PDA

View Full Version : Patrol04 - PQ attack

paulhager
12-20-2005, 04:04 AM
As you can see from the map, I have encountered another PQ convoy.
http://tinypic.com/iw6xwo.jpg

Note: I believe the island is Bj¸rn¸ya. Previously, I tried to pick up convoys closer to Jan Mayen island. This time I was drawn east to pursue a single contact which I sank.

Unfortunately, weather is bad, so implementing my plan to bring in air support/friendly TF is probably not feasible at this point. I'll go on ahead and attack and attempt to withdraw and shadow.

Ideally, I'd prefer to shadow at night - Autumnal Equinox is approaching so there will be plenty of darkness.

Trydan
12-20-2005, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by paulhager:
I believe the island is Bj¸rn¸ya.
Det stemmer... ¸yen er Bj¸rn¸ya.
That's right... the island is Bj¸rn¸ya.

Thanks for sharing the image/news. I am really interested in seeing whether or not you can bring in some friendly taskforce/Luftwaffe support. Please keep us all posted on your progress!!

Thumbs pressed for better weather! (But I don't like your chances.)

paulhager
12-20-2005, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by Trydan:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paulhager:
I believe the island is Bj¸rn¸ya.
Det stemmer... ¸yen er Bj¸rn¸ya.
That's right... the island is Bj¸rn¸ya.

Thanks for sharing the image/news. I am really interested in seeing whether or not you can bring in some friendly taskforce/Luftwaffe support. Please keep us all posted on your progress!!

Thumbs pressed for better weather! (But I don't like your chances.) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nor do I. As I noted in an the other thread, I think I may start this career over again. Now that I know what to look for, I think I can pick up a convoy far enough to the west so as to draw friendly forces to attack it.

I've been notified of a "friendly TF" twice, on patrols 1 and 2. At the end of patrol 2, I was in the main arm of the fjord, headed east to Narvik and the TF was maybe 50 km behind me headed west. I also noted something very strange on my patrol log afterwards. It said something about 1 BB, and 4 DD's below the list of sunken ships but not part of it. Maybe the log entry had something to do with that TF.

Trydan
12-20-2005, 06:45 AM
I also noted something very strange on my patrol log afterwards. It said something about 1 BB, and 4 DD's below the list of sunken ships but not part of it. Maybe the log entry had something to do with that TF.
Sounds odd... do you have a screenshot of that?

The_Silent_O
12-20-2005, 06:45 AM

Nor do I. As I noted in an the other thread, I think I may start this career over again. Now that I know what to look for, I think I can pick up a convoy far enough to the west so as to draw friendly forces to attack it.

I've been notified of a "friendly TF" twice, on patrols 1 and 2. At the end of patrol 2, I was in the main arm of the fjord, headed east to Narvik and the TF was maybe 50 km behind me headed west. I also noted something very strange on my patrol log afterwards. It said something about 1 BB, and 4 DD's below the list of sunken ships but not part of it. Maybe the log entry had something to do with that TF.

Once I get my XXI in Bergen in 1944, I might just head up this way...

I've got ~23,000 renown now and it's September 1942 and I'm still working out of Brest. I'm averaging about 1500 to 2000 renown a patrol. I'm saving renown by NOT buying any radar, sonar or offesive weapons. Nor am I trading any of my torpedo load. I do have the Metox warning radar and the anti sonar coating.

and I'm playing 77% (map updates and external camera)

paulhager
12-20-2005, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by The_Silent_O:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paulhager:

Once I get my XXI in Bergen in 1944, I might just head up this way...

I've got ~23,000 renown now and it's September 1942 and I'm still working out of Brest. I'm averaging about 1500 to 2000 renown a patrol. I'm saving renown by NOT buying any radar, sonar or offesive weapons. Nor am I trading any of my torpedo load. I do have the Metox warning radar and the anti sonar coating.

and I'm playing 77% (map updates and external camera) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

According to the map supplied with the game, the PQ-QP convoys end in 1942.

In reality, I believe the convoys ended after the PQ-17 disaster in June 1942.

paulhager
12-20-2005, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by Trydan:
I also noted something very strange on my patrol log afterwards. It said something about 1 BB, and 4 DD's below the list of sunken ships but not part of it. Maybe the log entry had something to do with that TF.
Sounds odd... do you have a screenshot of that? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I remember I'll take one when I get home.

The_Silent_O
12-20-2005, 07:13 AM

According to the map supplied with the game, the PQ-QP convoys end in 1942.

In reality, I believe the convoys ended after the PQ-17 disaster in June 1942.

Good point...I guess I'll do some English channel raids...

Saturn5.
12-21-2005, 02:07 AM
Well the map suplied with tha game is not correct as the convoys to the Soviet Union ran from 1941 until the war's end.

Here is an excellent article about these convoys and PQ-17: Death of Convoy PQ-17 (http://historynet.com/wwii/bldeathconvoypg17/index.html)

paulhager
12-21-2005, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by Saturn5.:
Well the map suplied with tha game is not correct as the convoys to the Soviet Union ran from 1941 until the war's end.

Here is an excellent article about these convoys and PQ-17: Death of Convoy PQ-17 (http://historynet.com/wwii/bldeathconvoypg17/index.html)

I read the book THE DESTRUCTION OF PQ-17 not too long ago. Don't recall where I got the idea that convoys to Russia ceased - maybe the PQ-QP designation was retired.