PDA

View Full Version : AOL, AWOL?

Fliger747
09-27-2004, 01:45 AM
Usally I get on through A(W)OL when I am on the road, which is alot! I have not been able to get on at all through the usual means and finally found a broadband at my 'campout' for the night and was able to acess through 'Internet Exploder'.

Any other unfortunate users or AOL out there have the same problem?

Fliger747
09-27-2004, 01:45 AM
Usally I get on through A(W)OL when I am on the road, which is alot! I have not been able to get on at all through the usual means and finally found a broadband at my 'campout' for the night and was able to acess through 'Internet Exploder'.

Any other unfortunate users or AOL out there have the same problem?

actionhank1786
09-27-2004, 01:48 AM
I used to have AOL, then i shot myself in the face and was happy for a while. Now we've switched to Cable internet via some local company, and i'm never looking back

Maj_Death
09-27-2004, 02:09 AM
My parents were obsessed with AOL up until about a year ago. It always gave us problems, besides being slow it constantly logged us off and was often not even availible. The last two months we had it it was offline continously for the whole two months. Only then with the offer of paying the difference between AOL and a broadband link did my parents agree to switch. The difference was -$2 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif, my parents wern't too thrilled with that one but agreed to switch if I bought the equipment so I of course did. Havn't had any problems since. AOL is by far the worst ISP out there IMHO. It is unrealable, slow and extremely overpriced. I'm not sure why people use AOL still, my parents had it and stuck with it so long simply because it was the first ISP they subscribed to. That really doesn't make much sense to me.

owlwatcher
09-27-2004, 10:06 AM
Tried AOL long time ago.Also took that long to get it off the computer.

There new encription device looks like a real good idea.

Fliger747
09-27-2004, 10:16 AM
A(W)OL isn't my favorite, but I can make it work in Shanghai, Hong Kong, New York or Huntsville Alabama. In fact it can be downright annoying! I also have friends who say 'I wouldn't even use a dialup'.

In life, and aviation, ya do what ya gotta do.

Ahyhoo, it's finally workng, for some reason!

Regards!

TgD Thunderbolt56
09-27-2004, 11:56 AM
AOL is spyware. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Daiichidoku
09-27-2004, 12:37 PM
I used to use AOL for awhile when I was out of the city...no cable or DSL service, so used the free 3 month trial AOL...hated it...hate AOL browser, hate the idiot who tells you "you've got mail"...especially hated that AOL would abruptly disconnect me in the middle of a game

Especially galling was that in Canada, its called AOLCanada.....what, they couldn't call it COL? a-holes....

Anyhow, I moved back to the city a few months ago, got DSL again, and was overjoyed to reformat my comp, and totally remove any possible vestiges of AOL

If I ever lose ISP again, I will never use AOL...I will play spider solitare offline, and email using smoke signals instead, and play FB/PF in my imagination (probably more healthy for me, and my kill/loss ratio much better that way, too)

Thud-487BS
09-27-2004, 01:03 PM
I have Cox Cable at home but rely quite a lot on AOL when I'm traveling. I find it to be much more reliable than some of the other dial-up providers.
From my experience, most of the bad experiences and slow connections I've gotten have been for older phone lines and switching boards in the hotels.
One thing you can do when checking in is to ask the clerk if they provide an internet service. Many of them have it now and some will issue you a wireless adapter free of charge.