PDA

View Full Version : Feature Request: Don't save head position with trk

XyZspineZyX
06-25-2003, 07:05 PM
Ever since I installed TrackIR - the game CRASHES when it is trying to save a mission that lasted close to an hour. The files are huge - over 15MB - compared to the usual 1-2MB that I used to have without it.

I installed the PatchSaveTrack patch that was posted on the General Discussion forum and it does decrease the save time considerably, but it didn't fix my problem. Now it just crashes QUICKER!

Since I usually turn on Manual View control when watching a track - I wonder if it would be possible to not save the head position within the track - just set it to the default straight ahead view. I look around like a madman now that I have TrackIR so I know there is ALOT of information it is trying to save!

I posted the bug (along with the exact error message "Memory cannot be read") in the Bug Post on the Tech Support page.

This could just be a feature that you can set - maybe under the Difficulty section.

Thanks again for a great sim!

<center> http://www.autumnhullphoto.com/fbsig.jpg

XyZspineZyX
06-25-2003, 07:05 PM
Ever since I installed TrackIR - the game CRASHES when it is trying to save a mission that lasted close to an hour. The files are huge - over 15MB - compared to the usual 1-2MB that I used to have without it.

I installed the PatchSaveTrack patch that was posted on the General Discussion forum and it does decrease the save time considerably, but it didn't fix my problem. Now it just crashes QUICKER!

Since I usually turn on Manual View control when watching a track - I wonder if it would be possible to not save the head position within the track - just set it to the default straight ahead view. I look around like a madman now that I have TrackIR so I know there is ALOT of information it is trying to save!

I posted the bug (along with the exact error message "Memory cannot be read") in the Bug Post on the Tech Support page.

This could just be a feature that you can set - maybe under the Difficulty section.

Thanks again for a great sim!

XyZspineZyX
06-26-2003, 03:05 AM
JRH147 wrote:
- Ever since I installed TrackIR - the game CRASHES
- when it is trying to save a mission that lasted
- close to an hour. The files are huge - over 15MB -
- compared to the usual 1-2MB that I used to have
- without it.
-
- I installed the PatchSaveTrack patch that was posted
- on the General Discussion forum and it does decrease
- the save time considerably, but it didn't fix my
- problem. Now it just crashes QUICKER!
-
- Since I usually turn on Manual View control when
- watching a track - I wonder if it would be possible
- to not save the head position within the track -
- just set it to the default straight ahead view. I
- look around like a madman now that I have TrackIR so
- I know there is ALOT of information it is trying to
- save!
-
- I posted the bug (along with the exact error message
- "Memory cannot be read") in the Bug Post on the Tech
- Support page.
-
- This could just be a feature that you can set -
- maybe under the Difficulty section.
-
- Thanks again for a great sim!
-

I have tir too, but haven't experienced your problem, so it could be a problem your comp's got and not one with FB. The only thing I've noticed is while inside cockpit head movements are replayed, if you switch to manual movement and go to externals the pilot's doesnt move, stays fixed ahead. Whether thats to do with my setup I don't know, I don't believe so as they's no problem otherwise.

Sorry I can't be of any more help than that

Regards

Rook

XyZspineZyX
06-26-2003, 10:11 AM
The memory error is not strictly related to the tracks, actually. It will hopefully be fixed anyway.

Happens on 2K/XP systems, not on 98/ME systems.

In the meantime, using the ntrk feature provides a workaround for your problem.

XyZspineZyX
06-26-2003, 04:11 PM
That's great news - I am running XP with only 512MB - hopefully it is fixed and I won't have to upgrade...

XyZspineZyX
06-26-2003, 07:45 PM
I do mostly okay with my 512 RAM, but on the large maps (Finnland, Hungary) it can happen to me after 30 or 40 minutes flight time. Not related to track saving for me, just happens in flight - crash to desktop.

It seems related to the amount of things you do during a flight, so yes, TrackIR does make it worser.
Yet simple not saving head position would be a workaround, I hope they fix the main problem.

I know that the team is aware of the error and working on it.

Hope that helped.