PDA

View Full Version : Navigation

thedude9555
07-03-2008, 01:20 PM
I play this game in full realism exept for the map, i use icons and waypoints on map.

My question: is there a guide on how to navigate by yourself, s its even more realistic?

LIke u use your instruments and heading and altitude and stuff to get to the place and back.

Zeus-cat
07-03-2008, 02:17 PM
There might be a guide, but it really isn't that hard to do. Actually, it is hard to do, but the concept is easy.

Look at the map in the briefing section and take notes on where you start and where you want to go. Estimate the compass headings and distances you need to travel. The big blocks on the zoomed out map are 10km by 10km. Determine the speed at which you want to travel and calculate the TIME that will take at that speed (time = distance/velocity).

When you play the mission use a watch or stopwatch to measure the time you spend on each compass heading and then turn when the time runs out. If you are flying over land then you can use landmarks to verify your location as needed. If you are over the water it is a little trickier!

I believe my "Straight Down" campaign provides the compass headings and approximate distance in every briefing.

idonno
07-03-2008, 02:45 PM
Well Zeus-cat beat me to it, but since I already typed this up, here it is. Also, there are some differences.

The best way to get good at it is to just do it. Create a mission with just a take off waypoint, then pick someplace to fly to and figure out what the heading to that place is.

Make sure you stay on that heading and get enough altitude so you can see reasonably far. The important thing when you're learning to do this is to keep track of where you are right from the start. As you climb out after take off, notice the landmarks (towns, rivers, lakes,) in the intimidate vicinity and locate them on the map. Then find another landmark on the map just ahead on your path and start looking for that. Be sure you can see the next landmark along the way before you lose sight of the previous one.

Eventually you will get the hang of picking out the things on the ground that you will be able to easily located on the map. Once you do, you'll be able to figure out your location from scratch even when you get turned around after a long fight.

If you get lost over water, all you can do is climb in the general direction of your base and start looking. If you're looking for a carrier, it might be easier to located the nearest island first.

Chris0382
07-03-2008, 02:58 PM
Believe me, play the same map over and over like some do and you'll know your way around. Took me a while in BF1942 BOB server but once you know the way, its smooth navigating. Some people know the exact pixels were to drop bombs from 10,000 ft or meters.

Major.Snacko
07-03-2008, 04:24 PM
Compasses:
Also, some aircraft had a radio commpass or magnetic compass. Maybe somebody here can explain more about them.... But I use the one in the B25 (in the center of the cockpit). If I keep the arrow in between the white lines, I will go directly to my next waypoint. I use this to make sure I am lined up in the B25 for a high altitude level bomb run before I jump into the Norton Bombsight. Then the bomb sight is pretty much on target to start with.

Waypoint Commands:
You can issue Waypoint Commands over the radio to your wingmen to tell them to go to the next (or Last) waypoint. You can also do a radio command to ask for a vector to your target, or home base.

Snacko