PDA

View Full Version : Promotions and Medals for the crew, how does it work?

Fifth_Columnist
05-10-2006, 07:49 PM
Hiya all,

Does anyone know what the formula is that is used to calculate the number of promotions and medals awarded at the end of a patrol.

I had a sneaking feeling that skinking warships resulted in more promotions, and merchant tonnage results in more medals, I am sure I could be completely wrong though?

Fifth_Columnist
05-10-2006, 07:49 PM
Hiya all,

Does anyone know what the formula is that is used to calculate the number of promotions and medals awarded at the end of a patrol.

I had a sneaking feeling that skinking warships resulted in more promotions, and merchant tonnage results in more medals, I am sure I could be completely wrong though?

hueywolf123
05-10-2006, 08:13 PM
Well, I've had patrols where I've sunk only two coastal steamers, and been awarded the knights cross, had medals awarded to officers and been given promotions to hand out to crew members. Admittedly, this was in the early years and we were in a type IIA

lecek
05-10-2006, 10:53 PM
1 War Badge per 500 renown earned.
1 Front Clasp per 5000 tons sunk.
1 Iron Cross 2nd class per 20 000 tons sunk.
1 Iron Cross 1st class per 30 000 tons sunk.
1 German Cross per 40 000 tons sunk.
1 Knights Cross per 50 000 tons sunk.

Starting with the Iron Cross 1st class you need to have the previous medels handed out and available as of the end of the last mission.

Example:

1st patrol 24k tons 1600 renown, will earn :
3 War Badges
4 Front Clasps
1 Iron Cross 2nd

2nd patrol 61k tons 2400 renown, will earn:
4 War Badges
12 Front Clasps
3 Iron Cross 2nd
1 Iron Cross 1st (Because only one is among the crew as of the end of this patrol.)

Example 2.
If your crew has 2 Iron Cross 2nd classes and one Iron Cross 1st class, you can only earn a max of 1 Iron Cross 1st class no matter your patrol tonnage because only one is available among your crew.

I hope that wasn't to hard to follow.

You can have up to 4 crew promotions based on your tonnage. I don't know the exact numbers but somewhere around 30k tons will bring you all 4 promotions. You will need to have enough experienced crew available to get all the possible promotions. When you click on a crewman, you will notice his experience is something like 0/20. This means he has no experience and he needs 20 before he is able to be promoted.

You can read more about that here:
http://www.communitymanuals.com/shiii/index.php?title=Main_Page