PDA

View Full Version : Crew positions in medium bombers

Karstako
05-06-2007, 01:37 PM
We were planning to play coop mission where we would man a single b-25 or other medium bomber with 4-5 players.

However, I found a problem that pretty much ruined our plan: It seems there can be only one player that can control the plane at a time, so pilot's and bomber/navigator's positions can't be manned simultaneously. Also only player that chose to be pilot can go to bomber/navigators position, so all the critical tasks fall to one player.

Is this something that could be fixed somehow, or is it just impossible with the il-2's game-engine? Also being able to play as co-pilot would be nice: he can help with engine management and stuff, and extra pair of eyes might also be useful on the cockpit.

Tooz_69GIAP
05-06-2007, 02:48 PM
Well, the bombardier's job isn't that difficult with the ability to use level stabiliser on the medium bombers.

Trim up a little, and make sure you maintain an airspeed above 300kph and then engage the level stabiliser, and you should be able to maintain your altitude.

You then control your heading through rudder trim while coming onto the target. All you need to be able to do is calculate your true airspeed in order to get your bombs on target. After a couple of practice runs, you should be able to do it without too much trouble.

Karstako
05-06-2007, 04:13 PM
Thanks for reply, but I wasn't really asking how to do bombing.

And I do think bombardier's job is pretty demanding and important, because he is the only one that can properly see forward and down, so he must find and identify targets (of-course there is the nose gunners position, but it has kinda narrow field of vision). For the sake of realism and teamwork pilot can't and shouldn't see what bombardier does.
We are going to play with full realism settings, so navigation is also important. When there's no land in sight, navigator has to do dead reckoning with compass, clock and speed indicator (can't be seen from nose gunners position either).

We are doing this as a LAN game. This is how we probably should arrange it:
Pilot is sitting in front of his screen with his controls. Player acting as co-pilot/radio operator/nose gunner/bombardier/navigator is sitting next to him. He has his own computer for nose gunner's position, but he also uses pilot's keyboard for other duties and also his screen when bombing.
I think we have enough cheap laptops to cover all machine-gun positions. Remaining players man these and move between them if there isn't enough players for every position.

My point is, that if bombardier's and pilot's positions could be used simultaneously, we could divide tasks between player's more evenly and a bit more realistically.

Wolkenbeisser
05-07-2007, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by Karstako:
...My point is, that if bombardier's and pilot's positions could be used simultaneously, we could divide tasks between player's more evenly and a bit more realistically.

We have the same problem in our LAN-Squadron. I hobe in BOB it will be possible to use every position for the tasks they were used in reality.