PDA

View Full Version : dvd drive locks up when install

lazduc
02-16-2006, 12:53 AM
What is up with this game..it wont load so the
patch I downloaded dosent do me any good. The
error message states the loader is wrong ver for my version of win. I have xp at home 5.1
build 2600. It locks up my cd drive and the only way to get out is to shut down and use a
paper clip to open the drive. Help.
Mike D

AO1_AW_SW_USN
02-16-2006, 01:04 AM
Did you have the game installed previously?

...(sniff, sniff)... smells like Starforce. But I could be wrong.

lazduc
02-16-2006, 10:15 PM
No, I have never installed it on that computer.
I have sucessfully installed and played it on this computer. The computer is wont install on has a sony dvd and a plextor dvdrw. It is amd
4400x2 with 2 7800gts, 2 250 gb maxtor 16mb cach drives in raid with sound blaster x. It is fast..the computer the game runs on is a hp media center computer with 2 dvd's one rw, and powered by intel 3.4ghz with one 128mb vid card and whatever sound. The reason I mention the dvd drive types is I read that that starforce may have a prob with the sony or the plextor or who knows what else. Too bad it wont run on my fast computer as that it what I built it for..games.
any suggestions????
Thanks Mike

p-39driver
03-06-2006, 09:45 AM
HaaaaaHaaaaa!!!!
You think you have problems now!
Just wait until you un-install all of it ,
and try to re-install.
Been trying it for weeks!
"disc may be corrupt or in a format that windows
cannot understand"

Strange,I followed all of the un-installation
and re-installation procedures as out lined at this forum and in the manual.

Still the same result....

Fed up!!!!!!!!!!!!

vanjast
03-06-2006, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by lazduc:
The computer is wont install on has a sony dvd and a plextor dvdrw.

I have a Sony DVD and no problems even B4 the no-cd crack (search forum for this - can't remember where)

Originally posted by lazduc:
....drives in raid....
Thanks Mike

Ahhh!, Raid 'requires'(AFAIK) extra drivers on top of/below Windoze kernel. There might be incompatibilities here, as most game development would go for 'direct' disk access, and as this game has been 'rushed' into production with many bugs and fixups, RAID would be the last thing on their minds. Probably didn't feature at all as RAID is mainly for big servers and not your usual home PC user.

So you have Starforce, which has it's problems, RAID which you have, and the game. I think try it with the no-cd crack to elliminate Starforce problems with RAID. After that don't play it on RAID http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif
edt: to completely elliminate SF from the registry, there is a utility in the same no-cd topic that does this - Do this first then install the no-cd - then try it on RAID.

brieder
03-06-2006, 03:29 PM
Ahhh!, Raid 'requires'(AFAIK) extra drivers on top of/below Windoze kernel.

Yes, in some cases. Others, the hardware can virtualize the interfaces.

There might be incompatibilities here, as most game development would go for 'direct' disk access, and as this game has been 'rushed' into production with many bugs and fixups, RAID would be the last thing on their minds. Probably didn't feature at all as RAID is mainly for big servers and not your usual home PC user.

No. 'Direct' access? Heh. Even on a console no one does 'direct' access. Especially not on Win. RAID would not be a factor. Not trying to be snippy but it's irrelevant.

Rest is good info though.