PDA

View Full Version : Advice Request: starting out my 8-year old son in IL2

SithSpeeder
06-26-2007, 04:15 PM
Hey all--

My 8 year old son has started getting into this game. Anyone care to share advice/experiences in getting them interested and keeping their interest?

I guess I'm looking for info like did you run co-ops with them, campaigns, did you do active training with them like take-offs, landings, etc.?

His setup is pretty good: TrackIR2, CH Pro rudder pedals, and a Saitek stick. He plays on an older laptop, but it seems to handle the game fairly well. He cannot land or probably take off (with torque effects) yet.

We did a co-op yesterday flying a fighter sweep. I turned on invulnerability and unlimited ammo and tried to cover him, but we eventually got separated.

So basically, he's just learning the ropes.

Thanks for any constructive help (we fly 4.04m over our home network).

* _54th_Speeder *

Dance
06-26-2007, 04:24 PM
When I tried to get my boys interested (8 and 11 at the time), I gave them external view and F6 padlock and if not bombing, unlimited ammo.

Slowly I introduced them to the advanced engine controls and now they fly cockpit only (still with cockpit padlock though) but limited ammo.

If you overload them with technicalities at first they can get bored real quick.

They push themselves, I find, when left to it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

neural_dream
06-26-2007, 04:38 PM
Parents shouldn't actively introduce their kids to their hobbies. Simply practicing them is enough. If they like it they will play it on their own and if not you can't do anything about it. By actively "forcing" the issue you can only achieve the latter.

That having been said, the Ki84c is nice. It's uber and japanese. Kids like both.

crucislancer
06-26-2007, 04:51 PM
It's funny that this came up, my 4 year old daughter sees daddy "fly" sometimes, so every now and they she wants to try it. I'll put her on my lap, give her a plane with arcade settings, and let her go. I have to help her with the joystick sometimes, but she seems to like it. She loves to crash. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Urufu_Shinjiro
06-26-2007, 04:53 PM
My 2 year old always wants to "fly the airplane daddy", "are you going to fly the airplane, daddy?", lol. He to love to crash, he wants to "crash it in the water!" http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Daiichidoku
06-26-2007, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by SithSpeeder:
My 8 year old son has started getting into this game. Anyone care to share advice/experiences in getting them interested and keeping their interest?

get him as close to a real one as you can...take him to a museum

THEN, take him to an airshow, let him hear one at full chat on a flyby!

he will either be hooked for life, or run to momma http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

na85
06-26-2007, 05:08 PM
I remember when I was young, the first time I heard a sonic boom.

They did the classic trick with the F-18: Had him zoom overhead, heading south, and then the announcer pretended to call the pilot over the PA system.

"Frank? Frank where are you buddy?"

Meanwhile the F-18 is circling around out of earshot, and he goes supersonic as he passes over the stands.

Scared the **** out of me... I remember thinking "OMG I hope they don't do that again"

Been hooked on planes ever since http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Airmail109
06-26-2007, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by neural_dream:
Parents shouldn't actively introduce their kids to their hobbies. Simply practicing them is enough. If they like it they will play it on their own and if not you can't do anything about it. By actively "forcing" the issue you can only achieve the latter.

That having been said, the Ki84c is nice. It's uber and japanese. Kids like both.

More parents should be told that

Honest to god lots of parents are total psychos when it it comes to this

SithSpeeder
06-26-2007, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Aimail101:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by neural_dream:

Honest to god lots of parents are total psychos when it it comes to this </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay...whoa-whoa-whoa. I am not forcing anything on anyone. Over the years, he has seen me play and has always had an interest in sitting in my lap, flying, shooting, etc. (when I wasn't online in a serious competition or something). He came to me and asked if we could play together many many times. I finally acceded to his request and got him set-up with my laptop computer and a basic joystick. He was hooked for about a week or more, taking it to TB-3's with his P-40E (sharkmouth) and was loving it all on his own. But that was the time I basically quit my lucrative job and struck out on my own--i.e., no more flying.

Well, I've been keeping an eye out for good deals on gaming hardware and over the last 12 months, got an extra pair of rudder pedals and TrackIR4. When I told him about these acquisitions, he said "Can I use them?" I said "of course, but it would take some setup time". Real Life (tm) kicked in (his school, my company, etc.) and it got backburnered. Right when summer hit and he had time to fly, the hard-disk crashed on the laptop, so I had to take some more time/effort to get it replaced and re-install EVERYTHING. Now I have it back online, and just spent a good part of yesterday re-installing the game, all the drivers for the peripherals, programming software, re-setting up the configuration files, etc. etc. We flew a co-op mission last night and had a blast (air spawn, no landing). He asks ME to play the "airplane game"--no forcing going on.

Furthermore (background), we game together on our Sony PS2. Specifically, we have done Star Wars Battlefront 2 campaigns and Galactic conquests. We love to work as a team. Our latest goal is to get through the entire campaign (at least each mission) without dying once and playing only as a basic class (no Heroes) trooper. He begs me every day to play that with him and try to beat the next level.

Also, I have taken him to airshows at Luke AFB and up in Prescott and he loved it. We've been to a few museums as well and he gets almost as excited as his old man. He even built his own Warthog (snap together model) at age 6 (with requisite sharkmouth).

So, back on topic....(hopefully that's laid to rest).

* _54th_Speeder *

nickdanger3
06-26-2007, 06:39 PM
I can't wait to make that A-10 with my son....had my eye on it for a while. He loves models but he's just too small to make or play with them without carnage.

Since my son's only 4 in a couple weeks, I'll be hitting you up for tips on the next steps.

As it is my son would rather fly without bad guys, put on the smoke and lights, and fire off a never ending supply of rockets, bullets, and bombs.

Airmail109
06-26-2007, 06:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aimail101:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by neural_dream:

Honest to god lots of parents are total psychos when it it comes to this </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay...whoa-whoa-whoa. I am not forcing anything on anyone. Over the years, he has seen me play and has always had an interest in sitting in my lap, flying, shooting, etc. (when I wasn't online in a serious competition or something). He came to me and asked if we could play together many many times. I finally acceded to his request and got him set-up with my laptop computer and a basic joystick. He was hooked for about a week or more, taking it to TB-3's with his P-40E (sharkmouth) and was loving it all on his own. But that was the time I basically quit my lucrative job and struck out on my own--i.e., no more flying.

Well, I've been keeping an eye out for good deals on gaming hardware and over the last 12 months, got an extra pair of rudder pedals and TrackIR4. When I told him about these acquisitions, he said "Can I use them?" I said "of course, but it would take some setup time". Real Life (tm) kicked in (his school, my company, etc.) and it got backburnered. Right when summer hit and he had time to fly, the hard-disk crashed on the laptop, so I had to take some more time/effort to get it replaced and re-install EVERYTHING. Now I have it back online, and just spent a good part of yesterday re-installing the game, all the drivers for the peripherals, programming software, re-setting up the configuration files, etc. etc. We flew a co-op mission last night and had a blast (air spawn, no landing). He asks ME to play the "airplane game"--no forcing going on.

Furthermore (background), we game together on our Sony PS2. Specifically, we have done Star Wars Battlefront 2 campaigns and Galactic conquests. We love to work as a team. Our latest goal is to get through the entire campaign (at least each mission) without dying once and playing only as a basic class (no Heroes) trooper. He begs me every day to play that with him and try to beat the next level.

Also, I have taken him to airshows at Luke AFB and up in Prescott and he loved it. We've been to a few museums as well and he gets almost as excited as his old man. He even built his own Warthog (snap together model) at age 6 (with requisite sharkmouth).

So, back on topic....(hopefully that's laid to rest).

* _54th_Speeder * </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey mate I wasn't talking about you! Dont worry! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif You sound like a great parent! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/touche.gif

I hate misunderstandings

Seriously I wasn't making a swipe at you, I was making a swipe at say the types of parents round my area who for example force their children to get as many grades on a musical instrument to look good....eve if they hate it....have lots of other things going on like exams....and are totally unmusical

BaldieJr
06-26-2007, 06:58 PM
Beat your kids when they crash.

neural_dream
06-26-2007, 06:59 PM
Oh, I wasn't talking about you either !! Sorry if it sounded like that!

zardozid
06-26-2007, 07:02 PM
First I feel like I should say I don't have kids but...

I think I would let the child try the game out at full settings and see how they do...I would tell them everybody has trouble at first adults and kids...Its a difficult game.

If their still interested in learning the game I would set up some missions to slowly teach them the skills. Taking off, landing, ect... Make a game of it "flight school" with daddy...Kids love what you love...if your having a good time teaching them they will love doing it with you. (I might take the difficultly down some at first...).

Nothing hooks someone faster then the feeling of "getting the knack" of a difficult game...its true for adults and children...

Maybe let them beat Daddy when they learn a new skill "wow you took me by surprise their! when did you learn that."

Kids at that age just want to be with you...and to be a part of your world (growing up and all that)

good luck...sounds like fun. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

EiZ0N
06-26-2007, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by BaldieJr:
Beat your kids when they crash.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

Crash_Moses
06-26-2007, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Daiichidoku:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SithSpeeder:

get him as close to a real one as you can...take him to a museum

THEN, take him to an airshow, let him hear one at full chat on a flyby!

he will either be hooked for life, or run to momma http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amen...share the History. I setup a co-op campaign my daughter and I fly on...Teamspeak, the works. I like to give a little history lesson before each mission to put it in context. Not sure if she enjoys that but I sure do!

It's hard to balance the enthusiasm though. I'd hate if she played because she was trying to please me or just get some extra qaulity time with Dad. On the other hand, if I don't encourage her involvement she may think I don't want to fly with her...

I wish we had broadband...then we could fly on-line together (as a bomber afficianado I always seem to short on cover). I think knowing real people are flying the other planes would ramp up the enjoyment for her...it does me.

But my kids share and enjoy all my other hobbies (well...most of 'em) so I'm not to worried.

S!

Taylortony
06-27-2007, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Urufu_Shinjiro:
My 2 year old always wants to "fly the airplane daddy", "are you going to fly the airplane, daddy?", lol. He to love to crash, he wants to "crash it in the water!" http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Like father like son http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

FI-Skipper
06-28-2007, 09:36 AM
Well i'm not a dad as i'm only 18 but I can still fondly remember playing flight sims with my dad over 10 years ago.

I always had an interest in the army ( toy soldiers and stuff) and it was my daad that sort of developed that interest. He showed me the old war films like Battle of Britain and 633 Squadron and the Dam Busters which just made me more interested( Obviously some of these can be a bit violent though so I suppose that siede of things is up to the parents discretion). Obviously it had the benefit that not only was I learning something but I was enjoying it too!

I started out flying next to my dad as "co-pilot" on this old game called "A-10 Silent Thunder"...some of you may remember it...anyway I used to help with the "bomb run" and we'd pretend we were in 633 Squadron bombing fjords and stuff http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

It was always fun and gradually from there I began to fly by myself. I started off on il2 at very easy settings then worked my way up. Just don;t rush things as it takes time...but definately show him some films if you think they're suitable as theres nothing that makes you want to fly more than hearing Goodwin's theme for 633 and wanting to pretend you're bombing rocket factories and that you're Cliff Robertson http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif....ok...maybe i'm just sad http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Best of luck and I hope you both have as much fun as my dad and I did when I was little!

Skipper

Pigeon_
06-28-2007, 03:04 PM
Those movies are a good idea. I remember watching those really old movies and documentaries about WW2 dogfights when I was a little kid and I totally loved them! I think those films eventually got me interested in aviation and WW2. Also, I used to read a lot of Biggles books. Maybe give him one for his next birthday or something?

Oh, and I wouldn't worry too much about the violence in those films. I knew those effects were fake as a little kid back in the early 90's. I think in this 'virual age' kids know even better what's real and what's not.

Hawgdog
06-28-2007, 03:17 PM
My son is 5, going to be 6 in late July.
He has watched me fly since he was born. Lately he has shown an interest and will sit in my lap while I fly. I'm easing him into the game as his interest requests.

However, for months and months now when I watch a WWII movie he will ask "are those guys blue, or red dad?"
I had to explain why team killing is not good.
He thinks Sturmovik is russian for Cooper- no...really http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Insuber
06-28-2007, 03:51 PM
Hey all--

I guess I'm looking for info like did you run co-ops with them, campaigns, did you do active training with them like take-offs, landings, etc.?

His setup is pretty good: TrackIR2, CH Pro rudder pedals, and a Saitek stick. He plays on an older laptop, but it seems to handle the game fairly well. He cannot land or probably take off (with torque effects) yet.

We did a co-op yesterday flying a fighter sweep. I turned on invulnerability and unlimited ammo and tried to cover him, but we eventually got separated.

So basically, he's just learning the ropes.

Thanks for any constructive help (we fly 4.04m over our home network).

* _54th_Speeder *

Hi Speeder,

Good idea! I did the same when my boy was 8 years old and it turned out to be one of the funniest thing we ever did together. We still laugh together (he's 12 now) when we talk about some great moments, which he still recalls perfectly.

What I choose to do was to let him fly online on easy servers, where you likely find other beginners. He usually flew an Hurri IIC, which some patches ago was a deadly machine. I trained him a while before mainly by example. When I let him alone online the first time, when I was back some 45 minutes later he had cumulated some 2'000 pts with basic T&B techniques ... lol, I even saw another guy warning his peers to stay at large from my son because he was "very dangerous". So I told to everyone something like "sorry I was away and my 8 yrs old son took control, I apologize if he messed up ... etc". Reactions worthed the ticket ...

We enjoyed a lot also playing at turns online, shoulder to shoulder, and commenting or advicing each other. I did some nice tricks (sudden barrel rolls with someone on my 6 so to explode him few seconds later) when playing with him at my side, a lot of laughs again.

So my advice is to keep the thing on the fun side and not be too technical, you don't need to, their naturally fast reflexes and Playstation DNA will do the trick.

Have fun,
Insuber

karost
06-28-2007, 05:00 PM
well man... this is a very good topic

dad and son and a favor game ....a wonderful time.

I like to read story you all shared.

Thanks.

S!

Crash_Moses
06-28-2007, 07:59 PM
So I told to everyone something like "sorry I was away and my 8 yrs old son took control, I apologize if he messed up ... etc". Reactions worthed the ticket ...

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

STENKA_69.GIAP
06-29-2007, 05:41 AM
I have trained up several youngsters in our squadron and the good news is that if their attitude and attention span is right then even at 8 years old you can train them up to be fully operational just the same as an adult.

I made no concessions for age - they started training full real, cockpit on limited ammo takeoff and landing compulsory.

For basic flight training we use the pacific Islands map - it is easy to navigate visualy and as training is on-line you can tell others to leave alone the south or north island so that training is not interrupted.

Externals are on for the instructor to watch the student's circuits. If there are problems with landings or a particular monoevre get in a plane with with lights and smoke on then get the student to follow in your wake - they soon get the hang of it.

After that we use structured offline training where the student completes tasks and submits tracks top prove proficiency. This is good as the youngster can get on at their own pace without an adult breathing down their neck - but still show results and get advice where needed.

Click on my badge to access GIAP site and look in the training section - there are training missions to download, you might as well pinch them, everyone else does...

Bad news is that from my experience a family member is the worst to train. My Sister's 13yr old Sprog lasted 15 minutes then gave up because someone started shooting at him....

Baaagh.. total wimp, my brother-in-law must be missing the odd chromasome, well that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Warhammer_II
06-29-2007, 08:41 AM
I have a 5 year old that absolutely adores this game. His big punishment now has gone from going to the corner or getting spanked to no airplane game for the night.

He's not bad, but he is far more interested in looking at the plane. He was so excited the other day because he shot down all the bad guys in a mission. He loves flying the QMB missions and getting the "red stars" at the end of the mission.

His major frustration with the game is when daddy messes the game up and doesn't let him watch his airplane fly (I fly with no external views). His other frustration is taking off. He loves to take off, but doesn't understand how to use the rudder to keep from turning due to the torque of the engine. I've been trying to get him to do a take off routine, which has helped, but he doesn't understand that different planes have different torque characteristics. His landing method is jumping out of his plane whenever he feels like it.

My favorite experience with him in this was when I first got online. Everytime I got hit, he'd tell me to bail out. Then he asked me why I was bailing out so much.