PDA

View Full Version : Got Track?...Here's a lucky headon from warclouds!

Ebsy
11-16-2005, 01:53 AM
Hi all,

Long time lurker, small time poster here.

I was reading another thread talking about how impossibly hard it was to be successful at a head-on attack. After all, it's all about luck really.

I was flying on Warclouds over the weekend and since I'm new to the online thing I tend to record every single engagement to review later so here's a pure luck headon I'd like to share. It's pretty crazy and it still floors me to see the myriad of possibilities of this game.

Surprisingly, he never managed to get a shot on me...I 'felt' a shudder as he screamed past my windshield and it was only when I was able to view the track later with externals I realised what the 'shudder' actualy was!.

Got Track? Here ---> http://www.typingoutloud.com/ebsy-headon-track.zip (160k ntrk cut down from a much larger track.)

CPS_Vigilante33
11-16-2005, 08:47 AM
hey ebsy....nice kill.....thanks for sharing!

Lordbutter4
11-16-2005, 10:38 AM
head ons hard?????? There not hard at all. The problem is being rammed after hitting, or not hitting at all and ramming. Usually if you hit the enemy, you can be assured you will probably be rammed (hes probabaly going to die anyways, so it seems like a good idea). The best head on ive ever done was on Spits vs 109's we were playing the new N.Euorpe map. On the mission allies come with A-20's to attack a train target and the germans have to kill some allied boats. I just spawned in a 110 carrying 2 SC250's and 2 Mk108's getting ready to attack the ships. Now the 110 base i close to the allied targets and i think an a-20 got lost because of the low fog. Anyways he spotted our airstrip and started coming in to release his bombs on our runway. At this point i just turned on the runway and started rolling. Here was an a-20 heading straight at me to release and im not even off the ground yet. After i gained some speed i pulled the nose up and fired 2 108 shots at the diving bomber. Both my shells slammed into his cockpit and he slammed the ground behind me. His bombs went long and killed the guy behind me. I dropped the nose down and lifted off with a kill already under my belt.

Ebsy
11-16-2005, 11:08 AM
no one said headons were hard. Being successful at them is though and as such they're usually not a good idea, as they often end in a collision for both planes.

What I found interesting about my track is that I shot up his engine enough to disable it, yet he sliced my elevator off with his wing, which in turn made him lose half a wing!. I find the complexity and possibilities of the damage model impressive.

Deadmeat313
11-16-2005, 12:20 PM
And I note on there that one Jerry 109 is in Soviet markings!

Dashed unsporting eh what? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

T.

Kuna15
11-16-2005, 12:28 PM
Good planes for headon attack are generally those with large cannons.
Thanks for track.

danjama
11-16-2005, 02:35 PM
(To the theme of We Will Rock You)

Antons....Antons....Antons...de de de

Antons....willl....fu*k you...de de de

Oilburner_TAW
11-16-2005, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Lordbutter4:
head ons hard?????? There not hard at all. The problem is being rammed after hitting, or not hitting at all and ramming. Usually if you hit the enemy, you can be assured you will probably be rammed (hes probabaly going to die anyways, so it seems like a good idea). The best head on ive ever done was on Spits vs 109's we were playing the new N.Euorpe map. On the mission allies come with A-20's to attack a train target and the germans have to kill some allied boats. I just spawned in a 110 carrying 2 SC250's and 2 Mk108's getting ready to attack the ships. Now the 110 base i close to the allied targets and i think an a-20 got lost because of the low fog. Anyways he spotted our airstrip and started coming in to release his bombs on our runway. At this point i just turned on the runway and started rolling. Here was an a-20 heading straight at me to release and im not even off the ground yet. After i gained some speed i pulled the nose up and fired 2 108 shots at the diving bomber. Both my shells slammed into his cockpit and he slammed the ground behind me. His bombs went long and killed the guy behind me. I dropped the nose down and lifted off with a kill already under my belt.

LOL, I think that was me. All by myself flying in that @#$@$'ng fog looking for trains and then I see a runway and realized I've already passed them. Start to turn in on the runway seeing dust clouds kicking up (from aircraft) then screen goes black. I don't remember releasing bombs but who knows..either way it's deja vu.

ps..I still haven't found the dam trains!

Badsight.
11-16-2005, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Kuna15:
Good planes for headon attack are generally those with large cannons.
Thanks for track. head-ons are usually a mugs game , you never know - you just never know for sure in any of them how they will end up

Atomic - i find MG planes the best for head-ons . the head-ons i win are almost always engine kills or PK's

Xiolablu3
11-16-2005, 09:14 PM
I think the longer someone flys, the more they avoid fighter vs fighter headons. This is certainly true for me, and not many of the aces on the server I play on ever do headons.

They are just too random and best kept away from. OK they can be risked in a Anton, but still many wise 190 flyers will try and avoid this situation.

Of course sometimes you cannot avoid them if you are slow you cannot turn ur a*s to the enemy.

Repeat after me with 1930s British accent: 'Always turn and face the attack'

jugent
11-17-2005, 05:29 AM
It has happend to me a lot of times that when I hit a german plane, it is destroyed and I am alive.

The other day I flew a P-38 h2h on a A6. He hit me with 10+ we collided he lost hes wing and I survived, my wing was damaged but not more than I could land safe.

Did anybody notice the strange move the 109 did splitseconds before the crash. They would have collided spinner to spinner if you prolonge the paths they flew the seconds before the crash.

I dont know the origin of this, but I think that what you see isnt what you get, that the GUI doesnt correspond with the "virtual airspace" where all the calculations of the game is done.

scootertgm
11-17-2005, 10:34 AM
Head ons used to be my favorite trick in the old FB days. I'd fire MG's at 1.5km untill about 700 the break off. Almost every pass the enemy's engine would be smoking after the first pass.

I'd use a P-39N1 most of the time.

tjaika1910
11-17-2005, 12:02 PM
To the original poster: did you hit him at all? Looks like you just collided and he got the most damage.

Ebsy
11-17-2005, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by tjaika1910:
To the original poster: did you hit him at all? Looks like you just collided and he got the most damage.

It's weird. I knew I'd hit him originally when I'd recorded the track, but since you posted that I've re-run the track a few times, sometimes it shows the rounds impacting his wing, sometimes it shows nothing...seems to be slightly different with each viewing.

His engine smokes before we collide though, I must have hit him in the engine. obviously there's more rounds being fired that what you can see with the tracers. I took a screeny of the track where you can clearly see an impact.
http://www.typingoutloud.com/grab1.jpg

I never knew each playthrough of an NTRK produced slightly different results http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Viper2005_
11-17-2005, 01:40 PM
Head on attacks are pretty safe in an Anton if you're a good shot.

Also note that if you're at altitude over friendly territory then the odds are stacked in your favour anyway (unless you're facing a Beaufighter...) because you can always jump and come back in a shiny new aeroplane, whilst your opponent must make it back to his own side of the fence first to avoid capture.

I never back down from head on attacks http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

And that goes double over friendly territory http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif