PDA

View Full Version : More realistic differential braking...

Bearcat99
06-19-2008, 01:13 AM
Someone try this..it's late and I am tired as hell, just got in not to long ago from an after hours service all... couldn't sleep so I got to fiddling ..

Now as many of you know real differential braking as in being able to brake from the left or right wheel without using rudder is not modelled in the sim... You can simulate it by kicking rudder and applying brakes.. but then that only works on one axis... so basically you will be applying rudder in the direction of your turn and then applying brakes on that one axis that will work for brakes in the sim.. whether you are turning right or left.. That always bugged me.. My brakes are on the right pedal axis so when I wanted to make a left turn I would have to kick left rudder.. and apply brakes with my right foot.. kinda... un immersive.. at least IMO.. but better than nothing..

I think I got a more realistic approach.. You will still have to apply rudder.. but now you can have the brakes in both pedals, so basically it will be right rudder right brakes.. left rudder left brakes.. still not true DB.. but a more immersive method. A while back 99th_RockStar showed me this, but the problem with it was it would only work when the sim was booted.. once you shut the sim down and rebooted it would go back to the default... Well I think I figured a simple almost DUUUUUHHHH way to make it stick.. here's is what I am talking about..

Go to : C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\IL-2 Sturmovik 1946\Users\Doe

With Doe being whatever name you have for your default pilot.. You will see 2 folders in there ... camapigns and settings. The settings folder is where your stick settings are found.. that is the folder with your stick settings you want to back up so that in case you accidentally load the default stick settings.. you can get whatever you use back.. or if you have a HD crash... anyway... here is a copy of mine... go down to the part that is highlighted in bold

[dgen]
yearBirth=1915
placeBirth=New York City
[HotKey pilot]
X=EngineExtinguisher
W=Boost
V=AIRCRAFT_FLAPS_NOTCH_DOWN
Shift X=EngineSelectRight
Shift T=EngineFeather
N=AIRCRAFT_STABILIZER
Shift S=CompressorPlus
J=MagnetoPlus
H=AIRCRAFT_CARRIERHOOK
G=Gear
Shift M=MixPlus20
F=AIRCRAFT_FLAPS_NOTCH_UP
E=GunPods
Shift J=MagnetoMinus
Ctrl V=AIRCRAFT_TOGGLE_AIRBRAKE
B=AIRCRAFT_BRAKESHOE
Shift G=AIRCRAFT_GEAR_UP_MANUAL
Ctrl T=AIRCRAFT_DROP_TANKS
Ctrl S=CompressorMinus
Shift E=AIRCRAFT_TOGGLE_ENGINE
Ctrl M=MixMinus20
9=SIGHT_ALT_PLUS
Ctrl L=AIRCRAFT_TAILWHEELLOCK
8=SIGHT_ALT_MINUS
Alt X=EngineSelectLeft
Ctrl H=COCKPITDOOR
4=Weapon3
3=Weapon2
Ctrl F=Radiator
Shift 9=SIGHT_SIDE_LEFT
2=Weapon1
Ctrl E=EngineSelectNone
1=Weapon0
0=SIGHT_AUTO_ONOFF
Shift 6=SIGHT_SIDE_RIGHT
Period=EngineToggleRight
Comma=EngineToggleLeft
Down=AIRCRAFT_DOCK_UNDOCK
Alt G=AIRCRAFT_GEAR_DOWN_MANUAL
Alt E=EngineSelectAll
Alt B=WINGFOLD
Ctrl 5=StepAuto
Ctrl 4=SIGHT_DIST_MINUS
Ctrl 2=SIGHT_DIST_PLUS
Ctrl 1=Weapon01
Alt 9=SIGHT_SPD_PLUS
Alt 8=SIGHT_SPD_MINUS
Alt 7=SIGHT_DIST_MINUS
Alt 6=SIGHT_DIST_PLUS
Alt 4=SIGHT_SIDE_RIGHT
Alt 3=SIGHT_AUTO_ONOFF
Alt 2=SIGHT_SIDE_LEFT
[HotKey gunner]
MouseLeft=Fire
[HotKey aircraftView]
Ctrl F2=NextViewEnemy
Ctrl F1=CockpitShow
Y=PadlockViewPrev
U=PadlockViewNext
Alt F6=ViewEnemyDirectGround
Alt F5=ViewEnemyDirectAir
Alt F4=PadlockViewFriend
C=changeCockpit
Equals=fovInc
End=fov70
PageDown=fov30
PageUp=fov90
Alt 5=cockpitUp
Underscore=fovDec
F7=PadlockViewFriendGround
F6=ViewEnemyGround
F5=ViewEnemyAir
F4=PadlockView
F3=OutsideViewFly
F2=OutsideView
F1=CockpitView
Shift F6=ViewFriendGround
Shift F5=ViewFriendAir
Shift F4=PadlockViewGround
Shift F2=NextView
Shift F1=cockpitAim
[HotKey SnapView]
5=Snap_0_0
[HotKey PanView]
5=PanReset
[HotKey orders]
9=order9
8=order8
7=order7
6=order6
5=order5
4=order4
3=order3
2=order2
1=order1
0=order0
Escape=deactivate
Tab=activate
[HotKey misc]
BackQuote=chat
T=toggleSmokes
S=onlineRating
M=pad
L=toggleNavLights
Shift L=cockpitLight
A=autopilot
Shift A=autopilotAuto
Alt S=showPositionHint
Ctrl D=cockpitDim
Alt O=ejectPilot
Alt M=showMirror
Alt L=toggleLandingLight
Alt I=iconTypes
[HotKey $$$misc]
Z=quickSaveNetTrack
[HotKey timeCompression]
CloseBracket=timeSpeedUp
OpenBracket=timeSpeedDown
P=timeSpeedPause
Quote=timeSpeedNormal
Pause=timeSpeedPause
[HotKey move]
JoystickDevice0 AXE_Y=elevator
AXE_RX JoystickDevice1=-trimrudder
AXE_RZ JoystickDevice2=rudder
AXE_U JoystickDevice1=-power
AXE_U JoystickDevice0=-pitch
AXE_V JoystickDevice1=trimelevator
AXE_X JoystickDevice0=aileron
AXE_Y JoystickDevice2=brakes
<span class="ev_code_YELLOW">AXE_X JoystickDevice2=brakes</span>
[difficulty]
single=27260159
net=27194879
[net]
regiment=usa01
airclass=F4U-1C
squadron=0
tacticalnumber=1
numberOn=1
[cover]
mashinegun=200.0
cannon=250.0
rocket=500.0
rocketdelay=1.0
bombdelay=1.0
fuel=75.0
[skin]
<sub>This whole section removed by me for the sake of this post because it was long as all get out.. but it will contain a list of all the skins that you use for all the planes you fly</sub>

Now bear in mind that the line highlighted in yellow was added by me. Normally all you would see is :

[HotKey move]
JoystickDevice0 AXE_Y=elevator
AXE_RX JoystickDevice1=-trimrudder
AXE_RZ JoystickDevice2=rudder
AXE_U JoystickDevice1=-power
AXE_U JoystickDevice0=-pitch
AXE_V JoystickDevice1=trimelevator
AXE_X JoystickDevice0=aileron
AXE_Y JoystickDevice2=brakes

but I added the other line <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">AXE_X JoystickDevice2=brakes</span>. (I think HotKey move sets up the moveable axis.. Hmmm.. come to think of it I wonder if I added another axis for something else and gave it an assignment I could get it to work.. )

Previously as I said.. as soon as you shut the sim off that would revert back to the default settings of only the one line AXE_Y JoystickDevice2=brakes, even if you saved it. But if you add the second line underneath it with the X axis, save it... and then right click it scroll down to properties and select Read Only, it will save that line for the other axis.. which is the other axis on your pedals (Rudder pedals have 3 axis.. each foot and the rotating part). Bear in mind that once you make this a read only any changes you make in the sim in your controls screen.. as in reassigning keys or whatever WILL NOT TAKE once the sim is shut down until you change it from Read Only, so if you want to make changes you will have to uncheck read only, make the new key stroke changes and then re check Read Only. Remember also that your file may not look like mine... but copy whatever axis you have for brakes if you have your brakes on your pedals and change the copied line from X to Y or vice versa if you have selected the Y axis on your pedals.

Ok.. it's late and I am beat.. someone else with rudder pedals try this and tell me I'm not just imagining this.

FoolTrottel
06-19-2008, 02:48 AM
You are correct for the most part.

But I found one thing being different:
The added line only gets removed when you enter and leave the Controls screen in game.

Just starting the game, and flying a bit does not reset it. Well, in my testing it does not.
(Mind you, I haven't got dual brakes on my pedalset -homebuilt one- only on the right pedal, but I used the slider I normally have flaps assigned to. And, I've only tried offline, not using Hyperlobby to start the game.)

And a warning: When you do use this trick, do not use IL2-Sticks and press 'Save to Conf.ini'.
It will lead to unpredictable results in conf.ini! Whether the game suffers from that, I do not know... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

x6BL_Brando
06-19-2008, 02:58 AM
Now all I have to do is repair that broken wire to my left pedal axis - days of work, springs hurtling everywhere, oh http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif - d*** you Bearcat!

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

B

AA_Double_Tap
06-19-2008, 03:37 AM
x6BL_Brando,

You must have a heavy left foot like me. The toe brake in the left pedal of my Simpeds is on the Fritz as well. One of these days I will fix it.
I would love to test for you Bearcat, but I can't.
~E!~
D_T

Bearcat99
06-19-2008, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by FoolTrottel:

The added line only gets removed when you enter and leave the Controls screen in game.

Just starting the game, and flying a bit does not reset it. Well, in my testing it does not.
(Mind you, I haven't got dual brakes on my pedalset -homebuilt one- only on the right pedal, but I used the slider I normally have flaps assigned to. And, I've only tried offline, not using Hyperlobby to start the game.)

And a warning: When you do use this trick, do not use IL2-Sticks and press 'Save to Conf.ini'.
It will lead to unpredictable results in conf.ini! Whether the game suffers from that, I do not know... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Rgr that.. ty for the heads up.. I have my sticks pretty much set.. Ill try to remember that.. I guess that is sort of like the widescreen setup in the config file.. if you go into the setup in the sim and change anything it goes back to the default.

TheFamilyMan
06-19-2008, 02:39 PM
This info about DB pedal settings should be put in a sticky or a guide somewhere. I read about this several weeks ago here (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/49310655/m/6591070836?r=2731043936#2731043936). It's really nice until it has come undone (and you don't know it) and you're trying to impress your buddies with your ability to smack your tail around as you pull onto the runway.

DeerHunterUK
06-19-2008, 03:23 PM
Do you think this would work on a twist grip joystick like a Satiek Evo as I can't see why it wouldn't?

FoolTrottel
06-19-2008, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by DeerHunterUK:
Do you think this would work on a twist grip joystick like a Satiek Evo as I can't see why it wouldn't?
It should.

Whatever hardware control you use, as long it's of a similar type (switch vs. axis) it makes no difference to IL2 what you do with it...

TheFamilyMan
06-19-2008, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by DeerHunterUK:
Do you think this would work on a twist grip joystick like a Satiek Evo as I can't see why it wouldn't? Applying rudder while braking (or visa versa) always produces a differential braking effect. This DB stuff is even presented in IL-2's basic training missions.

What is missing in IL-2 is true DB, where each pedal can brake an individual wheel regardless of the rudder control.

DeerHunterUK
06-19-2008, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by TheFamilyMan:
Applying rudder while braking (or visa versa) always produces a differential braking effect. This DB stuff is even presented in IL-2's basic training missions.

What is missing in IL-2 is true DB, where each pedal can brake an individual wheel regardless of the rudder control.

Ah ok, I always thought the game applied both brakes but I see what you mean. It would be handy to use the twist grip as both brakes and rudder as trying to push my brakes key whilst using the rudder is a pain for me.

Phil_C
06-19-2008, 04:49 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

It would help greatly in turning on a carrier, esp in training to take off after a successful trap.

T_O_A_D
06-19-2008, 06:08 PM
Good tip BC

If you have Ch pedals you can use CH manager to do the same thing without fiddling with the game.

I also made my first person shooter lean left and right and move left and right, with ch manger and my pedals.

Tully__
06-20-2008, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by TheFamilyMan:

It is not missing, it is implemented in the same way as British and Russian aircraft of the era. In those aircraft there was only a single brake control (usually hand operated, you can see it moving in game on the control column of many of the relevant aircraft when you actuate the brakes). How much of that braking force was applied on each of the main wheels was controlled by a pressure valving arrangement connected to the rudder controls, so moving the rudder pedals also controlled differential braking. Even though it's implemented differently to American and German aircraft of the era, the outcome is identical.

TheFamilyMan
06-20-2008, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the correction there, I didn't know this about DB though I can't say I ever bothered to research it. I'll pass this along to my fly buddies who also moan about this 'apparent lack' of pedal functionality in IL-2 (we all started from MSFS).

Bearcat99
08-22-2008, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by FoolTrottel:

It will not reset... but you are correct.. if you make ANY changes to ANY of the settings changes the READ ONLY status.. so that thye changes can take effect then switch it back so they will stay.

Bearcat99
09-26-2008, 10:18 AM
bump

Bearcat99
12-19-2008, 02:36 PM
Bump

WTE_Galway
12-21-2008, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Tully__:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TheFamilyMan:

It is not missing, it is implemented in the same way as British and Russian aircraft of the era. In those aircraft there was only a single brake control (usually hand operated, you can see it moving in game on the control column of many of the relevant aircraft when you actuate the brakes). How much of that braking force was applied on each of the main wheels was controlled by a pressure valving arrangement connected to the rudder controls, so moving the rudder pedals also controlled differential braking. Even though it's implemented differently to American and German aircraft of the era, the outcome is identical. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My understanding was that differential toe brakes were actually a new innovation in the second world war period and pre-1939 very few planes were built that way. I also recall reading that many pilots disliked the system feeling that it added unnecessary extra work load.

What would have been historically more correct would have been to enable toe brakes in the planes that had them and disable them for the rest.

AA_Double_Tap
01-01-2009, 11:34 PM
I finally got my right toe brake working on my Simpeds and looked up this thread to implement both pedals.

my .ini file is different. The lines I needed to add were:

AXE_RY JoystickDevice0=-brakes
AXE_V JoystickDevice0=-brakes

A simple way to do this is to assign one toe brake within IL-2,and then quit. Then look up the .ini file and copy the brake line, and then restart IL-2 and assign the other toe brake to be the brakes, then exit IL-2.
Go to the .ini file, paste the brake statement under the new one, save, then make it read-only.