PDA

View Full Version : Will the sim run smoother if I uninstall and then reinstall?

sledgehammer2
02-22-2006, 07:11 PM
I am running FB/AEP/PF patched to 4.03m. While small unit UQMG stuff runs pretty smoothly, when I run campaign missions I can see my things get choppier.

It is really noticeable since I use TrackIR 3 Pro (without Vector Expansion).

I can also see things get less smooth when I throw in some cloud cover, but in the campaign missions it is really rough sometimes.

My rig isn't top-end by any means but it's not low-end either. I have 1 gig of RAM, an ATI X800XT 256mb vid card, AMD 64 3000+ CPU, I guess I am leaving something out but that's what comes to mind right now.

So my question is, if I totally uninstall and then reinstall (which I haven't done in a year or two) would the sim run smoother? Thanks,

Sledgehammer2

sledgehammer2
02-22-2006, 07:12 PM
Forgot to add that I have a 380 watt power supply in an Antec case. Also using Windows XP.

Waldo.Pepper
02-22-2006, 08:22 PM
Will the sim run smoother if I uninstall and then reinstall?

No!

Hawgdog
02-22-2006, 09:03 PM
yes!

Hawgdog
02-22-2006, 09:03 PM
well..maybe

Hawgdog
02-22-2006, 09:04 PM
No.

Hawgdog
02-22-2006, 09:04 PM
It might, depends.

smatchimo
02-22-2006, 10:40 PM
Sledge, I dont have any documented proof that it improves performance, but after I have switched up drivers a few times and been uninstalling/reinstalling a good amount of other programs, a fresh install is good for performance. Again, this is just by how the game feels, I havent tested it in any way.

Cheers!

tagTaken2
02-23-2006, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by sledgehammer2:
So my question is, if I totally uninstall and then reinstall (which I haven't done in a year or two) would the sim run smoother? Thanks,

Sledgehammer2

A year or two?
I don't know what your pc usage is like, but 6 months is as long as I would go without wiping the windows partition and ghosting everything back on. PCs will slow down a little over time, and I believe it's good practice to do an oil change.

sledgehammer2
02-23-2006, 04:28 AM
I try to keep things cleaned out by running C/Cleaner about once a week - it removes cookies and other assorted junk that builds up over time. I also defrag every couple of weeks or so. I just feel like things should run smoother than the do.

I have the sim at perfect settings, my ATI card set for 6x/4x, no anti-aliasing, v-sync off, 1024x768 res.

Don't remember what mt ATI drivers are but they aren't updated.

WWSensei
02-23-2006, 04:55 AM
Unless your install is corrupted uninstalling and reinstalling *might*, if your lucky, accomplish the same thing as defragging. I've run XP for three years without reinstall, have never reinstalled IL2 since FB came out (just patched over the top).

I defrag each of my drives once a week and use Windoctor to clean out and repair the registry about every 3 or 4 weeks. Keep your system maintained, run antivirus to keep it from getting hosed and there is little need to ever reinstall even the OS.

If you are going to overkill the reinstall OS thing then at least make a clean install, patch it up to current and then Ghost that base image to save you a lot of setup time in the future. I have a baseline XP Ghost image and one I do of my system each week I store on an external drive. Have never needed the XP one, but if I ever do have to start over I don't have to go all the way back to the XP disk.

Saunders1953
02-23-2006, 08:35 AM
What does ghosting mean in this context??? I know what it means in regard to images and monitors, but what exactly does it mean here---backing up files or something like that?

WWSensei
02-23-2006, 09:50 AM
Sorry, I use Symantec's "Ghost" to make a drive image. It's one of the more popular products so it's become a verb to say you "ghost" a drive. There are other utilities that do the same thing but in this context it means a drive image.

icrash
02-23-2006, 09:53 AM
I have a 3 gig processor, gig ram and a lower vid card (radeon 9600xt 128mb)xp pro w/sp2, 400 watt power supply. You can try 1)shut down all xp's extra garbage in the background 2) update video driver, I use the omega driver for ATI, 3)run spyware removal,defrag the C drive, run disk clean up
4)for me, DirectX runs smoother than OpenGL
5)in the config.ini, you can cut off the shadows on the shell bursts, I also set water=0 or 1 I forget (6)cut ansiotropic off, STC3 on, switch from trilinear to bilinear,cut the settings to medium or high, cut clouds off. With all this, mine runs ok with a little micro stutters sometimes, usually when there is a lot of planes & AA fire all going on at one time. Hope this helps.

SeaFireLIV
02-23-2006, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by sledgehammer2:

Sledgehammer2

I would definitely reinstall. I never keep anything running longer than 6-8 months myself before I`ll format my PC.

Anyway, Fb will be fresher and it won`t do any harm. Personally, I`d recommend a TOTAL FORMAT every 8 months, even if you do use plenty of cleanup programs. Don`t forget to defrag at least once a month, especially if you`re always installing/removing stuff.

Saunders1953
02-23-2006, 11:39 AM
Thanks WWSensei. Er, what's a "drive image" do or mean? Can you tell I know just enough to be dangerous? ...for example, I understood everything icrash listed. Go figure.

mortoma
02-23-2006, 05:09 PM
If you use Ghost, it's a good idea to do an image of a drive you have just installed Windows on and have put the most important drivers on, the most important files and the internet set up on. I have been doing this a long time and it has saved me from long tedious hours of installing Windows, installing drivers and Windows updates, then installing some basic programs. Then every once in a while I ghost that image on a blank hard drive, update the drivers to the latest levels and check for more Windows updates and then reghost it all again. If something happens to my HD, then I'm back up in minutes instead of hours. And if the bad HD still has my install of FB+PF intact, I just simply copy it over to the fresh HD. Viola!!

WWSensei
02-23-2006, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Saunders1953:
Thanks WWSensei. Er, what's a "drive image" do or mean? Can you tell I know just enough to be dangerous? ...for example, I understood everything icrash listed. Go figure.

In short, it makes an exact copy of your hard drive and saves in an image file. For example, my 80 gigabyte games hard drive will make about a 15 meg compressed image. I have an external file I save that image off too. My main boot drive is a 30 gig drive about half full and that makes about an 6 gig image.

If my primary hard drive should fail and I have to replace it I can boot from my recovery CD, tell it to reload from the disk image I made and it will restore my system to the exact state my machine was in at the time of the image.

I did this once to replace my 40 gig game drive with an 80 gig. Made an image of the 40 gig drive. Shut down, turned off the machine, swapped drives, booted up and restored from back up image. Total time was about 40 minutes beginning to end.

I use Ghost at work all the time to test our software (write business applications for large enterprise businesses for a living) on various platforms. To change a machine from running Windows Server 2003 to running Windows 2000 Advanced server via different images takes about 30 minutes as opposed to having to build from scratch.

I have an image of our standard developer workstation so if we get a new PC or a new employee I can have them setup and running with all the basic tools in 30 mins or less.

Like I said, Ghost is only one of several similar tools. There are others but all do about the same thing. VERY handy for backups and such. You can even save an image across multiple DVDs if you wish. Personally I have an external 300 Gig drive I save images to.

WWSensei
02-23-2006, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by mortoma:
If you use Ghost, it's a good idea to do an image of a drive you have just installed Windows on and have put the most important drivers on, the most important files and the internet set up on. I have been doing this a long time and it has saved me from long tedious hours of installing Windows, installing drivers and Windows updates, then installing some basic programs. Then every once in a while I ghost that image on a blank hard drive, update the drivers to the latest levels and check for more Windows updates and then reghost it all again. If something happens to my HD, then I'm back up in minutes instead of hours. And if the bad HD still has my install of FB+PF intact, I just simply copy it over to the fresh HD. Viola!!

Yep, mortoma, that's what I do. I have two images. One "base" image of XP with all the latest patches, video, mother board sound etc. The other is an ongoing image of my system I make about every week to two weeks. Every now and then (about every 6 months) I save an image of my current system, restore the "base" image, update drivers, patches, virus defs etc and then make a new "base". When done I restore my current image back to my full up system.

I have 3 hard drives (1 30 and 2 80s) and from scratch to restore them from total failure would take about 45 mins. If I was trying to reinstall XP it would take that long just to put the base OS on much less everything else.

Been thinking IL2 ought to become part of my "base" image. After, it's the first thing I would install anyway. ;-)