PDA

View Full Version : "...you will regret it if you dont purchase it now!"

nvrsummer2
04-05-2005, 10:24 PM
Those reviews on the SH3 home page are a joke. Just once i want one to say..."Sh3 has some minor problems and they left out some promised features, but overall its a great game!" Thats not to much to ask is it!

nvrsummer2
04-05-2005, 10:24 PM
Those reviews on the SH3 home page are a joke. Just once i want one to say..."Sh3 has some minor problems and they left out some promised features, but overall its a great game!" Thats not to much to ask is it!

malkuth
04-05-2005, 10:57 PM
I thought all reviews were pretty fair. Whats your beef?

Frederf220
04-05-2005, 11:10 PM
Oh yeah, the subsim.com review was REAL fair http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif *laughs to the bank*

Iridium_Layer
04-06-2005, 02:50 AM
I am not sure I follow you. ALL the reviews I have read so far have been pretty darn balanced. This game is a new milestone, and even though it has a few flaws and a few glaring omissions, it is by far the very best U-Boat simulator made to date (especially considering it has only been out a few short weeks and has already had two patches released by the developers to address some immediate problems).

As for the reviews on the SH3 homepage, those are just short sound-byte quotes taken from much more extensive reviews. That is exactly what virtually EVERY developer posts on their home page...as is their perogative. That page is there to sell more games, and it would not make very good sense to marginalize the reviews to uphold some higher moral ground whilst losing sales. Does Burger King mention in their ads that eating their food will lead to obesity and heart attacks? Does Ford mention in their advertising that breathing gasoline vapor can lead to health problems? Does Mitsubishi subjugate their "Zoom Zoom" motto with a disclaimer that driving like they show in the ads can lead to an untimely and gory death? Of course not. That is not how advertising works, and a game's homepage is nothing more than passive advertising.

Subsim's review was spot-on, based on the fact that it was written and posted so early and before most of the few omissions and flaws in the game were found out. It does mention some errors, although few. But that is understandable considering what they have to compare this game to. Having personally played every sub-sim since Silent Service (on Nintendo, nonetheless), I can vouch for the incredible achievement that this team has accomplished. Silent Hunter was good, with an awesome campaign...Aces of the Deep was a great game too. Wolfpack sucked eggs, and I was sorely disappointed with SHII because of the few canned missions and the poor AI. Modern sub-sims rarely fared much better, although many were fun in their own right. Without a doubt, though, I consider SHIII to be THE benchmark for all future sub-sims to be measured against, and will be quite happy to wait many years for anyone to come even close to catching up, as it will surely take that long to do so based on the plethora of **** that is produced currently and targeted primarily to the console ADDHD idiots.

If you don't like it, I beg you PLEASE take it back so I can buy another copy for a friend (my closest store is sold out at the moment). In the meantime, I wholeheartedly encourage you to make a better sub game which will be better than this one. I promise you, I will gladly buy it too if it is even close to the detail and near-perfection of this one...

But I won't hold my breath waiting.

malkuth
04-06-2005, 08:12 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Frederf220:
Oh yeah, the subsim.com review was REAL fair http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif *laughs to the bank* <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually neal did alright, until he gave bonus points for things he really liked.

nvrsummer2
04-06-2005, 10:59 AM
Hey I bought and pretty much enjoy this game. My BEEF is that I havn't seen one review where the reviewer has problems like alot of us have. It can be pretty frustrating when you spend an hour chasing down a contact only to have it crash!!! As far as the "...you will regret it if you dont buy it now!" part...The fact that two patches have already been released in three weeks shows this game was rushed out the door. If I had waited a month or more I might not have had these problems.

Frederf220
04-06-2005, 11:08 AM
Oh come now, a fan of the genre reviews a game says:

'Fun game, pretty, some flaws and unfortunate ommisions. OMG 100%!!!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif'

And I'm supposed to take that seriously?

True the text is alright, but the numerical is in left field.

alanschu
04-06-2005, 11:17 AM
Holy "****ed if you do, ****ed if you don't."

People get upset when companies don't support their products.

But when there has been quick support for the products, the company still gets chastized since they "obviously rushed it out."

Cess-SGTRoc
04-06-2005, 01:06 PM
I am seeing this in other game forums, people writing about how bad this game is.
I for one do not think this is bad at all. And for a sim about Subs, as I have had them all. It is one of the best and is getting better.
I am seeing people write about issues that I have never seen happen in this sim and I have been playing it every day sense it came out.

You know , if you look you will see this about every game that comes out, no matter how good it is or what has been done some just take it upon them selves to try to trash the sim. No matter how much work or how many years have gone into it.
If a person does not like this type of sim then don't buy it. Or do not play it.
I for one have been waiting for this game for years, and now that I have it , I have found that it is great.
Could they put more in that would make it better? Yep . But these programers have jumped on they issues that came up and fixed them fast, and fixed them right. That is not what I call something to gripe about.
Give this sim a few more months and I bet we will see things added on that will make a sim that I think is going to win awards, even better.

One thing I have found out from being here at the Fort for all these years is some will complain no matter what! No matter what changes you make or do they will never be happy.
And they seem to want to make everyone else fell the same that they do , no matter what it takes.
So I say again if you do not like it , quit and go to something else. But do not waste out time with post saying you hate it or everyone is wrong about what they say. And only you are right on the makeup of the game.

Flow835
04-06-2005, 01:12 PM
I still think its a great game, and after the 1.2 patch even better. Now i got rain and the protractor.

What i need next is for the sonarman and navigator to plot berings on the nav map and be able to call out berings from the periscope for the navigator to mark and plot.

Right now you are the sole member on the uboat. You don't have any people to work for you, you have to do it all your self, or use the very unrealistic feature of the real time updatet map.

blabla1218
04-06-2005, 02:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Frederf220:
Oh yeah, the subsim.com review was REAL fair http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif *laughs to the bank* <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i too was *a bit* shocked this review (score 100/100, lol!!!).
The problem is that the reviewer has zero credibility in order to make a review :
- the guy is a long time fan of Silent Hunter series who was allowed by ubisoft to have a close eye during SH3 development (and who will now probably have the same privilege for SH4),
- he is also making money each time someone follow the sponsored link "support the site, order SH3 now"

nothing good can come up with people like that, people who make review should be completly independant and objective.
This review is only a part of the commercial process : customer looks SH3 homepage&gt;&gt;customer follows link to SH3 review (OMG 100/100!)&gt;&gt;customer buy SH3 : Mission Accomplished !

Iridium_Layer
04-06-2005, 06:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The problem is that the reviewer has zero credibility in order to make a review <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Oh yeah, the guy who runs the largest dedicated Submarine Simulation Website in the world has no credibility...(and that places you exactly where on the totem pole? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif get serious!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> the guy is a long time fan of Silent Hunter series who was allowed by ubisoft to have a close eye during SH3 development <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Which is one of the reasons why we have a dynamic campaign instead of a short list of predictable canned missions like the last version. How dare someone have access to the developers that YOU dont...the shame of it all!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

I like this one the best:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> people who make review should be completly independant and objective <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Says who? The International Software Review Police? ANYONE can write a review. That is what makes reviews what they are: An impression by an individual or group of individuals of a product or service, written for others to assess and then either accept or dismiss said findings. I read many reviews, and each one generally has a differing viewpoint...but in the case of SH3 they have almost all been universally positive.

Here's an idea: Write your own "objective and independant" review and post it on your website. That way, we will all get another perspective on this game that is more balanced... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

What was that whisper I hear? Oh? No one will see it because you do not have a Submarine Simulation Website that anyone cares to visit? Well then, learn how to market as well as Neal has, and perhaps someday someone will care a wit about your whining that the game should be this or that or have one feature or another that was not included without the evil developers checking with you first. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

I would dare to add that were it NOT for Neal and the community he has personally fostered and maintained, that we may never have even had a SH3 to begin with. You may recall that after the poor release of SH2 and Destroyer Command, that the publisher (Ubisoft, you know the guys who are paying for this board...) had almost given up on naval simulations altogether. Were it not for Subsim and it's forums and community and additional fan sites that it spawned that most of the fixes, additions, and general support that kept SH2 alive, you probably wouldn't have ANYTHING to biotch about today, as SH3 would likely have never seen the light of day. (so perhaps you ARE right, it IS all Neals evil fault) http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

If you want to write a better review than has already been written, then by all means hit that keyboard and get to editing.

Just don't be surprised if nobody gives a wit enough to read it.

malkuth
04-06-2005, 06:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Iridium_Layer:
Here's an idea: Write your own "objective and independant" review and post it on your website. That way, we will all get another perspective on this game that is more balanced... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I agree Neal is a great person, Ive been going to Subsim since 688I days. In fact I have my old user name still on, that I forgot the Password too. Just didnt post much in the Forum until SHIII came out.

Seems when newblood comes around they really don't fathom how much Subsim had an effect on SHIII. Of course no matter what kind of game you make, always going to be someone that complains.

Frederf220
04-06-2005, 08:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Iridium_Layer:
Oh yeah, the guy who runs the largest dedicated Submarine Simulation Website in the world has no credibility...(and that places you exactly _where_ on the totem pole? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif get serious! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you serious? Neal could be the Pope for all I care, no amount of experience and history in a field grants one artistic license with the truth and logic and objectivity. I'm sure the guy is knowlegable, helpful, smells nice, but no one has flawless credibility when they give a game 100% that has admitted flaws and omissions. It's not perfect, but it is.

Arg, well, sorry for beating a mortally wounded mare, but its things like this that fry my synapses.

Iridium_Layer
04-06-2005, 10:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> no amount of experience and history in a field grants one artistic license with the truth and logic and objectivity <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just were did he lose his logic and objectivity? He simply stated that SH3 is the absolute best submarine simulator ever made. Name a better one. Please, I would love to buy it.

He pointed out some flaws that were known at the time, but that review was written before most of us even saw the game in the store. Should he go back and re-write the review? Rarely does a reviewer EVER do that, and most game reviewing sites have a policy against it unless a MAJOR change takes place in the software. That includes all the "big guys".

I personally have not seen many of the "flaws" that some people gripe about on here, and am actually quite impressed with the developers acting so soon with two patches that basically fix what are minor bugs that really effect a very few percentile of the players. Connection issues? ALT-TABing fixed that, and it was not a critical issue for the majority of players...but it was addressed immediately.

Reloading at sea? I do not see anywhere on the box or on their website where that is mentioned. Yes I would sorely LOVE to see milk cows and sub tenders in the game...but I can live without it, and it does not effect the review. I am willing to bet that it is soon to come, as it IS mentioned in the readme file, but it is clear that it is not in the current game, so cannot be declared a "missing feature", or a game killer.

Although I will wholeheartedly agree that a 100% rating was a bit overboard on Neals part (as I don't feel anything ever made is truly 100%), when comparing this sim to virtually everything that has come before it, it is so obviously far ahead in so many ways that I can allow Neal a bit of leeway due to the excitement of seeing something come across his desk that is as much art as it is entertainment.

I would have given it perhaps a 95-97% overall, but that would only be AFTER I lowered virtually everything before it to no better than 60% max to properly balance the scale. Seeing as you cannot go back and re-rate every prior game, I guess giving SH3 a 100% was easier for Neal to write than to give it a more accurate 99.997643% http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Frederf220
04-07-2005, 02:07 AM
Rating a game as 100% in the game of reviews means it's perfect. Just after saying that it was not perfect. Not quite logical and objective. Where you give him leeway, I begrugingly call him on it.

I think the game would have gotten 88-94% or so from PC Gamer, a mag I rather respect for being objective. Pros: Runs smooth, pretty as your friend's prom date, great sounds, AI, depth and customization. Cons: Starforce slows down game loads, handful of bugs, missing wolfpacks, resupply, and radio traffic.

The man is obviously enthused about the topic and the title and he does a reasonable job keeping it under control in the text.

I too applaud for the patch releases.

blabla1218
04-07-2005, 02:40 AM
and that places you exactly _where_ on the totem pole? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
don€t worry for me, i am mature enough with enough gaming experience to make the difference between a review and an advertasing. When i click on a link with written review on it, i expect to find an good article with the Pros and Cons of a game not a biased article, maybe i am expecting to much from people waiting for this game since several years.

Says who? The International Software Review Police? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
You were probably trying to be funny ?...Anyway there is a good idea in here. I know that such a thing would be almost impossible to create but i would definetly support a gaming association with an ethic code.

ANYONE can write a review <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
This is the problem exactly with internet : everyone can do anything. Neverthless, writing a review DOES require certain skills. Nothing wrong with adding enthousiasm in a review but there is a thin line not to be cross between enthousiasm and fanboy attitude.

What was that whisper I hear? Oh? No one will see it because you do not have a Submarine Simulation Website that anyone cares to visit? Well then, learn how to market as well as Neal has, and perhaps someday someone will care a wit about your whining that the game should be this or that or have one feature or another that was not included without the evil developers checking with you first. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

I would dare to add that were it NOT for Neal and the community he has personally fostered and maintained, that we may never have even had a SH3 to begin with. You may recall that after the poor release of SH2 and Destroyer Command, that the publisher (Ubisoft, you know the guys who are paying for this board...) had almost given up on naval simulations altogether. Were it not for Subsim and it's forums and community and additional fan sites that it spawned that most of the fixes, additions, and general support that kept SH2 alive, you probably wouldn't have ANYTHING to biotch about today, as SH3 would likely have never seen the light of day. (so perhaps you ARE right, it IS all Neals evil fault) http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

If you want to write a better review than has already been written, then by all means hit that keyboard and get to editing.

Just don't be surprised if nobody gives a wit enough to read it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Another attempt at humor...you are defintely trying too hard. I dont care that ubisoft had almost drop subsims and i dont care at all that SH3 is the only subsims on the market. Its true that it is the best subsim available and the devs did a pretty good job, but...100/100! Some cons in the game are obvious, and there is no such thing as a perfect game. The peeps at Ubisoft must have been really happy when they added that review on SH3 frontpage.

nvrsummer2
04-07-2005, 02:53 AM
Rating a game as 100% in the game of reviews means it's perfect. Just after saying that it was not perfect. Not quite logical and objective. Where you give him leeway, I begrugingly call him on it.

I think the game would have gotten 88-94% or so from PC Gamer, a mag I rather respect for being objective. Pros: Runs smooth, pretty as your friend's prom date, great sounds, AI, depth and customization. Cons: Starforce slows down game loads, handful of bugs, missing wolfpacks, resupply, and radio traffic.

The man is obviously enthused about the topic and the title and he does a reasonable job keeping it under control in the text.

I too applaud for the patch releases. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

PCgamer is supposed to have a review of it in its next issue.I also respect thier views on games as for me they have been right on.