PDA

View Full Version : Wow. Oleg, dogfighting Stukas?

SeaFireLIV
12-30-2003, 01:59 PM
I just had a mission where a Stuka actually took me on in a dogfight. Somehow, because my P40e was quite damaged and losing power, the Stuka knew to take me on.
I was actually forced to bail. I have played Campaign mode almost constantly since FB`s release and have never had the AI Stuka take the initiative like this before.

An excellent touch Oleg. Well done. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

`Man is an embodied paradox, a bundle of contradictions.` Lacon.

SeaFireLIV
12-30-2003, 01:59 PM
I just had a mission where a Stuka actually took me on in a dogfight. Somehow, because my P40e was quite damaged and losing power, the Stuka knew to take me on.
I was actually forced to bail. I have played Campaign mode almost constantly since FB`s release and have never had the AI Stuka take the initiative like this before.

An excellent touch Oleg. Well done. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

necrobaron
12-30-2003, 02:14 PM
I must admit that I've used that tactic to a limited degree in my beloved Stuka campaign. Those damaged stragglers are just too tempting,and this sort of occurence wasn't unheard of in RL. I'll be glad when we get the D-5 with those 20mm cannons. The 7.96 peashooters just don't pack much of a punch.....http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

BfHeFwMe
12-30-2003, 03:26 PM
They're pretty good against hurricanes, bagged two in a coop once after a ship strike over water. Don't think they were expecting a stukie to stick around and fight it out. LoL

SeaFireLIV
12-30-2003, 03:39 PM
Yea, great, but I know well about Human Stukas attacking in a dogfight role on and offline. My point is AI Stukas actually attacking wounded player FIGHTER planes in the offline Campaign. It`s obvious they are programmed to recognise the situation which allows for this. It was always that the Stuka would fly on like a drone, or evade in my experience. Never actually take a chance to attack you like a fighter.

When the AI Stuka attacked me I suddenly realised my dire situation when my smoking P40e simply didn`t have the power to outrun the AI Stuka.

LEXX_Luthor
12-31-2003, 07:04 PM
Not documented anywhere, but certain ground attack aircraft seem to *always* act like a fighter...IL2 and Su2 are examples.

The trick around this when making missions is to set the IL2 to a Ground Attack waypoint in airspace where it may contact enemy planes. When the next waypoint is Ground Attack, the IL2s ignore enemy aircraft. Of course, the IL2s will bomb whatever they....

Gosh this is SOOOOO complicated cos there are two (2) vastly different types of Ground Attack waypoints (target selected and free hunting over very limited radius of engagement)...I could write a book on this just spend a few months experimenting in FMB. Its sad we don't know the details of the programming objectives here (don't need the code, just the behavior the programmers wanted to make).

necrobaron
12-31-2003, 10:21 PM
I agree...

12-31-2003, 11:29 PM
Well if u atack one of their buddys they dont leave u die like in online gaming, they go and help him, so u better be careful next time

xenios
01-01-2004, 11:04 AM
It is indeed an example of IL2's superior AI. We all complain about the AIs many, many failings, but honestly, what else is better out there?

I had this happen years ago with the original IL2, during my very first online coop. I was flying back to base in a flak-damaged IL2, when my human gunner and I crossed paths with a squadron of AI stukas on their way home. Normally they wouldn't have been a threat (especially in those days when MGs did so little damage) but we had a desperate, running fight with the whole gaggle of them. They knew we were crippled, and eventually brought us down over a forest. It's one of those fights that really sticks in my memory, probably because of my gunner's desperate messages to dodge their swarming attacks.

Nowadays, if I happen to be flying a Stuka, shooting down a straggler or unwary fighter is just the standard second act of the mission. You can actually do it now with the improved MGs and damage models, and the Stuka is actually slightly more nimble than a Sturmovik, even if it is inferior in every other way. In the last patch the MG17 peashooters got a slight boost, although they still are the worst guns in the sim (and in RL).

JG77_Tintin
01-02-2004, 12:28 AM
See nothing wrong with this, is a reason why FB is number one. In fact, the first Luftwaffe kill of WW2 was made by Stuka. It was a B1 flown by Frank Neubert of 2./Stg 2, T6+GK on Sept 1, 1939. He apparently lost his way, returning from a bombing mission and joined up with another German formation which was at the being engaged by 2 P11's climbing to intercept them. Happened to get behind one of them and nailed it. The other P11, flown by Wladyslaw Gnys, escaped and shot down 2 Do 17E's (flying pencils) of 7./KG77 later on.

SeaFireLIV
01-02-2004, 04:46 AM
Like I said. It`s GREAT!http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

FI-Aflak
01-04-2004, 12:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by necrobaron:
I must admit that I've used that tactic to a limited degree in my beloved Stuka campaign. Those damaged stragglers are just too tempting,and this sort of occurence wasn't unheard of in RL. I'll be glad when we get the D-5 with those 20mm cannons. The 7.96 peashooters just don't pack much of a punch.....http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

those ARE peashooters. I dumped my entire load of ammo into a DAMAGED I-16, scoring nearly 80% hits, and did absolutely no damage.

Another occasion I noticed a U2 observation plane coming head on at me, so I lined up, and dumped ammo into its engine. I SAW multiple hit flashes on the actuall motor, like9 or 10 hit flashes, and no result, no smoke, no thin trail, nothing.

Then my tailgunner lit the engine on fire after we passed. I still got the kill. heh.