PDA

View Full Version : Torpedo skill qualification for Officers and Petty Officers.

Dron22
01-24-2010, 05:14 PM
Does anyone know for sure if having Officers and Petty Officers with torpedo skill in the torpedo rooms when you fire them improves your chances of hitting the target? Or does it only make reloading faster?
I currently have 2 officers with this skill and 3 petty officers specializing in torpedos, so everytime I fire torpedos from the bow tubes I have an officer and 2 petty officers there, but I am not sure what difference it makes except faster reloading.

HeavyRabbit
01-24-2010, 06:52 PM
Hi:

It's me again, your fellow noobee...

It doesn't matter how much experience there is in the torp room, as to how accurate the shots are.

That would be the efficiency of the Weapons Officer, or the Capt.(You?), depending on what sort of realism you are seeking.

The efficiency of the torp rooms only effects how fast the torps are loaded, which, if you think about how heavy those SOBS were, and the confined space the crew operated in, is not surprising.

Afterall, regard DAS BOOT, in which, the torp crew would grease down the the torps with Vaseline, to make it easier to load them, or at least to protect them from water damage?

Frankly, I have never seen a game in which there is such a challenge as to mathematic approximation, as this game, if you want to calculate that stuff on your own.

I find it fascinating.

Good luck.

Kaleun1961
01-24-2010, 07:37 PM
From my experience it seems only to affect reload times. The auto-target seems to be perfect in its calculations. Failure to hit or detonate is affected by such things as forgetting to open the tube doors before firing, firing from extreme angles, torpedo running depth and other factors such as the target's evasive actions. I've had auto-target hits from long range on my first career patrols with green crew members.

In the old "Aces of the Deep" game there was no option to use manual calculations. It was probably too difficult to program it into games of that day, perhaps. One factor that I did like about that game was that even though it was automatic, the reliability was not perfect but improved with crew experience. It would be a good idea to innovate this into the upcoming SH5.