PDA

View Full Version : had difficulty finding it.....custom pilot face tutorial?

elgranchaco
12-30-2008, 02:49 PM
Does anyone have any links to a guide in changing pilots faces with a picture of yourself, celebrities, cartoons, etc? I remember a couple of years ago someone posted a how-to on this and it was really easy, but after picking the game up again i can't find it on the forums. any help is appreciated!

sorry if this should be in the "skins" forum.

elgranchaco
12-30-2008, 02:49 PM
Does anyone have any links to a guide in changing pilots faces with a picture of yourself, celebrities, cartoons, etc? I remember a couple of years ago someone posted a how-to on this and it was really easy, but after picking the game up again i can't find it on the forums. any help is appreciated!

sorry if this should be in the "skins" forum.

Mr_Zooly
12-30-2008, 02:58 PM
on the toolbar above which gives you the option to find, try using the phrase pilot skins.

Ba5tard5word
12-30-2008, 03:02 PM
The search function on this site is really slow, maybe try google, it should provide search results on old topics here.

Divine-Wind
12-30-2008, 03:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ba5tard5word:
The search function on this site is really slow, maybe try google, it should provide search results on old topics here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It's not very user friendly, to be honest. I've seen better ones.

You might try searching in the Paintschemes forum until someone comes along.

major_setback
12-30-2008, 03:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by elgranchaco:

sorry if this should be in the "skins" forum. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here's one i posted a long time ago, it is over-simplified a lot...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

1. First find a pilot skin that already works well in the game. Pick one with a uniform of your choice (the American uniforms seem to be hidden for some reason, so you'll have to pick another!). Make sure that it's a skin that works well in the game. Check how the skin looks by starting a Quick Mission and selecting the skin in the advanced menu (the far right button in Quick Missions).

2. Make a note of the name of the pilot skin. Picture Ru3_18 works very well!!

3. You need a head-on photo. Passport pictures from automatic booths (as in the picture I posted) work perfectly!

You need some sort of picture-editing software; I used 'Photoshop Elements 2' for the pic.

4. When in Photoshop open the chosen pilot skin from the main game folder. These are found under 'Program' or 'Program Files'; then Ubi Soft; Forgotten Battles (or PF); paint schemes; pilots.

5. MAKE A COPY of the picture so as not to ruin the original. You can do this in the edit menu: Duplicate picture.

6. Open the image you want to use as a replacement.

7. Crop (cut it to size) so that it visually resembles the picture of the pilots face in the bottom left-hand corner of the pilot-skin.

Now the tricky bit¦

Your picture must be 196x196 pixels and has to be a '256 colours' bmp file.

8. Change the picture size ('Picture' menu then 'Resize' or 'Change size'); insert 196 PIXELS as both width and height. You might have to un-tick the 'preserve proportions' option ('keep proportions' option or similar). Don't worry about the resolution (size of file) of the image.

9. Select ALL of the image so that you get 'marching ants' around the whole of the picture. You can do this in the 'select' (selection or marking) drop-down menu.

10. Now click on the 'move' tool I the toolbox menu (usually to the left of the screen in Photoshop), this tool looks like a little cross.

11. You need both pictures on screen at the same time now so go to the 'windows', or menu and select 'side by side'.

12. Click on the CENTRE of YOUR picture and keep hold of it (left mouse key depressed) whilst you drag it onto the original skin picture.

Move your pic to the desired position by dragging in the centre of it; you can re-size the pic by dragging at the little squares at the corners and side of the pic. You can also use 'free transform' from the 'image/picture' menu (or by Ctrl + T).

Re-size it until it just covers the original face picture.
(If I remember rightly the picture automatically becomes a bmp when it is dragged to the second image).

13. Once you've got the pic the way you like click on the 'selection' tool in the toolbox/toolbar (dotted line) and then 'deselect' from the 'selection' menu (or by Ctrl + D).

It's now ready for saving.

14. Do a 'Save as' (it should automatically save as a bmp) Name the file, chose a name similar to those used in the game. The name of the file must have no spaces in it not even at the end of the file name!! Click to save, and keep the options as they are (Windows, and 8 bit).

Take your picture out for a test-flight!

The image will be more grainy than the original, this is (I'm told) a shortcoming of Photoshop.

The grain isn't much of a problem though; my picture was grainy and it seems to work OK anyway. Try using different pictures, some give less grain.

Some pictures leave light areas around the sides, this is because the picture is 'projected' onto a curved surface. I painted around the edges of my face, but you can also deform your original picture sideways using the 'move' tool or 'free transform' from one of the menus. This can actually work really well!! (works best if you only adjust the far right and left of the picture).

Getting it right: I did about 20 goes before I got some that worked well, try to get the eyes at the right level at the first crop (cut), this helps a lot. The screenshot that I posted was taken using the zoom view ('Delete' button) in external views with the sun low, hazy and shining directly into my face.

I can't remember the exact procedure I used for the original's shot, you might get better results if you convert YOUR image to a bmp before dragging it to the FB skin. I think this is done under the 'image' menu under maybe 'format' and then change to INDEXED COLOURS. Sorry I don't know the exact names of the menus, I have a foreign language version Elements.
You might also try re-sizing the picture's resolution to 72dpi when you change it's size.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The result:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/major-setback/FBscr040912j.jpg?t=1230677180

Uufflakke
12-30-2008, 04:42 PM
Good explanation Major_Setback!

I don't want to offend you but I prefer to see Salma Hayek as my wing(wo)man. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh195/Uufflakke/SHayekPilot.jpg

Ba5tard5word
12-30-2008, 07:13 PM
Hee hee, I need to tweak this a bit and find a better pic, but I just made a Porco Rosso pilot skin...

http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/5595/porcoryy9.jpg

http://usuarios.lycos.es/ghiblispain/hpbimg/BOTON7porco.jpg

Divine-Wind
12-30-2008, 10:08 PM
lol nice

Have to say, though, I think I'll take Salma Hayek over Porco Rosso anyday http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif