PDA

View Full Version : Do planes change in career mode?

rfxcasey
04-22-2010, 06:38 AM
I've never completed a campaign in IL-2 and was just wondering if the planes ever change as the career moves along. I have reached a point where I my Wildcat had been updated with a supercharger but will I ever be switched to a hellcat or corsair?

Erkki_M
04-22-2010, 06:57 AM
Wildcat updated with a supercharger, what the...? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Oh yes, you squad will at some point upgrade to a (usually better) another aircraft.

DKoor
04-22-2010, 08:10 AM
At some point (rather quickly) you will upgrade to H-Cat or Corsair... All stock campaigns are designed to move you on better aircraft or at least different ones as Erkki said.
Only shortest campaigns (usually one map) have one aircraft...

WTE_Galway
04-22-2010, 04:56 PM
When you first start a stock dynamic campaign there is a setup window that shows what aircraft you will be transferred to at what date.

Usually if you click on the aircraft choices there are other options allowed for that campaign when you start the career you do not have to accept the default choices.

However once you accept the list of planes it is then set for the campaign, changing it later requires manually editing the campaign generator config file (conf.dat) for that career. (you can also change your current aircraft by playing with the settings in status.dat)

To answer your original question, you can find out what aircraft you will be getting later in your career by reading (in notepad) the file:

[YOUR IL2 FOLDER]\missions\campaign\[nation you are playing - in your case probably US]\dgen\conf.dat

cuttr_234
05-06-2010, 10:25 AM
I've just started playing this game. I'm sorry I waited so long to pick it up. every time I end a session I'm thinking, this game is sooo good. I was still messing around w/MS CFS until a month ago.

i've been playing an eastern front campaign, in terms of the plane "changing" does the career mode not paint "kills" on your aircraft? for a such realistic game I was disappointed to not see that happening to my personal craft. does this require some patch?

thanks.

Erkki_M
05-06-2010, 10:27 AM
Very, very few pilots had personal aircraft. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Sillius_Sodus
05-06-2010, 10:43 AM
Unfortunately the game does keep track of your victories on your aircraft. If you want to do that you'll have to paint them on the skin yourself using a graphics program like paint.net.

rfxcasey
06-01-2010, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by cuttr_234:
I've just started playing this game. I'm sorry I waited so long to pick it up. every time I end a session I'm thinking, this game is sooo good. I was still messing around w/MS CFS until a month ago.

i've been playing an eastern front campaign, in terms of the plane "changing" does the career mode not paint "kills" on your aircraft? for a such realistic game I was disappointed to not see that happening to my personal craft. does this require some patch?

thanks.

I don't know about that patch but as others have turned me on too you should definitely check out DCG the dynamic campaign generator. It takes a little learning to get the right balance your looking for. When I first used it I there were WAY too many planes in the air at one time for my liking. If you need any help figuring it out hit me up with a PM and we can Skype or Teamspeak about it.

But you DEFINITELY want to use the DCG it is leaps and bounds beyond the standard campaigns with much more detailed debriefing as well as crazy in depth dynamic campaign factors. Everything you do has an impact on the future of the campaign. It is soooooo awesome!!!