PDA

View Full Version : Ju88 Versus TB3

XyZspineZyX
11-01-2003, 10:00 AM
In the VEF-campaign I have compared the kills of the Ju88 and the TB3 for four missions I have flown. The missions where comparable, the same numbers of aircraft dropped their bombs, the inflict of fighters where comparable, the ground targets where wehicles, a mix of cars and tanks. The level of crews where veterans.

The TB3 killed aprox 30 vehicles/tanks and the JU88 killed 8.
Was the TB3 better equipped with bombs, bomsight etc or do I need a more missions to be scintific?

XyZspineZyX
11-01-2003, 10:00 AM
In the VEF-campaign I have compared the kills of the Ju88 and the TB3 for four missions I have flown. The missions where comparable, the same numbers of aircraft dropped their bombs, the inflict of fighters where comparable, the ground targets where wehicles, a mix of cars and tanks. The level of crews where veterans.

The TB3 killed aprox 30 vehicles/tanks and the JU88 killed 8.
Was the TB3 better equipped with bombs, bomsight etc or do I need a more missions to be scintific?

XyZspineZyX
11-01-2003, 10:39 AM
Well, unless you compare the bomb loads & release altitudes you can't really compare at all. The TB-3 has a bombsight that's only really good up to a couple of thousand metres, and it goes slower so I guess a human pilot could line up easier in it.

Really the biggest difference in effectiveness for level bombers will be in bomb load & altitude.

XyZspineZyX
11-01-2003, 11:08 AM
Well, I guess you could only get a feel for bombing effectiveness if you set up a mission, and run it with the Ju88's and TB3's taking it in turns to do the bombing from the same altiude with equal bomb loads.

Then you could start to vary the altitude and the bomb load and see what happens.

Still I don't know how sophisticated bombing is modelled for the AI anyway.

On a technical viewpoint, I would have thought the Ju88 would have had a more effective bombsight, but that is a gut feeling with no data to back it up.

"As weaponry, both were good, but in far different ways from each other. In a nutshell, I describe it this way: if the FW 190 was a sabre, the 109 was a florett, or foil, like that used in the precision art of fencing." - Gunther Rall

XyZspineZyX
11-01-2003, 04:44 PM
Hi,

First question - were you flying as the pilot/bombadier in both the Ju88 and TB3?

If the bomb run was left to the AI, their accuracy is determined purely by the skill level set for their flight.

Rookie flights will drop their bombs vaguely in the direction of the target. Ace level flights will deliver a perfectly synchronised drop where the first plane in flight will hit the target zone dead on, most of the time.

http://home.iprimus.com.au/djgwen/fb/worker_parasite.jpg

Need help with NewView? Read this thread. (http://forums.ubi.com/messages/message_view-topic.asp?name=us_il2sturmovik_gd&id=yzbcj)