PDA

View Full Version : Joystick went crazy: suggestions

Typ356
01-21-2005, 01:06 PM
All was well in the PF+AOE for me until I realized my joystick started to not respond as well on the vertical axis (took a crash or 2 in a ME110 to figure it out). No biggie - I thought - I recalibrated (looks fine on the calibration screen) and refired PF, and now all my planes fly like they are on drugs. A gentle pull on the stick causes a snap stall... unflyable... I am trying to soften the input with the hardware setup menu in gamne, but I am not having good results.

Has this happened to anyone ? I am trying to reproduce the perfect "feel" I had with the game before it all went "funny" on me but I can't... Can I delete/recreate a file or something? The defaults are way more sensitive than before the problem... AFAIK the joystick behaves OK, I don;t understand what changed all of a sudden....

FoolTrottel
01-21-2005, 01:27 PM
What brand/model do you use?
(Could it be a Logitech?)

chaikanut
01-21-2005, 01:53 PM
I am using a saitek evo. Occasionaly when I start the game, the settings seem more sensitive, the plane bouncing up and down at the slightest touch. A quick check in the input settings showed that the green square reached the limits far before the actual range of the joystick. I moved the stick in complete circle and then the range was fine and it worked as before. Dont know why this happens or if it will work for you but try it.

VMF223_Anderson
01-21-2005, 01:55 PM
<S!>

Seems to be a new anomoly, we have had three occurances in our group with axis's going off wack, all in one day, all different types and makes. Exiting and returning to game fixes it so far, bummer in a large coop.

Latico
01-21-2005, 05:21 PM
Are you sure you guys aren't getting your flight simming confused with your solo sexual gratification sessions?

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Sorry...... I just couldn't resist that one LOL

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

SeminoleX
01-21-2005, 08:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Typ356:
All was well in the PF+AOE for me until I realized my joystick started to not respond as well on the vertical axis (took a crash or 2 in a ME110 to figure it out). No biggie - I thought - I recalibrated (looks fine on the calibration screen) and refired PF, and now all my planes fly like they are on drugs. A gentle pull on the stick causes a snap stall... unflyable... I am trying to soften the input with the hardware setup menu in gamne, but I am not having good results.

Has this happened to anyone ? I am trying to reproduce the perfect "feel" I had with the game before it all went "funny" on me but I can't... Can I delete/recreate a file or something? The defaults are way more sensitive than before the problem... AFAIK the joystick behaves OK, I don;t understand what changed all of a sudden.... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How long have you been using your EVO?

On the Saitek forum there have been several posts about the sticks going out after around 8 months of service.

At first I thought that was a lousy deal.... but 30 bucks every 8 months doesn't seem that bad to me...considering the Evo is the best feeling stick I have ever used.

I ordered 2 repalcaement sticks to keep on hand...just in case.

marcocomparato
01-21-2005, 10:59 PM
Check your conf.ini file under the joystick settings there. be sure that every setting there starts with a zero and ends with a one-hundred. (this can fool u, since a setting of zero in the games options would create thus TWO zeros at the begining of the number or two 100's at the end. this is normal and correct.)

chances are u will find a 50 or something for a one-hundred. these numbers on the outside represent the range of values. if set low, then the values higher than 50 actually represent a reverse pull. very confusing if u dont recognize it.

check it out and see if that helps, sir.

Texas LongHorn
01-22-2005, 11:48 AM
Ironically no one has mentionded the simple solution. Assuming the stick is USB, just go into the game controller and CALIBRATE your stick before launching PF, it's as simple as that. All the best, LongHorn

FoolTrottel
01-22-2005, 12:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Texas LongHorn:
Ironically no one has mentionded the simple solution. Assuming the stick is USB, just go into the game controller and CALIBRATE your stick before launching PF, it's as simple as that. All the best, LongHorn <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's no wonder no one mentioned this, as the poster himself wrote: "(...) I recalibrated (looks fine on the calibration screen) (...)"
Cheers!

CreaseKeeper
01-22-2005, 02:48 PM
I'll take a chance and add to this hoping for some help...

MS Sidewinder 2, and I've calibrated a hundred times.

Since the 3.04 patch (I have stand alone) every allied plane I fly the Ailerons automatically drop into a right roll position, it doesn't happen on the Japanese planes, only American (f4f, f4u, p51 etc) I set the trim to neutral, watch the ailerons go back to normal and with-in 2 seconds, they drop back into a right roll.

I've sat on runway, and watched numerous times. I really don't think this is a joystick issue, as its not a factor in other planes. But it's made flying any american steel impossible.

Any ideas?

-S-

marcocomparato
01-22-2005, 03:20 PM
have you checked the settings in my above post?

Raider010
01-22-2005, 03:28 PM
Dirty pots. You can either disasemble the stick, remove the pots, clean them, and solder them back in, or write CHProducts and get GOOD pots, put them in, or go buy a HOTAS. The X45 combo I've had for 4 years is still rock solid, and I had pot problems with the X35 i used to have untill I put CH pots in it.....

BTW, I'm sure you know pots are Potentiometers..

CreaseKeeper
01-22-2005, 03:46 PM
I checked the pots,

Why can I fly one mission in a Zero, no problem, switch to an F4U and fight a constant roll.. jump into a KI84, no problem, get into a stang and fight a constant roll??

If it were the pots or settings it'd do it in ALL the planes? wouldn't it?

-S-

FoolTrottel
01-22-2005, 04:30 PM
Nice how this one is veering off....

Original poster still hasn't told us what stick he's got! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Raider010
01-22-2005, 08:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CreaseKeeper:
I checked the pots,

Why can I fly one mission in a Zero, no problem, switch to an F4U and fight a constant roll.. jump into a KI84, no problem, get into a stang and fight a constant roll??

If it were the pots or settings it'd do it in ALL the planes? wouldn't it?

-S- <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, it would..sorry. Thats the wierdest thing I'VE ever heard...Have you tried NukeUSB and letting the system re-detect?

Raider010
01-22-2005, 08:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FoolTrottel:

Original poster still hasn't told us what stick he's got! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, he did. Saitek EVO.

Tully__
01-22-2005, 09:29 PM
Some Evo's on certain driver versions require the stick to be moved to its extreme ranges of motion each time the machine reboots to "autocalibrate". Try this. If you're still having problems check Saitek's forums (you'll have to register to see them all) for the Evo, apparently some users have had to do a registry change to sort the calibration issues.

FoolTrottel
01-23-2005, 06:54 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Raider010:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FoolTrottel:

Original poster still hasn't told us what stick he's got! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, he did. Saitek EVO. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Raider, show me where he said that ???
- Typ356 starts this thread
- Chaikanut says :" I'm using a Saitek evo."
???
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

crashmaster4000
01-23-2005, 09:42 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Typ356:

Has this happened to anyone ? I am trying to reproduce the perfect "feel" I had with the game before it all went "funny" on me but I can't... Can I delete/recreate a file or something? The defaults are way more sensitive than before the problem... AFAIK the joystick behaves OK, I don;t understand what changed all of a sudden.... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I also have a Saitek Evo thats behaving in a bizarre manner. All axes and buttons work fine but one day the "twist" for the rudder went haywire, and thats the way it's been ever since. I've only had the stick for about 5 months too, kept it immaculately clean. Nothing saitek can tell me will make it work; I've tried dang near everything.