nose down, and began a steep dive towards the enemy fighter, positioning myself at his altitude and right behind him. The distance was closing fast - 600 meters, 500, 400, 300... I held my fire, waiting for the last moment. 100 meters - Fire! My machine guns exploded into a blaze of fire and tracer rounds. I saw multiple hits on the left wingtip, and the Messerschmitt broke off to the right.
Unfortunately, I am not yet as good a marksman as Erich Hartmann, and failed to score any fatal hits.
Luckily for me, my enemy seemed a bit unadjusted to his aircraft, as he turned his bird around frantically trying to get on my tail. With my slower but more maneuverable Hurricane, I was able to quickly turn the battle in my favour, and my target had no choice but to try and run. By this time, however, it was too late. He had lost too much speed, and I was at a perfect position to cut into his line of travel and tuck myself in close behind. The opposing pilot tried frantically to shake me off as I pumped burst after burst into his plane. At my final shots, the plane seemed to hang in the air for a moment, before pushing down and beginning a steep dive towards the earth.
Convinved he was trying to escape, I began to follow, but was stopped by the sight of the canopy popping open, and the pilot's parachute blossoming before me.
The doomed Messerschmitt continued it's dive towards it's inevitable demise 3000 meters below.

I would like to point out though, that the pilot I was fighting against was in no way a bad pilot. He made for a suspensful fight even in a bird he probably wasn't fully used to yet, and he was especially a good sport - be it when I was spraying him as an enemy, or when I accidentally shot him down as a friend.
Salute!

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

XyZspineZyX
10-12-2003, 03:04 PM
Nice story!

S! Simon.
<center>

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
Download the USAAF campaign folder here (http://mudmovers.com/Sims/FB/fb_essential_files.htm).

http://extremeone.4t.com/images/ex1_soon.jpg
<font color="#000000">It's my attitude not my aptitude that determines my altitude.</font></center>

XyZspineZyX
10-12-2003, 09:21 PM
Bump? /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
10-13-2003, 12:17 AM
Cheers mate! /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

-----------------------------------------------------------
http://www.stephencohengallery.com/current_exhib/P-40.jpg

Steaks
375th FS

XyZspineZyX
10-13-2003, 01:20 AM
AirBot wrote:
- Unfortunately, I am not yet as good a marksman as
- Erich Hartmann, and failed to score any fatal hits.
- Luckily

I like the 'yet' - admirable optimism!