PDA

View Full Version : We all accept online connection with MP games. Why no in AC2?

adarwinter
03-08-2010, 02:39 PM
We all accept online connection with MP games. Why no in AC2?

People bring this case forth as to show that moaning about the need to constantly be online for a game is something we are accustomed for by now. They say "why aren't complaining that when playing WOW you ahve to be online as well?"

in case anyone thought about why ppl cry when AC2 requires u to be under the same condition as MW2 or Bad company 2 or unreal or any other multiplayer or co-op game than the answer is simple -
In MMOs and in MP games the experience WITHOUT being online is a lot worse. I tried walking on the bad company 2 maps by myself but that was a rather dull experience, especially after all the structures have turned into big piles of flickering physics based polygons.
having an online connection while playing ad company 2 yields a much more fun experience, as u can guess.
yeah, it has connection issues and lag but it's worth the trouble and hassle.

However an online connection requirement for a SP game does NOT give a better experience. it gives the same experience we all know plus difficulties and more places for it to go wrong.

THIS is the reason why people are mad when required to be online for a SP game - because the experience can only become worse.

p.s. - i know of the DRMs advantages. does anyone here really think they are worth the hassle?

Jarudin
03-08-2010, 02:41 PM
I honestly don't give a damn if I have to be online all the time, because I'm online anyway for my own reasons.

I do mind that I can't play the game right now because I can't connect to the server or the server is refusing my login creds.

Keksus
03-08-2010, 02:59 PM
We all accept online connection with MP games. Why no in AC2?

Because AC2 is a SINGLEPLAYER game.

iamed
03-08-2010, 03:03 PM
It might surprise you to find out that there are actually some gamers out there that PREFER a single player experience over that offered in Multiplayer. Requring a single player game to be online all the time is just assinine.

fl4nger23
03-08-2010, 03:13 PM
p.s. - i know of the DRMs advantages.

Please, please, tell me a SINGLE advantage of this sort of DRM over SecuROM, Star-Force or any other DRM that is out? They all share the same fate, they're all cracked eventually. Pirates get used, that they won't play newly released games in the day of release. They're patient now, they will patiently wait for a week or maybe more and also will test beta cracks and in the end there will be released working crack and they will play it without paying a single buck. Ubi knows it and we know it. From Ubi's perspective, torturing your own loyal customers, just for the sake of winning 2-3 days after release, hoping you will have better sale ratio is just naive lol. In fact, Ubi harms self more by doing such things. Aren't they planning to release more games? Who will bother dealing with such a notoriously known DRM or any DRM which ANYHOW requires ANYTYPE of online interaction?
Ditch it please...

AJ_Rimmer_Bsc
03-08-2010, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by fl4nger23:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">p.s. - i know of the DRMs advantages.

Please, please, tell me a SINGLE advantage of this sort of DRM over SecuROM, Star-Force or any other DRM that is out? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

back when starforce came out i was actually one of the ones who had to go through a lawyer to get the money back on a dvd writer that got fried due to the thing going boeing 747 on me.

i got legal aid,the drive was only 98.

but after 6 months i got the cheque.

later i`ll go through my drives and see if i still have the scan of the letter that came with the cheque,denying it had in any way "killed" my drive,BUT heres the money anyway.

as s econd advantage i refer you to the russian tirades that clearly show the drm works,well it works as an anti piracy method.

downside is it also worked in getting me and many others to have to cancel an order,but then again,once its fixed and i buy the game i`ll have saved a fair few quid.

fl4nger23
03-08-2010, 04:00 PM
Don't get me wrong, but do you honestly think that this DRM is an ultimate solution for piracy and it won't be cracked? If it was so, nobody would fire even a single complain about it. Legal Customers would even feel their superiority. They buy - they deserve and nobody will get it for nothing.

And what is happening right now? Exactly the reverse. People who actually bought this game are stuck on authentication for indefinite time. Ohhh.. it is a weekend, Ubi's employees are enjoing it, so nobody there at office/call center to support or point approx time when it will be working and people (mostly students) who want to dedicate their weekends' free time for playing must sit duck there. Meanwhile there is a beta crack and premade savegames and also a possibility to save offline. Is that what DRM is supposed to do? Obviously not.

AJ_Rimmer_Bsc
03-08-2010, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by fl4nger23:
Don't get me wrong, but do you honestly think that this DRM is an ultimate solution for piracy and it won't be cracked? If it was so, nobody would fire even a single complain about it. Legal Customers would even feel their superiority. They buy - they deserve and nobody will get it for nothing.

And what is happening right now? Exactly the reverse. People who actually bought this game are stuck on authentication for indefinite time. Ohhh.. it is a weekend, Ubi's employees are enjoing it, so nobody there at office/call center to support or point approx time when it will be working and people (mostly students) who want to dedicate their weekends' free time for playing must sit duck there. Meanwhile there is a beta crack and premade savegames and also a possibility to save offline. Is that what DRM is supposed to do? Obviously not.

you need to understand something about drm`s.

they are only meant to work for a short time.
they know it will be cracked,the trick is to create a drm that works long enough to justify sales vs customer complaints.

if a drm works for the first week of sales they have a winner,if it is still uncracked after 2 weeks its a phenominal success.

i guarantee it will be patched out,because the servers cant handle it,and people will sooner or later fall foul of the server login problems.

and as its a continuous drain on resources it was always going to be patched out.

and when AC3 comes out,you`ll see exactly the same thing happen then too.

fl4nger23
03-08-2010, 04:27 PM
Thats the whole fun. Pirate won't buy the game anyways. He will rather wait a week and play other cracked games till a decent crack is introduced, while loyal customer will get frustrated because of that DRM. And it may or may not get patched out. Still a customer will have a negative debris in his heart and it will affect his decision on the next release. Seducing a customer is a n1 rule in business and what do we see here? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif But whatever, I don't care anyways.

Best luck.

kelta92
03-08-2010, 04:35 PM
There is no ultimate solution against piracy. they will always be there to hack the games. If a game is good people buy it anyway. As ann example the 2008 Prince of Persia game had no DRM at all. it has sold 2 million copies according to ubi although I do not have any data about the amount sold to PC. Anyway. I do not think this DRM is bad. I think if this is the way then let us do it but please if you force us to be online give us the chance to be online! I do not care about the DRM All I care about that I payed for the abilty to play and I cannot.

NightmareGK13
03-08-2010, 06:22 PM
not sure if anyone read what ubisoft said on twitter but it made me lol harder than anything

"Ubisoft Our servers are under attack again. Some gamers are experiencing trouble signing in. We're working on it and will keep you posted"

rickjames691974
03-09-2010, 06:08 AM
What about me? Little johnny no internet.

I live in a regional area where It costs me a lot of money to have even the smallest bandwith, going over which drops me down to sub-dial up speeds.

Ever think about me? Little johnny who buys single player games cause he can't be connected to the internet?

Little johnny who just got anal rapped by DRM servers that are forcing him to be connected to the internet, yet can't even stay up.

Poor little johnny. Where's the advantages there.

Neo_Age
03-09-2010, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by AJ_Rimmer_Bsc:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fl4nger23:

you need to understand something about drm`s.

they are only meant to work for a short time.
they know it will be cracked,the trick is to create a drm that works long enough to justify sales vs customer complaints.

if a drm works for the first week of sales they have a winner,if it is still uncracked after 2 weeks its a phenominal success.

i guarantee it will be patched out,because the servers cant handle it,and people will sooner or later fall foul of the server login problems.

and as its a continuous drain on resources it was always going to be patched out.

and when AC3 comes out,you`ll see exactly the same thing happen then too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Translation: It is better to plead for forgivness than to ask for permission.

AJ is right, DRM is merely a delaying tool until its cracked, at which point they can either adapt or drop it, likely choosing to drop it as they have already sold the units they would the opening week.

Best solutions, either get a console (lets be honest, PC gaming is dieing and DRM is the cancer that is killing it, and I used to be a PC gamer) or wait a few weeks until ubisoft announces the drm drop.

BTOG46
03-09-2010, 11:05 AM
Please use the existing DRM thread, no need for another one.