PDA

View Full Version : Can't take off.. or fly straight and level...

XyZspineZyX
11-06-2003, 07:11 AM
Hey i've had IL-2 for a while... but have never really bother fixing this problem. So was wondering if someone would help me. When ever i try to take off i immediately turn hard to the left. Even after adjusting the trim for the rudder (if that's the right thing to do) it still turns left. This makes it almost impossible to take off in a straight line. Not only does the rudder misplay but the alerions seem to do the same thing. I joystick seems to fuunction correctly like in windows when its centered it shows that its centered in joystick program... its bloody annoying cause i can't take off or land or fly straight and level without holding the joystick off centre and the rudder likewise. Some plz help me... Thx in advance

XyZspineZyX
11-06-2003, 07:11 AM
Hey i've had IL-2 for a while... but have never really bother fixing this problem. So was wondering if someone would help me. When ever i try to take off i immediately turn hard to the left. Even after adjusting the trim for the rudder (if that's the right thing to do) it still turns left. This makes it almost impossible to take off in a straight line. Not only does the rudder misplay but the alerions seem to do the same thing. I joystick seems to fuunction correctly like in windows when its centered it shows that its centered in joystick program... its bloody annoying cause i can't take off or land or fly straight and level without holding the joystick off centre and the rudder likewise. Some plz help me... Thx in advance

XyZspineZyX
11-06-2003, 07:45 AM
S!

Sherman8r wrote:
- ...i can't take
- off or land or fly straight and level without
- holding the joystick off centre and the rudder
- likewise.

You're not supposed to be able to take off without using rudder, and possibly ailerons, to counteract propellor torque. Some planes are affected by this effect more than others. I struggled with this when I first played the IL-2 demo "way back when". In fact I almost gave up completely on IL-2 because it was so hard for me to fly. It does take practice. The IL-2 seems to be the AC least affected by this, so its a good one to start with. The Me-109 isn't bad either, once your lined up straight down the runway.

S!

SKULLS_LZ

Solutions For A Small Bandit

XyZspineZyX
11-06-2003, 07:53 AM
Take a look at this:

http://www.icaghq.com/icaghq/Flight%20School/basics/lessons/elementaryflying/pre-solo.html

<center>http://www.uploadit.org/files/261003-NewSig_06.gif

"Any information that we receive concerning the real world is carefully controlled"

Buzz_25th
11-06-2003, 08:03 AM
You might be giving it throttle too fast. Ease the throttle forward slower. Give it rudder to stay straight, and when the tail lifs off you probably have to give a little aileron to keep the wings level.

Just keep practicing. It gets easier once you get a feel for it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
25th_Buzz
<center>
http://www.elknet.pl/acestory/foto1/anderson3.jpg

XyZspineZyX
11-06-2003, 10:14 AM
ok i see what your saying... but i have to apply so much rudder when taking off that the plane is bloody hard to keep on the runway. It seems that the x and y axis are slightly off centre but the rudder isn't. The plane should fly or at least take off straight without much rudder, but for me its like there's a 200km/hr crosswind on the runway each time i try to take off, regardless which plane i try to pilot. This occurs even when the tail wheel is locked. I donno but it seems that the problem extends further then my piloting skills. Like even when i was piloting a real plane in real life it wasn't that hard... but any advice would be truely helpful.. Thx again

XyZspineZyX
11-06-2003, 10:42 AM
You might also try going into the IL2 hardware setup option, into the Input menu, and adjusting your joystick's deadband and sensativity with the sliders for differant axiis.

Hope that helps http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

XyZspineZyX
11-06-2003, 11:01 AM
ok it seems that ive got the yaw sorted out.. but how do i change the centre for my joystick? it seems to be a bit off centre... ive changed it in windows a number of times, trying to take this into effect, but it does pritty much nothing... anyone? thx

XyZspineZyX
11-06-2003, 11:11 AM
Some aircraft need a lot of rudder to keep them straight. Also the asymmetric airflow over the wings at low (takeoff) speeds caused by the prop seems to result in one wing developing more lift than the other. The I16 is particularly bad at this and will easily flip over. The answer is to push the joystick forward and stick the thing to the ground until you reach a realistic takeoff speed of around 200 kph and then just pop it into the air.

XyZspineZyX
11-06-2003, 12:04 PM
Your joystick isn't a Saitek by any chance is it? I can't remember the exact model, but I had one for a while and it didn't matter what I did, it always pulled left. I looked at the Saitek forum and it seems that they have this problem with a lot of their joysticks (tons of complaints about it there), always off centre and always to the left. They will replace it free of charge, but after reading posts by people that had had three or more replacements with exactly the same problem I cut my losses and got a Logitech Wingman. I know that it's not everybody's choice of stick, but I've never had a problem with it.

XyZspineZyX
11-06-2003, 01:22 PM
Nah its a thrustmaster... it may be broken... had it for like 3 years but the plane doesn't show the moved alerions or rudder or elevator when the joystick is nutral, even though the plane is varing left or rolling or increasing AoA... does this mean no one knowns how to calibrate my joystick through IL-2 (not FB, i am a uni student and can't afford the $60 AUS as yet but as soon as i can...)?

Hawgdog
11-06-2003, 01:45 PM
leadbaloon wrote:
- Your joystick isn't a Saitek by any chance is it?

LOL, this is the reply I was looking for.
Its EVO, those are having some driver issues.
Have you calibrated your stick lately?
Downloaded the latest driers for said stick?
Helps tons if you cal. every so often.

<center></script>When your computer goes to hell, tell 'em HawgDog sent it!
http://users.zoominternet.net/~cgatewood/assets/images/sharkdog.gif

There are no stupid questions,
but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots

XyZspineZyX
11-06-2003, 02:58 PM
What type of aircraft are you trying to fly?

Excessive torque effect will be more noticable in ircraft with big round (radial) engines...example I153, P47, FW190. Try a plane with a non-round engine.

the short airplanes will make it worse.

Try the Microsoft Flight sim program for effective instruction of BASIC flight and taxi information.

Really want some fun, go to local airport that has little planes and ask about an Intro or Demo flight.

361stShrek....