PDA

View Full Version : Completely dissapointed with CH products...

XyZspineZyX
10-22-2003, 05:35 PM
Hi!
Before a couple of days I received the CH Fighterstick and PRO throttle. I used to have the X45 which I wanted to change due to its luck of quality (my stick plastic has broken within 2 months after replacement within guarantee - it was replaced cause its hats where broken too!). And don't say that I'm not using them gently cause I do!
Anyway, I was hearing about how good are the CH products and I ordered them from U.S. and it cost me a big amount of money (inclusive of UPS and custom taxes).

Now and after 2 days of experimenting I can say that they ain't worth half the money an X45 costs.
First of all, its throttle: There is only one HOTAS control, a mini joystick, which you have to program it by means that no one knows so far! In X45 I have 2 rotarry controls plus the mini joystick which is ready to be used as mouse with the latest Saitek drivers. So, while I used to have trim and elevator controls on my throttle if I use the CH PRO I have to use hats which move not as smooth and accurate as a HOTAS control. About the mini joystick I don't even want to talk about it cause if anyone can make it a mini mouse, he must take the Nobel prize!
Now, let's go to the CH Fighterstick. The ONLY good thing that it has is that its move is very smooth and I realy liked this. BUT let's go to its cons: a) They have the POV 8-way hat on the top of the stick where even I (who have big fingers) find it VERY difficult to use it. b) There are some cheap hotas rotarries on the base of the stick which are completely useless if someone has a throttle and only 2 hands. c) The fire button is SO big that I have to extend my finger so much that I get tired within 5 minutes! LOL
d) Nothing is ready to use, as it is on X45. Let's say that you want to program the 8-way hat for POV (if you have huge fingers). Just try to input the diagonal views: it will take more than half an hour to make it! Me and 2 other people were trying for more than half an hour because you can't press the diagonal way with going through the up/down/left/right ways before and which lead you to be unable to program them. Only after many-many tries you will luckily make it.

And last but not least this CH control manager! How amazing it is! So far, no one knows how to handle it and mostly activate a map! A good fellow told me that my win98se are reading the CH fighterstick as a stick only and that's the reason, cause if I wanted to program it through the control manager it should be read as CH control manager device (or something like that). But how do you do this still no one knows! I uninstalled and installed several times the fighterstick, I used all my USB ports and still it's been read as CH fighterstick and I can't enable any map...
I don't wanna continue the CH control manager talk cause I may curse at this moment.

Anyway, I only write these cause most probably I will throw to the garbage the whole package and I want some people to know that things may not be as they think when they order a new device...

Just my 2 drachmas.

P.S.1 I'm so nervous that I may break it with a hammer and then burn it.
P.S.2 I will continue to fly with my half-broken X45. It's still better and most handy.
P.S.3 I'm not someone unknown to the HL, so I don't write these as a Saitek or whomever else "spy" who wants to produce a bad name to CH.

XyZspineZyX
10-22-2003, 05:35 PM
Hi!
Before a couple of days I received the CH Fighterstick and PRO throttle. I used to have the X45 which I wanted to change due to its luck of quality (my stick plastic has broken within 2 months after replacement within guarantee - it was replaced cause its hats where broken too!). And don't say that I'm not using them gently cause I do!
Anyway, I was hearing about how good are the CH products and I ordered them from U.S. and it cost me a big amount of money (inclusive of UPS and custom taxes).

Now and after 2 days of experimenting I can say that they ain't worth half the money an X45 costs.
First of all, its throttle: There is only one HOTAS control, a mini joystick, which you have to program it by means that no one knows so far! In X45 I have 2 rotarry controls plus the mini joystick which is ready to be used as mouse with the latest Saitek drivers. So, while I used to have trim and elevator controls on my throttle if I use the CH PRO I have to use hats which move not as smooth and accurate as a HOTAS control. About the mini joystick I don't even want to talk about it cause if anyone can make it a mini mouse, he must take the Nobel prize!
Now, let's go to the CH Fighterstick. The ONLY good thing that it has is that its move is very smooth and I realy liked this. BUT let's go to its cons: a) They have the POV 8-way hat on the top of the stick where even I (who have big fingers) find it VERY difficult to use it. b) There are some cheap hotas rotarries on the base of the stick which are completely useless if someone has a throttle and only 2 hands. c) The fire button is SO big that I have to extend my finger so much that I get tired within 5 minutes! LOL
d) Nothing is ready to use, as it is on X45. Let's say that you want to program the 8-way hat for POV (if you have huge fingers). Just try to input the diagonal views: it will take more than half an hour to make it! Me and 2 other people were trying for more than half an hour because you can't press the diagonal way with going through the up/down/left/right ways before and which lead you to be unable to program them. Only after many-many tries you will luckily make it.

And last but not least this CH control manager! How amazing it is! So far, no one knows how to handle it and mostly activate a map! A good fellow told me that my win98se are reading the CH fighterstick as a stick only and that's the reason, cause if I wanted to program it through the control manager it should be read as CH control manager device (or something like that). But how do you do this still no one knows! I uninstalled and installed several times the fighterstick, I used all my USB ports and still it's been read as CH fighterstick and I can't enable any map...
I don't wanna continue the CH control manager talk cause I may curse at this moment.

Anyway, I only write these cause most probably I will throw to the garbage the whole package and I want some people to know that things may not be as they think when they order a new device...

Just my 2 drachmas.

P.S.1 I'm so nervous that I may break it with a hammer and then burn it.
P.S.2 I will continue to fly with my half-broken X45. It's still better and most handy.
P.S.3 I'm not someone unknown to the HL, so I don't write these as a Saitek or whomever else "spy" who wants to produce a bad name to CH.

XyZspineZyX
10-22-2003, 05:43 PM
gak!

don't throw it away!

send it to me,

I'll pay the postage!

or better yet ...

donate it to a youth hostel

orphanage or school.

Falcon

http://www.endlager.net/fis/pix/banners/fis_banner_09.gif

XyZspineZyX
10-22-2003, 05:47 PM
A friend of mine came by and tried out my setup.
I have the X45 with CH pro pedals.
He seemed very impressed with it.

I e-mailed him purchase links for the
TM Cougar
CH fighter stick and throttle.
Also a link for the X45.

He ordered/bought the CH Fighter stick and Pro Throttle setup.

He returned them the next day, and went out and bought a
X45.

XyZspineZyX
10-22-2003, 05:58 PM
I have the CH throttle and absolutely love it. Yes, it's a bit tricky to program at first but like anything that's not AOL you may have to RTFM. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

The mini mouse is useless to me since I have TIR but I tried it anyway just to check it out but it refreshes way too slowly to even come close to a TIR. All it does is repeat input movements in increments like keyboard emulation so don't expect too much although there are a some who use it well and swear by it. Do a search on the forum and you'll find instructions on setting it up.

I can't comment on the stick because I use a MSFFB2 which makes the most sense for my setup and has the best FFB effects. Why go with a normal HOTAS stick when you have everything you need on the throttle, especially with one button set up as a shift, and the FFB gives you the extra "feel" to tell you when you're going to stall?

<center>http://mywebpage.netscape.com/nyngje/charvel.JPG

XyZspineZyX
10-22-2003, 06:01 PM
Hmm.. I have CH f16 combat stick + Pro throttle (game port versions).. I bought these in year 92 and still they work as new.. I absolutely love it, and I beleive CH products are the most long lasting peace of sticks.. from father to son .. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif Only negative I can think is, that i can only press one button at time.. but USB-versions should not have this problem..

<center>http://koti.mbnet.fi/vipez/sig3.jpg </center>

XyZspineZyX
10-22-2003, 06:11 PM
Though your opinion is your own, I was lucky enough to upgrade from Combat stick only to throttle, stick and pedals (CH, USB), and personally I love them.

To map the the 'mini stick' on the throttle as mouse, open ChControlManager, move the 'mini stick' left or right (to select it's XAxis), make sure it is in DirectX mode (checked), select MOUSE from the DX Device drop down list, and X-axis in the DX Axis drop down list. Repeat for Y-axis (by moving 'mini-stick' up down', setting DX Device to MOUSE, DX Axis to Y-Axis).

And I suppose I will claim the Nobel Prize award (though I am skeptical that you are the chairman of the Nobel Prize Committee). You may deposit the $1,000,000 reward directly to a bank in Zurich, in my name, if you please, and thank you, and the whole Nobel Prize organization.

As for the rest of your comoplaints, I'm quite sure they are also addressable through the CHControlManager, using Modes, and/or the CMS Controls. I am less familiar with adjusting these things, so hopefully someone else can help you their.

XyZspineZyX
10-22-2003, 06:15 PM
Hey It will take you a while to get used to it Call ch-products they have an 800 Number.

They can help you program the Mouse its real easy, Id explain it but I dont have the time or patients LOL.

You should have looked @ the Throttle closer before you bought it you can see there is no rotary Knobs they even tell yopu exzactaly whats on it in the description.

If you want thoes Knobs your gona have to get the Cougar or an older thrustmaster Hotas.

Good Luck & give it a chance I switched from x45 about 4 years ago I didnt like the Ch @ first either but they grow on you......

Especialy since they last forever /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif not like x45 breaks every 3 months /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

<CENTER> http://www.onpoi.net/ah/pics/users/ah_109_1065290873.jpg </center>

XyZspineZyX
10-22-2003, 06:19 PM
I've got the pedals and throttle set up. The only problem I've had has been not to be able map the toe brakes with FB to the CH pedals. I do not use the Manager at all, but do all my programming in-game.

Z

http://sc.groups.msn.com/tn/83/C1/BeowolffsRoninLair/5/49.jpg

XyZspineZyX
10-22-2003, 06:31 PM
I LOVE MY CH HOTAS.

Mini joystick works great for me as a mouse. Use the directions above for setting to mouse mode in both axis, and you can also set it's sensitivity to taste. Learn the CH Control Manager using the help manual built into the program that walks you through setting it up very easily if you can read. You can set all three devices into one virtual device that games can see as an 8 axis 32 button joystick, or you can also change any button into a keyboard command or string of commands. For those who know a little bit about coding you can make the stick do very advanced functions using the CMS coding script.

The CH HOTAS works well, is smooth as glass, and has the best long term reliability of any joystick made. Any time you hear about the Cougar you will hear about how it constantly needs to have the pots rebuilt and how the gimbals are sticky. I have tried the Saitek and it is a good stick for what you pay for it, especially if you buy it refurbished from the Saitek website for $40 bux, but the rudder paddle is useless and the general feel/quality is not up to CH standards. Also the Saitek drivers run resident in your memory which I do no like, on the CH Products you download the control map you create into your joystick which then tells the Windows OS directly what commands it is executing as a normal USB device.

http://taipans.dyndns.org/
http://mysite.verizon.net/pmcgwire/IL2/
http://mysite.verizon.net/pmcgwire/tpn_sneakypete.jpg

Buzz_25th
10-22-2003, 06:35 PM
Dolphin,

Your the first guy who hasn't liked the CH products. Is this your first post on this forum? Did you ask for help here, or is it more fun to come here and whine?

The mini-stick is a no brainer to program as a mouse control. Did you ask for any help besides your lame friends?

In case you missed it. There is a hat switch on the throttle that's very easy to reach. You don't need to use the one on the joystick. Did you think of that?

The red button is hard to reack on the joystick. So I use it for something I don't ever want to hit by accident. I use it for bail out. Ever think of that? You have plenty of buttons to use for guns that are very easy to reach.

If you had asked, I would have given you my map, and it all would have worked for you. Ever think of that?

As you can see. You pi$$ed me off. Instead of asking for help. You come here to rag on a good product. I wouldn't help you now if you paid me. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
25th_Buzz
<center>
http://www.vfa25.com/sigs/buzz.jpg

Message Edited on 10/22/0310:37AM by Buzz_25th

Hawgdog
10-22-2003, 06:37 PM
Dont know anything but the CH pro pedals I have, work great.
Cured the carpal tunnel headaches for me. plug and play

the console looks neet

<center></script>When you get to hell, tell 'em HawgDog sent you!
http://users.zoominternet.net/~cgatewood/assets/images/sharkdog.gif

http://www.handguncontrolinc.org/_derived/default.htm_txt_bt_green_rec2_3.gif

XyZspineZyX
10-22-2003, 07:09 PM
Buzz,

First of all you have to understand me cause I have paid more than 330 Euros and I have something that doesn't work well.

Regarding if I asked any help or not be asure that I've been asking for 2 days within the HL and no one replied besides a guy who didn't know anything about the CH manager.

Regarding the CH manager still I have not seen how to enable a map that I have made.

No one knows?

How will I look into the CH manager abilities if I can't use the map I'm making?

Anyway, maybe sometime I'll find a way to make it since I can't rely on X45 for ever. As someone said. They break every 2-3 months...

XyZspineZyX
10-22-2003, 07:12 PM
I also have the Pro throttle and love it. Programming the mini-stick was as hard as going intot the config software, clicking on the picture of the mini-stick and selecting "Mouse" as the emulation object.

I now have Modes 1 and 2 setup for configurations for flying either the Il2/Stuka or the He111/TB-3. Mode 3 is coded for FS2004....and that's all in one map. ;-)

XyZspineZyX
10-22-2003, 07:17 PM
ZekeMan wrote:
- I've got the pedals and throttle set up. The only
- problem I've had has been not to be able map the toe
- brakes with FB to the CH pedals. I do not use the
- Manager at all, but do all my programming in-game.
-
- Z
-

That's odd, I don't use manager either, but I had no problem mapping the toe brakes to my USB CH pedals. Two things:

1. Are you trying to map "wheel brakes" under the normal controls section, or the HOTAS section at the bottom. You must map "brakes" under the HOTAS section.

2. You can map either the right pedal or the left pedal, but you cannot map both. I just use my right pedal for toe braking.

--AKD

http://www.flyingpug.com/pugline2.jpg

XyZspineZyX
10-22-2003, 07:19 PM
HFC_Dolphin wrote:
- which you have to program
- it by means that no one knows so far!

No one? Guess that half the people in this forum don't count as a "one" then.

- anyone can make
- it a mini mouse, he must take the Nobel prize!

Again, Half of us here will be stunned to find out that we have one the Nobel prize for simple HOTAS programming

- no one knows how to handle it and mostly activate a map

There is that "no one" again.....

http://home.austin.rr.com/jasandtrace/images/troll2.jpg

Next time ask for help instead of whine.

http://home.austin.rr.com/jasandtrace/images/sig.jpg

XyZspineZyX
10-22-2003, 07:28 PM
CH HOTAS is better than cougar in WWII sim thou Jet sim is another matter because of a lot of button programming.

At least much better than X-45 set. /i/smilies/16x16_robot-wink.gif

<br/i/smilies/16x16_robot-mad.gif ================================

<font size = 1/i/smilies/16x16_robot-mad.gif 815=Squadron in South Korea
http://cafe.daum.net/il2sturmovik
</font>

XyZspineZyX
10-22-2003, 07:30 PM
I think he's Saitek marketer. /i/smilies/16x16_robot-very-happy.gif

<br/i/smilies/16x16_robot-mad.gif ================================

<font size = 1/i/smilies/16x16_robot-mad.gif 815=Squadron in South Korea
http://cafe.daum.net/il2sturmovik
</font>

XyZspineZyX
10-22-2003, 07:31 PM
A.K.Davis wrote:
-
- ZekeMan wrote:
-- I've got the pedals and throttle set up. The only
-- problem I've had has been not to be able map the toe
-- brakes with FB to the CH pedals. I do not use the
-- Manager at all, but do all my programming in-game.
--
-- Z
--
-
- That's odd, I don't use manager either, but I had no
- problem mapping the toe brakes to my USB CH pedals.
- Two things:
-
- 1. Are you trying to map "wheel brakes" under the
- normal controls section, or the HOTAS section at the
- bottom. You must map "brakes" under the HOTAS
- section.
-
- 2. You can map either the right pedal or the left
- pedal, but you cannot map both. I just use my right
- pedal for toe braking.
-
---AKD

Yep, I do the mapping in HOTAS. Haven't been able to do both brakes, or left or right. With IL-2 I was able to map them with no problem.

Z

http://sc.groups.msn.com/tn/83/C1/BeowolffsRoninLair/5/49.jpg

XyZspineZyX
10-22-2003, 07:41 PM
I have never tried the Saitek, because ever since my first CH flightstick, to my CH serial combatstick and ch pedals to my usb CH Fighterstick and CH pro-pedals, I have never needed to try any other brand. They have repaired my broken combatsticks on 2 ocassions for just the cost of shipping. I did once try the TM F-22 but it was way to stiff for me. I have even used my CH combatsticks for hours of grueling FPS use,from Duke 3d to Half-life I wore the buttons out, but it took a year or more. My 2 cents

XyZspineZyX
10-22-2003, 07:41 PM
CH Products
970 Park Center Dr.
Vista, CA 92081
TEL 760-598-2518
Office Hours:
Pacific Time
Monday - Friday
8:00 am - 4:30 pm

Tech Support Hours:
Pacific Time
8:00 am - 4:00 pm

Just Call them they have all the answers Dolphin.

Trust me they trained me how to make a map in 5 min & more!

XyZspineZyX
10-22-2003, 07:47 PM
http://www.chproducts.com/fom/cache/1.html

Buzz_25th
10-22-2003, 08:05 PM
Dolphin,

You mean no one that you asked. Why didn't you come here? there is a tech forum for this, although these questiond have been asked and answered on this forum plenty of times.

I'll admit the Control manager can be tricky at first, but trust me. it does work fine.

If you would like to try my map just PM me your address, and i'll send it to you. The mouse will work on the mini stick. You may not like my button layout but it's easy to change. You'llhave to assign the hat switch to views too, because I use TrackIR, and have assigned other things on the hat switches. If nothing else you can look at my map to see how I assigned the mouse on the mini stick, and them make your own map.

Just stop saying no one knows and it's a crap product. You can see by this thread that everybody likes it, and has no problem making a map.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
25th_Buzz
<center>

XyZspineZyX
10-22-2003, 08:09 PM
No no! Donate it to meeee! ;D

Actually I have the Fighterstick & the Pro-pedals and a big warm glow from owning them! The combo is so well built that I would....a) never change it, and b) probably never need to....
I owned an X45 for quite a while, waiting months for Saitek to finish the drivers for WinXP , but I got tired waiting and did what I shoulda done many years ago, bought CH!
What a relief!
From Microsoft certified drivers and software that really, yes really, works - to really strongly built, very functional hardware - this is really good kit, Dolphin. Try asking some sensible questions instead of crying like a two-year-old, then you'd get a lot of good advice both here and from the very helpful support team at CH.

Brando

Stuff the fugitive....here comes the one-armed man!!

XyZspineZyX
10-22-2003, 08:32 PM
I Love my MSFFB/X45/CH ProUSB Pedal setup. That's why I bought the X45. I couldnt see spending that kind of money for a throttle alone. I got my X45 on sale for $49..my rebate is long gone and I am happy with the stick.

<CENTER>http://www.world-wide-net.com/tuskegeeairmen/ta-1943.jpg <marquee><FONT COLOR="RED"><FONT SIZE="+1">"Straighten up.......Fly right..~S~"<FONT SIZE> </marquee> http://www.geocities.com/rt_bearcat

<CENTER><FONT COLOR="ORANGE">vflyer@comcast.net<FONT COLOR>
<Center><div style="width:200;color:red;font-size:18pt;filter:shadow Blur[color=red,strength=8)">99th Pursuit Squadron

XyZspineZyX
10-22-2003, 08:34 PM
/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif You have Saitek marketing written al over you!

/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif You must be a Saitek markering employee!

By the way where did you pay 330 euro for your fabulous
CH HOTAS set mine was far more expensive over here in Europe.

Flight Sims Forever!
http://home.planet.nl/~elzer033/images/dutch-bf109.jpg

XyZspineZyX
10-22-2003, 08:43 PM
Finally you have to whine to get some answers /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

The most important problems to me were answered one here (about the mini joystick to mouse) and the other at HL (about the map enable). So far I could not figure out (and didn't find it on the help of control manager...) that you activate the mapping by pressing DOWNLOAD (usually you don't "download" mappings but "enable" or "activate"...).
I've been trying to find this for 2 days and no one (I repeat) in the HL could tell me!!!
Maybe you weren't there but still almost all of the replies were "I don't use the CH Control manager". Isn't this amazing?
Now that I found out this small but so important detail I will experiment and BE ABLE TO SEE what I'm doing cause so far I couldn't!!!

Regarding the mini-mouse it's still not that good as X45's (cause it's not moving smooth as already someone said before in this thread) but it will do the work.

And because someone said that I'm a Saitek marketer (LOL) I repeat that I'm not satisfied at all by Saitek's quality and that's why I changed to CH, cause everybody said to me that they don't break at all.

Still, I have to exploit its uses and find out how to make it fit on my hands.

Thank you all for your help and sorry about the whinning but this way I got some replies faster than in 2 days of asking around.

XyZspineZyX
10-22-2003, 08:47 PM
You squeeky wheel!! /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

<CENTER>http://www.world-wide-net.com/tuskegeeairmen/ta-1943.jpg <marquee><FONT COLOR="RED"><FONT SIZE="+1">"Straighten up.......Fly right..~S~"<FONT SIZE> </marquee> http://www.geocities.com/rt_bearcat

<Center><div style="width:200;color:red;font-size:18pt;filter:shadow Blur[color=red,strength=8)">99th Pursuit Squadron

XyZspineZyX
10-22-2003, 08:50 PM
Dutch60 wrote:
- You have Saitek
- marketing written al over you!
-
- You must be a Saitek
- markering employee!
-
- By the way where did you pay 330 euro for your
- fabulous
- CH HOTAS set mine was far more expensive over here
- in Europe.
-

Well, I already replied about the Saitek thing. And it's so ridiculous cause I came here with the name that you see me in the HL at least 2-3 hours every day...

I found a very good deal as following from the "Flight Sim Central":
CH Pro throttle+Fighterstick (both USB) and inclusive of 2 days delivery by UPS at approx. $300 (which is approx. 270 Euros). Then I paid approx. 60 Euros to customs and the final is at approx. 330 Euros.
When I checked at European online stores I couldn't find this combo on less than 350 Euros+courrier costs, so I decided to buy from U.S.

You lucky U.S. citizens...

XyZspineZyX
10-22-2003, 09:06 PM
I can only say I am sorry you don't like them.

I switched to a ch stick and throttle with simpeds after a long and ugly experience with my cougar.
They feel very different from a cougar or X45.
I have quickly adjusted to the ch setup and i like it very much. If you check out the forums you will find very little negative to be said about Ch products.
They are very well known to be long lasting and go for years where other products go for only months.

I also know that there customer support is very good alot like thrustmasters used to be before they were bought by
guillemont.

Stinger

XyZspineZyX
10-22-2003, 10:48 PM
HFC_Dolphin wrote:
- Finally you have to whine to get some answers

What are you talking about?! Buzz already told you would help if you just ask, but you never asked!!!

Dude. what is your malfunction?

XyZspineZyX
10-22-2003, 10:49 PM
HFC_Dolphin wrote:
-
- Dutch60 wrote:
-- You have Saitek
-- marketing written al over you!
--
-- You must be a Saitek
-- markering employee!
--
-- By the way where did you pay 330 euro for your
-- fabulous
-- CH HOTAS set mine was far more expensive over here
-- in Europe.
--
-
- Well, I already replied about the Saitek thing. And
- it's so ridiculous cause I came here with the name
- that you see me in the HL at least 2-3 hours every
- day...
-
- I found a very good deal as following from the
- "Flight Sim Central":
- CH Pro throttle+Fighterstick (both USB) and
- inclusive of 2 days delivery by UPS at approx. $300
- (which is approx. 270 Euros). Then I paid approx. 60
- Euros to customs and the final is at approx. 330
- Euros.
- When I checked at European online stores I couldn't
- find this combo on less than 350 Euros+courrier
- costs, so I decided to buy from U.S.
-
- You lucky U.S. citizens...
-
-

http://home.austin.rr.com/jasandtrace/images/grenade.jpg

XyZspineZyX
10-23-2003, 12:09 AM
The CH Pro Throttle is not perfect, but as a solitary throttle that you can buy it's the best. Don't push in the thumbstick to change modes, it's too fragile for that. If you have to, use the tips of 3 fingers around it's head to laterally support it. Don't even worry about setting it up as a mouse, it refreshes too slow for mouse view (that doesn't make you throw up). Instead, set it up in non-directX positional mode to change prop pitch and mix (keyboard assigned prop pitch and mix increase and decrease, with 4 NULLS in the middle to accentuate your thumbs natural flicking motion)

As far as your joystick, you should have got a MSFFB2. It's the year 2003 (almost 2004) and there is no excuse anymore for not having a FFB stick. Personally, I am thinking about picking up a couple spare FFB2's because in the future they will be rares and unavailable. Could probably fetch a tidy sum on ebay.

"The Force is strong with this one." -What an ace said of RayBanJockey during a fight when he was still a newbie.
<a href=http://www.theinformationminister.com/press.php?ID=612109283>news update</a>

XyZspineZyX
10-23-2003, 12:24 AM
I already have my spare...the one i bought wo years ago is still good and my 6 year old son uses it. Mine is new..(relatively..my old spare).

XyZspineZyX
10-23-2003, 12:30 AM
I am going to buy 1 or 2 more MSFFB2's and see if they work ok, then put them in the closet for up to a few years. They're that good. Too bad the buttons wear out because it really is a good stick (would use even MORE buttons though)

The way I look at it you've got MSFFB2, Cougar, and a bunch of cheap plastic sticks that look like they are from the 80's on the market right now. Subtract MSFFB2 and you are left with a $300 metal stick with no Force Feedback and potentiometer problems....Not a good consumer market in the future unless someone really steps up too the plate (FFB Cougar, maybe?)

"The Force is strong with this one." -What an ace said of RayBanJockey during a fight when he was still a newbie.
<a href=http://www.theinformationminister.com/press.php?ID=612109283>news update</a>

Buzz_25th
10-23-2003, 12:38 AM
It shows how good they are if you need to buy all those spares. The worst i'd have to do is replace my CH pots in a few years.

25th_Buzz
<center>

XyZspineZyX
10-23-2003, 01:15 AM
All will be revealed here:

http://chmaps-spidey.freeservers.com/maps.html

XyZspineZyX
10-23-2003, 01:45 AM
Buzz_25th wrote:
- Dolphin,
-
- Your the first guy who hasn't liked the CH
- products. Is this your first post on this forum? Did
- you ask for help here, or is it more fun to come
- here and whine?
-
-
- The mini-stick is a no brainer to program as a
- mouse control. Did you ask for any help besides your
- lame friends?
-
-
- In case you missed it. There is a hat switch on the
- throttle that's very easy to reach. You don't need
- to use the one on the joystick. Did you think of
- that?
-
-
- The red button is hard to reack on the joystick. So
- I use it for something I don't ever want to hit by
- accident. I use it for bail out. Ever think of that?
- You have plenty of buttons to use for guns that are
- very easy to reach.
-
- If you had asked, I would have given you my map, and
- it all would have worked for you. Ever think of
- that?
-
- As you can see. You pi$$ed me off. Instead of asking
- for help. You come here to rag on a good product. I
- wouldn't help you now if you paid me.

Having a bad day are we?

Relax Buzz, the guy is just frustrated.

I would be too if I bought a quality product and it didn't live up to my expectations. Instead of flaming him, help him. I know you're knowledgeable, can't we all get along?

I've been flamed a bit for some of my questions but then the flamer would turn around and give me some help. I really appreciated the help and learned from my mistakes so that the next time I asked for help I had tried the obvious first.

Take a break then give him a break, OK?

<center>Beebop-ProudBirds-VFW<center>http://www.uploadit.org/files/230903-Beebop%20Sig.jpg

Buzz_25th
10-23-2003, 01:52 AM
I offered him my map. Isn't that helping? I just don't like seeing CH get a bad rap because he didn't come here to ask for help. Why he thought HL was the place for help is beyond me.

25th_Buzz
<center>

XyZspineZyX
10-23-2003, 01:53 AM
RayBanJockey wrote:
...If you have to, use the tips
- of 3 fingers around it's head to laterally support
- it...

The voice of experience? /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

<center>Beebop-ProudBirds-VFW<center>http://www.uploadit.org/files/230903-Beebop%20Sig.jpg

XyZspineZyX
10-23-2003, 02:01 AM
HFC_Dolphin wrote:
- Now and after 2 days of experimenting I can say that
- they ain't worth half the money an X45 costs.
- First of all, its throttle: There is only one HOTAS
- control, a mini joystick, which you have to program
- it by means that no one knows so far! In X45 I have
- 2 rotarry controls plus the mini joystick which is
- ready to be used as mouse with the latest Saitek
- drivers. So, while I used to have trim and elevator
- controls on my throttle if I use the CH PRO I have
- to use hats which move not as smooth and accurate as
- a HOTAS control. About the mini joystick I don't
- even want to talk about it cause if anyone can make

Well, I'm sure you had access to the list of features on the CH Pro Throttle when you bought it, so its not like the lack of rotaries should have been a surprise. The mousestick question has been answered.

- Now, let's go to the CH Fighterstick. The ONLY good
- thing that it has is that its move is very smooth
- and I realy liked this. BUT let's go to its cons: a)
- They have the POV 8-way hat on the top of the stick
- where even I (who have big fingers) find it VERY
- difficult to use it. b) There are some cheap hotas
- rotarries on the base of the stick which are
- completely useless if someone has a throttle and
- only 2 hands. c) The fire button is SO big that I
- have to extend my finger so much that I get tired
- within 5 minutes! LOL
- d) Nothing is ready to use, as it is on X45. Let's
- say that you want to program the 8-way hat for POV
- (if you have huge fingers). Just try to input the
- diagonal views: it will take more than half an hour
- to make it! Me and 2 other people were trying for
- more than half an hour because you can't press the
- diagonal way with going through the
- up/down/left/right ways before and which lead you to
- be unable to program them. Only after many-many
- tries you will luckily make it.

The throttle wheel on the Fighterstick makes a great elevator trim knob. You might have to mess with the deadzone and sensitivity to get it to work to your liking. I'll agree with you about the general size issues. When people are asking for recommendations, I generally advise them to try to find a set they can actually put their hands on before buying one. People with relatively large hands don't have to worry, but those who don't should try before they buy. You shouldn't have to program the POV hat, as long as the Fighterstick was recognized as controller ID 1. By the way, the knobs on the bottom and right side of the Fighterstick are physical trim knobs, not separate controller axes. They rotate the mountings of the pots to allow you to manually trim the stick if you so choose.

- And last but not least this CH control manager! How
- amazing it is! So far, no one knows how to handle it
- and mostly activate a map! A good fellow told me
- that my win98se are reading the CH fighterstick as a
- stick only and that's the reason, cause if I wanted
- to program it through the control manager it should
- be read as CH control manager device (or something
- like that). But how do you do this still no one
- knows! I uninstalled and installed several times the
- fighterstick, I used all my USB ports and still it's
- been read as CH fighterstick and I can't enable any
- map...
- I don't wanna continue the CH control manager talk
- cause I may curse at this moment.

Looks like you've resolved this. While Control Manager isn't a perfectly intuitive piece of software, I can't imagine how even a cursory glance through the help or manual wouldn't have turned up the procedure for uploading a map to the controller. Heck, pressing the help toolbar button key and clicking on the buttons should have gotten you this far.

- Anyway, I only write these cause most probably I
- will throw to the garbage the whole package and I
- want some people to know that things may not be as
- they think when they order a new device...
-
- Just my 2 drachmas.
-
- P.S.1 I'm so nervous that I may break it with a
- hammer and then burn it.
- P.S.2 I will continue to fly with my half-broken
- X45. It's still better and most handy.
- P.S.3 I'm not someone unknown to the HL, so I don't
- write these as a Saitek or whomever else "spy" who
- wants to produce a bad name to CH.

Lastly, you would have done far better to post in the Tech Support forum than to ask in HyperLobby about it. IMHO people go to HyperLobby to play, not to render tech support.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"When my brother and I built and flew the first man-carrying flying machine, we thought that we were introducing into the world an invention which would make further wars impossible..."

Orville Wright, 1917

XyZspineZyX
10-23-2003, 02:02 AM
HFC_Dolphin wrote:
- Now and after 2 days of experimenting I can say that
- they ain't worth half the money an X45 costs.
- First of all, its throttle: There is only one HOTAS
- control, a mini joystick, which you have to program
- it by means that no one knows so far! In X45 I have
- 2 rotarry controls plus the mini joystick which is
- ready to be used as mouse with the latest Saitek
- drivers. So, while I used to have trim and elevator
- controls on my throttle if I use the CH PRO I have
- to use hats which move not as smooth and accurate as
- a HOTAS control. About the mini joystick I don't
- even want to talk about it cause if anyone can make

I use my min js, just get the latest ch control manager. Its simple to use.

- Now, let's go to the CH Fighterstick. The ONLY good
- thing that it has is that its move is very smooth
- and I realy liked this. BUT let's go to its cons: a)
- They have the POV 8-way hat on the top of the stick
- where even I (who have big fingers) find it VERY
- difficult to use it. b) There are some cheap hotas
- rotarries on the base of the stick which are
- completely useless if someone has a throttle and
- only 2 hands. c) The fire button is SO big that I
- have to extend my finger so much that I get tired
- within 5 minutes! LOL

If you have the ch pro throttle just use the 8 way hat switch on it for snap views and the mini stck for pan views.

- d) Nothing is ready to use, as it is on X45. Let's
- say that you want to program the 8-way hat for POV
- (if you have huge fingers). Just try to input the
- diagonal views: it will take more than half an hour
- to make it! Me and 2 other people were trying for
- more than half an hour because you can't press the
- diagonal way with going through the
- up/down/left/right ways before and which lead you to
- be unable to program them. Only after many-many
- tries you will luckily make it.

It took me all of 2 sec to map my hat views but if you are having trouble just download one of the many ch maps already out there

- And last but not least this CH control manager! How
- amazing it is! So far, no one knows how to handle it
- and mostly activate a map! A good fellow told me
- that my win98se are reading the CH fighterstick as a
- stick only and that's the reason, cause if I wanted
- to program it through the control manager it should
- be read as CH control manager device (or something
- like that). But how do you do this still no one
- knows! I uninstalled and installed several times the
- fighterstick, I used all my USB ports and still it's
- been read as CH fighterstick and I can't enable any
- map...
- I don't wanna continue the CH control manager talk
- cause I may curse at this moment.

Who are you referring to in no one knows how to use the cm manager? It took all of 5 min to make a map. Start the cm manager, open the correct map and then download. Then close the cm manager and thats it. Its loaded.You can dl from ch site a proggy that automatically loads your last map every time you boot up if you want. This is good if you play 1 game but I dont use it.

The newer ch mangers are great imho and allow as much flexible in programming and scripting as the cougar.

- Anyway, I only write these cause most probably I
- will throw to the garbage the whole package and I
- want some people to know that things may not be as
- they think when they order a new device...
-
- Just my 2 drachmas.
-
- P.S.1 I'm so nervous that I may break it with a
- hammer and then burn it.
- P.S.2 I will continue to fly with my half-broken
- X45. It's still better and most handy.
- P.S.3 I'm not someone unknown to the HL, so I don't
- write these as a Saitek or whomever else "spy" who
- wants to produce a bad name to CH.

I am sure some one will help you. Theres no need to freak. Once you see how easy it all is I am sure you will love it.

Good luck

XyZspineZyX
10-23-2003, 03:18 AM
Beebop-PBNA wrote:
- Having a bad day are we?

No absolutely not. It is annoying to me also that this guy can't take an hour or two out of his precious game playing (As I, Buzz, and a lot of other CH users here) and read the Read me files and instructions for the CH HOTAS, nor could he come here and simply say "Please Help. I'm lost."

No, he comes in here all lathered-up because he and his friends can't figure out(or didn't try to figure out) the CH HOTAS set and threw his little temper tantrum about it how much "CH suck".

It is everybit as annoying when someone trolls in and says "L0-Mac sucks because I can't get fire the gun!" or "Lo-Mac suck because I can't get it to un-pause"

-
- Relax Buzz, the guy is just frustrated.
-
-
-
- Take a break then give him a break, OK?
-
-
- I would be too if I bought a quality product and it
- didn't live up to my expectations.

Again, all he had to do was ask first instead of shoot first. I know the search feature on the forum is not very funchional but all one has to do is ask.

XyZspineZyX
10-23-2003, 03:22 AM
It is everybit as annoying when someone trolls in and says "L0-Mac sucks because I can't get fire the gun!" or "Lo-Mac suck because I can't get it to un-pause"

Crap! wrong forum for that example!

Pardon me all!

XyZspineZyX
10-23-2003, 03:28 AM
I do pretty good at this game, better than average online and off. I like to think it's my skill, but I know it's my rig.

I have a simple MS sidewinder presision pro. Never had a problem with it, And i'll bet I can shot you down with your Fancy $400 rig.

http://home.comcast.net/~ick_352nd/

http://home.comcast.net/~ick_352nd/icarus-sig.jpg

XyZspineZyX
10-23-2003, 03:39 AM
I found the Saitek much more complicated to program

CH products rule the virtual skies . its all the best pilots use.

I suggest you do a bit more homework on the programming side of things

http://panthers.kicks-***.net/sigs/sigpic169_1.jpg (http://panthers.kicks-***.net)
Play Hard - Play Fair
Commander Ice
169th Panthers

Buzz_25th
10-23-2003, 03:54 AM
Ick_352nd

I'll bet your very young.

25th_Buzz
<center>

adlabs6
10-23-2003, 04:10 AM
The reviews of the CH products have impressed me a good deal. My wallet is getting drawn to the USB Pro Pedals more and more, especially now that I'm flying more in FS2004 now.

Only one thing, how big are they? I saw the box at Fry's, but that did no good. Are they little like the pedals that come with those steering wheel sets? Or are they big enough to actually hold your foot "on" them?

<html>
<body>
<table cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="600" align="center">
<tbody>
<tr>
<td valign="top" bgcolor="#ffffff">
<font face="Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"><font color="000000">adlabs<font color="#ff9900">6</font></font>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td valign="top" bgcolor="#42524e">
<div align="center"><font color="#999999">
http://www.geocities.com/adlabs6/B/bin/sigtemp.JPG (http://mudmovers.com/Sims/FB/fb_skins_historical_adlabs6.htm)
<small><font color="#ff6600">NEW</font> at mudmovers! Click the pic to download my skins from mudmovers.com!</small>
</font>
Skinner's Guide at mudmovers (http://mudmovers.com/Sims/FB/fb_skinnersguide.htm) | Skinner's heaven (http://www.1java.org/sh) | IL2skins (http://www.il2skins.com)
<font color="#999999">
My Forgotten Battles Webpage (http://www.geocities.com/adlabs6/B/index.html) Current Wallpaper: <font color="#999999">Bf-109 Morning Run</font></font>

<A HREF="http://forums.ubi.com/messages/message_view-topic.asp?name=us_il2sturmovik_gd&id=zhiwg" TARGET=_blank>"Whirlwind Whiner"
The first of the few</A>
</div>
</td>
</tr>
</tbody>
</table>
</body>
</html>

Buzz_25th
10-23-2003, 04:15 AM
Big enough to hold your feet fine. I have 13 1/2 feet, and I have no problem.

They arn't like the race sim pedals. They slide back and forth, and have a cup on the bottom of the pedals to hold your foot.

25th_Buzz
<center>

XyZspineZyX
10-23-2003, 04:44 AM
I'll second that. I got a set of American size 12-13 skis and they are ample for me. If you have never used pedals, it was kind of awkward for a day or 2 because I was used to having my feet on the ground.

Buzz_25th wrote:
- Big enough to hold your feet fine. I have 13 1/2
- feet, and I have no problem.
-
- They arn't like the race sim pedals. They slide
- back and forth, and have a cup on the bottom of the
- pedals to hold your foot.
-

They also come with inserts you can put in to keep them from sliding, if your using them for driving.

Just to clarify Buzz, the pedals slide forward and aft like real rudder pedals, plus they also go up and down like car pedals.

I love mine and if they broke tomorrow I'd get another set no questions asked.

When I first got them I was kind of skeptical because I thought they were too close together. I was wrong.

Best of luck,

XyZspineZyX
10-23-2003, 04:58 AM
gee....

why wouldn't i come here first?

offer an opinion based on first-hand experience...

get a bunch of holier-than-thou, how dare you criticize, go away n00b you bother me, condescending responses.

this place is notorious for bad manners and bloated sigs.

sure, go on and name all the merits in its defence.
but i'm talking about signal to noise ratio here.

and as for all the purported aces who use Product X... appears none took the time in HL to help the guy out.

as for Reading the Flipping Manual... did he say he didn't?
can you say it's written well? is English his 1st language? does he have a handy translation? if the hardware is so good... why isn't the software setup more intuitive?

Personally, I think the IL2 series is the most critically acclaimed combat flightsim ever. Can't say the same high standards are as prevalent for some of the more vocal members of the community.

XyZspineZyX
10-23-2003, 05:03 AM
Buzz_25th wrote:
- Ick_352nd
-
- I'll bet your very young.
-
-
younger than you mabey...who cares. I just made the comment that you don't need pedals, throttle, and whatever else to play this game.

so tell me buzz, What dose age have to do with spending a ridiculous amount of money on input devises?

Buzz_25th
10-23-2003, 05:34 AM
Because it seens to be an attitude from youngsters that all that's important is shooting someone down. It's not.

25th_Buzz
<center>

XyZspineZyX
10-23-2003, 05:38 AM
HFC, I agree that some of the switches are hard to reach, but there are so many options that I always had enough to do what I want. I miss my old FFB stick (I still have the old gameport version), but I couldn't hit a thing when it "hunted" near center whenever I was using a light touch. I did love the flight model feeback and was able to fly closer to the edge with it. I'm not one of the guys that fully flushed out the CH Manager, and I had trouble understanding the latest version, so I reverted to the one shipped with the controllers. IL2 and FB, by the way, will recognize just about every input mapped in game and makes the manager somewhat unnecessary. But I still like to use it so I can map non-game stuff like TrackIR and Team Speak. I did find that controller response is better when I remember to close the manager after activating a map (manager doesn't have to run for the map to stay in effect). You might find that useful. I still struggle with trim and will reread some of the posts you "incited" here. Thanks for that. Stick with it. I broke my FFB once; I haven't even come close after over a year wit the CH stuff. By the way, I have the throttle and pedals too. I bought the whole thing for a reaso that might suprise you. I was taking flying lessons, and using twist-grip rudder in games caused me to brain fart during real lessons. I got whacky on landing more than once because of it. The instructor said: "knock off the gaming." Well, that wasn't going to happen, so off to the store I went.

Stick with it a bit, and good luck. You don't have to be the one that figures this stuff out. Some of these posters can do that in their sleep and are glad to help.

XyZspineZyX
10-23-2003, 07:53 AM
First of all I'd like to ask sorry from all of you for my tempered first post. I'm not like this usually, but I've been expecting this like a small kid and was very dissapointed in the beginning with the problems I've faced.

And I repeat that I could not find an easy help on the help section nor the whole HL community for 2 days were I've been "bold" chatting on this to hundreds of online people.

At this moment I've solved many of my problems and still have some but I think that eventualy I will either solve or get used to them.

By the way I have a question (I don't ask for mappings cause I think that everyone should have his own that fits him):I've programmed the mini-joystick to mouse with a dead zone of 15. Still, when I use the axis to the right it's moving even if I release the min-joy. Is this normal? It stops only if I press it for a minisec to the opposite side.

More questions will come within the next days /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

I'm sorry again...

P.S. Do you get this hard response for the diagonal movement? It's smooth to go up/down/left/right but its diagonal movement seems "hard" and less accurate.

XyZspineZyX
10-23-2003, 07:53 AM
So you only bought the Fighter stick USB and Pro Throttle USB for 330 euros,
ok let me tell you that is still very cheap, I paid 390 euros for only the
Fighter stick USB and Pro Throttle USB and then I paid another 170 euros
for the Pro Pedals USB.

This was probable because I went to the shop in Amsterdam which is the official
CH Products distributor in the Netherlands and Belgium and buy the way the cost
almost the same amount of euros at the distributors for Germany and France.

You must feel extremely lucky with this purchase! /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Flight Sims Forever!
http://home.planet.nl/~elzer033/images/dutch-bf109.jpg

XyZspineZyX
10-23-2003, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the link - because it led to this...

http://www.chproducts.com/retail/news_letter_archives.html

A nice plus for the Buff Brigade /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Stuff the fugitive....here comes the one-armed man!!

Buzz_25th
10-23-2003, 08:32 AM
Dolphin,

You need a very bid dead zone to keep it from creeping. The mini stick is not very accurate when it comes to centering.

25th_Buzz
<center>

XyZspineZyX
10-23-2003, 08:50 AM
Yeah, but If I put a very big dead zone then the mj will move so slow that it will be worthless...
As I already told, this mj>mouse is not so good but maybe they can make it better with a new driver.

By the way, do CH release new drivers often (I mean if they keep on fixing problems like the one with the mj>mouse) or they just leave it as it is?

XyZspineZyX
10-23-2003, 09:11 AM
HFC_Dolphin wrote:
-
- First of all I'd like to ask sorry from all of you
- for my tempered first post.
-

"Sorry seems to be the hardest word" to many people but Dolphin knows how to use it. Nice of him!

I've had some similar experiences with him cause I bought same products these days and I agree that this "help" section is not so helpful. This is happening quite often with products that have no good documentation and frustrate people...

Buzz_25th
10-23-2003, 09:14 AM
Listen to me. Put a bigger dead zone in it. CH will tell you the same thing. You can speed the mouse up so it's blur if your worried about that.

25th_Buzz
<center>

XyZspineZyX
10-23-2003, 09:31 AM
Buzz_25th wrote:
- Listen to me. Put a bigger dead zone in it. CH will
- tell you the same thing. You can speed the mouse up
- so it's blur if your worried about that.
-

What do you mean to speed the mouse up so it's blur?
I can put a bigger dead zone and make my mj/mouse move fast?
How?

XyZspineZyX
10-23-2003, 11:20 AM
Ick, I bet you can't !!!

well Dolphin, we already spoke about this on TS...

If you cannot load a map its because your Fighterstick is not installed properly.. In device manager it shouls appear as Ch control manager device 1 and NOT as CH FIGHTER STICK USB-.

That why the LOAD button of the manager is not available.

I use the CH figtherstick USB for FB with little succes for those who know me. I use it in conjuction with my Cougar throttle and Pro Pedal, so I cannot speak about the CH pro throttle.

btw, if you need any help, just ask me over TS tonight again, and I will explain you once more.

At home I have also a X-45 I received for some trip I must do to Japan, and well, I tried it, its cool, but worth not a 1/3 of a CH fighterstick.

The essence of aircombat is to always try to keep your take off and landing numbers equal!

XyZspineZyX
10-23-2003, 01:38 PM
HFC_Dolphin wrote:
-
- First of all I'd like to ask sorry from all of you
- for my tempered first post. I'm not like this
- usually, but I've been expecting this like a small
- kid and was very dissapointed in the beginning with
- the problems I've faced.

Appology accepted. Now lets see if we can't get that HOTAS working like you want! /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

XyZspineZyX
10-23-2003, 01:57 PM
Buzz_25th wrote:
- Because it seens to be an attitude from youngsters
- that all that's important is shooting someone down.
- It's not.
-

whatever /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

XyZspineZyX
10-23-2003, 02:44 PM
Ick_352nd wrote:
- Buzz_25th wrote:
-- Because it seens to be an attitude from youngsters
-- that all that's important is shooting someone down.
-- It's not.
--
-
- whatever

Shouldn't you be in 1st period studying right now?

XyZspineZyX
10-23-2003, 04:33 PM
I've had The whole CH setup for almost a year now, with no troubles. What I'd suggest is to open up the Help files, and print them all out, up through the parts about mapping and downloading the maps.

For some reason, I have a terrible time following directions off a computer screen and much less reading off a printed page (something to do with being able to scan through to what I'm looking for). I put it into a loose-leaf folder. My copy is heavily highlighted and underlined to make sure that when I've been away for a time, or am moving the unit to a new CPU, I don't miss anything.

One of the keys is to install the software before you plug in the hardware. Once this is done, your OS (I'm assuming it's '98 or later) will detect the hardware and start installing the necessary drivers for the first time.

After that, it's a matter of creating, saving and then loading your maps on the CH Control Manager (remember to map everything to CH1), doing a direct connection to calibrate each component of your map, and then download your map. Your Windows Game Controller will show it as one big game controller, instead of three separate controllers.

I'm working from memory here, so I may have missed something, but the key is the Help files. Make sure you know what all those buttons are supposed to do, and if all else fails, call CH down here in California, whine about how cold it is where you live (to get sympathy) and then ask for help. You'll get it.

"Here's your new Mustangs, boys. You can learn to fly'em on the way to the target. Cheers!" - LCOL Don Blakeslee, CO, 4th FG, March, 1944

XyZspineZyX
10-23-2003, 07:56 PM
horseback wrote:
- and if all else fails, call CH down here in
- California, whine about how cold it is where you
- live (to get sympathy) and then ask for help.
- You'll get it.
-

Though I live in a warmer place /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif I did call them and got some help. Still, I think that the help files are not good.
For example I was trying to get information about how to program in different modes (my stick has 3 modes, according to specifications) and I only see one mode when I program it. Well, I give the word mode in the help section and I get some irrelevant information...

So, if anyone can tell me how to program all 3 modes of my fighterstick (inclusive of pro throttle), I 'd be glad to hear it!

XyZspineZyX
10-23-2003, 09:35 PM
Salute

I have been using CH Products for 7 years now.

I started with the Analog Gameport Fighterstick and Pro Pedals, and am now using the USB versions.

I don't bother using the programming function for IL-2, I simply program directly using the IL-2 Controls interface. The programming function made by CH Products takes some time getting used to, but it isn't rocket science. I use it to program for games such as RED BARON etc.

I used my original gameport FighterStick for 3 1/2 years, the 3 year warranty had expired and had a problem with the trim wheels being sticky. So I mailed it back to CH Products and asked them if they could fix it.

They mailed me a BRAND NEW FighterStick replacement. And that was when it wasn't under warranty.

I think they are a great company.

RAF74 Buzzsaw

Message Edited on 10/23/0308:42PM by RAF74BuzzsawXO

Buzz_25th
10-23-2003, 09:50 PM
Buzzsaw,

The problem with doing it your way is you can't program the mini stick to be mouse control../i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Dolphin,

The mini stick is just controling the mouse. So anything you do to speed up the mouse will also speed up the mini stick. You can do this in windows, or in FB in the input menu.

25th_Buzz
<center>

XyZspineZyX
10-23-2003, 09:54 PM
Salute

Pro Pedals foot pedals are big.

They measure 10 inches high and 4 inches wide. Top is open. You can easily rest your feet in them. I just leave mine there.

Whole set up is quite durable and strong.

Only problem I had once with my gameport version Pedals, was a wire inside, (which are quite tiny) broke, and I had to open the pedals up and solder the connection again.

I would suggest also you avoid jamming the back end against a wall, since the control cable comes out the back and could get crimped. For this reason I set my desk back a bit from the wall in the room I play in, so I don't force the pedals against the wall in my excitment.

The Simped Vario pedals are even better, but you pay big bucks for them. Plus I am not sure that they work with anything but the Microsoft FF joysticks.

RAF74 Buzzsaw

XyZspineZyX
10-23-2003, 09:55 PM
Salute Buzz

I don't have the throttle, so that isn't an issue.

RAF74 Buzzsaw

XyZspineZyX
10-23-2003, 10:12 PM
I have been in your shoes before. Over the last ten years, aside from a set of Suncom F-15E HOTAS, and a brief use of two sets of X-45 controls (Failed within 6 months), all I use is CH.

Don't get discouraged. There are a lot of people who can help you programe your controls, or even write the program file for you, you can download it to your HOTAS, and viola.

Trust me, CH is the best. Once you get savy with your current stick, you can step up into a whole new world with thier new COUGAR HOTAS. I love it! All steel, bult to last forever. Expensive, but worth every penny if you have any interest in flight simms. The stick is removable, so when other replica sticks come out you can just plug it into your base. This first model comes as an exact F-16 replica throttle and stick. I mean exact, I have worked on F-16s and this is it! Go to www.cougarworld.com (http://www.cougarworld.com)

The United States Air Force....
When you absolutely, positively, have to have it blown up over night.

492FS 48th FW Lakenheath England
http://www.raflakenheath.homestead.com/files/F_15TaxingTakeoff.jpg

XyZspineZyX
10-23-2003, 10:58 PM
I have the ch throttle - ch fighter stick - the saitek stick - msffb2 stick - ch propedals -

The combo that I currently use is this

Saitek Throttle - (i too like the rotary controls)

Ch-Pedals

MSFF2 - stick - I hate the stick but love the FF feature - would rather use the CH stick

I also use a Belkins Nostromo n50 speedpad - mounted to the throttle (it fits perfect under the throttle lever)

I like the ch product - they will last a life time - but as I said they are just missing the rotary knobs - Now when they make a throttle that has rotars - I will be the first in line to pick them up....

XyZspineZyX
10-23-2003, 11:25 PM
HFC_Dolphin wrote:
- Though I live in a warmer place I did call them and got
- some help. Still, I think that the help files are not
- good.
-
- For example I was trying to get information about
- how to program in different modes (my stick has 3
- modes, according to specifications) and I only see
- one mode when I program it. Well, I give the word
- mode in the help section and I get some irrelevant
- information...

For what it's worth, I just tried what you describe. Using both the Index and Find tabs in the Help menus and searching for "mode" and "mode switch" didn't turn up the answer to your question.

- So, if anyone can tell me how to program all 3 modes
- of my fighterstick (inclusive of pro throttle), I 'd
- be glad to hear it!

It's pretty easy. Load the map you want to edit. Go to the Program Settings tab. Go to the Mode Control dropdown box and select the controller you want to use to change modes. If I recall correctly, you have a Fighterstick so I would recommend you select that. Now the button on the right side of the stick, that you reach with your index finger (Button 3) will toggle the modes. You should see the LED on the Fighterstick cycle through the three colors. Note that the Pro Throttle's LED will not change to match, but it will be changing modes.

Here are some threads about Control Manager that you might find helpful. There is an explanation in one of these threads (by me) of how the three modes work, so I won't retype them here. If you have questions, post here or PM me.

http://forums.ubi.com/messages/message_view-topic.asp?name=us_il2sturmovik_gd&id=zcdwo

http://forums.ubi.com/messages/message_view-topic.asp?name=us_il2sturmovik_gd&id=zbzan

"When my brother and I built and flew the first man-carrying flying machine, we thought that we were introducing into the world an invention which would make further wars impossible..."

Orville Wright, 1917

Message Edited on 10/23/0305:40PM by Leadfinger_71

XyZspineZyX
10-23-2003, 11:38 PM
RAF74BuzzsawXO wrote:
- Salute
-
- Pro Pedals foot pedals are big.
-
- They measure 10 inches high and 4 inches wide. Top
- is open. You can easily rest your feet in them. I
- just leave mine there.
-
- Whole set up is quite durable and strong.
-
- Only problem I had once with my gameport version
- Pedals, was a wire inside, (which are quite tiny)
- broke, and I had to open the pedals up and solder
- the connection again.
-
- I would suggest also you avoid jamming the back end
- against a wall, since the control cable comes out
- the back and could get crimped. For this reason I
- set my desk back a bit from the wall in the room I
- play in, so I don't force the pedals against the
- wall in my excitment.
-
- The Simped Vario pedals are even better, but you pay
- big bucks for them. Plus I am not sure that they
- work with anything but the Microsoft FF joysticks.

I have a set of Simped Pro Vario USB pedals and they work great with my Fighterstick USB and Pro Throttle USB with one really annoying caveat. The Simped pedals insist on taking Joystick ID1 on my system, while my Fighterstick is on ID2 and the Pro Throttle is on ID3. This means that default button assignments in IL-2/FB don't work because they are all for Joystick ID1. This wasn't very important to me, as I chose to program my sticks to send keystrokes rather than button IDs. However, this ID problem also means I am unable to program the axis response curves using the sliders in IL-2/FB. Instead, I have to manually edit the conf.ini file. This isn't hard, but it is annoying until you know what you're looking for. Fortunately, you only have to do this once.

I chose the Simped pedals for their wider spacing. I had the opportunity to try out a set of the CH pedals and found that my feet were way too close together to be comfortable. The springs on the CH Pedals (both the rudder and toe brakes) were too light IMO. I paid about $185 US for the Simpeds. That includes the currency conversion, VAT tax and shipping, which took about 3 weeks.

I initially had the "pedals sliding in my excitement" problem also. To solve it, I bought one of those plastic office chair runners with the spikes on the bottom and cut a rectange that was the width and length of my pedals. I then screwed it to the bottom of the base with some screws and holes that were already present. Now I can push on the pedals evenly with both feet and my chair moves back instead of the pedals sliding on the carpet.

Orville Wright, 1917

XyZspineZyX
10-24-2003, 12:18 AM
Leadfinger_71 wrote:
-
- I have a set of Simped Pro Vario USB pedals and they
- work great with my Fighterstick USB and Pro Throttle
- USB with one really annoying caveat. The Simped
- pedals insist on taking Joystick ID1 on my system,
- while my Fighterstick is on ID2 and the Pro Throttle
- is on ID3. This means that default button
- assignments in IL-2/FB don't work because they are
- all for Joystick ID1. This wasn't very important to
- me, as I chose to program my sticks to send
- keystrokes rather than button IDs. However, this ID
- problem also means I am unable to program the axis
- response curves using the sliders in IL-2/FB.
- Instead, I have to manually edit the conf.ini file.
- This isn't hard, but it is annoying until you know
- what you're looking for. Fortunately, you only have
- to do this once.
-

So, now I may have another problem!
I too have fighterstick as ID2 on my system. Does this mean that the settings I have put into the FB game (input: pitch/roll/yaw, numbers from 1-100) are not used by the Fighterstick? And if not, how do I arrange this?

XyZspineZyX
10-24-2003, 02:06 AM
GO HERE:

C:\Program Files\Ubi Soft\IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles

FIND THIS:

conf.ini

In the Conf.ini you will find this:

[rts_joystick]
X=0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 0
Y=0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 0
Z=0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100
RZ=0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 0
FF=0
U=0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 0
V=0 1 5 10 15 20 25 30 35 40 90 0
1X=0 1 4 8 13 19 26 34 44 54 67 0
1Y=0 1 4 8 13 19 26 34 44 54 67 0
1Z=0 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 0
1RZ=0 0 1 3 6 10 16 25 37 47 47 0
1RX=0 1 5 10 15 20 25 30 35 40 100 0
1X1=0 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 0
1Y1=0 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 0
1Z1=0 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 0
================================================== =======

YOUR MAIN CONCERN WILL BE THESE:
(1X & 1Y) 1X is ROLL , 1Y is PITCH

1X=0 1 4 8 13 19 26 34 44 54 67 0
1Y=0 1 4 8 13 19 26 34 44 54 67 0

I do not recomend that you use my settings or yer gona die alot

I use my Mouse on the throttle as a rudder controll that is this setting:

1RZ=0 0 1 3 6 10 16 25 37 47 47 0

as you can see I dont do alot of turning with thoes settings but if you get in my crosshair yer dead for sure

Good Luck

PS. I have other settings if you want me to post them I will.

Message Edited on 10/24/03 11:19PM by AFJ_Locust

Message Edited on 10/24/03 11:20PM by AFJ_Locust

Message Edited on 10/24/0311:21PM by AFJ_Locust

XyZspineZyX
10-25-2003, 05:18 AM
^